PC & IT 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Re: PC & IT

Postby la papillion » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:33 am

ALAMAK, sorry!! Thks Ishak!
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby blid2def » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Any of you works for Microsoft here? Here, take that:

Farkup browser. Always give me extra work for this forum.

blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby la papillion » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Wow, the pic is nice, esp the first one! Can put it up as a splash screen for my firefox :P
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

PC & IT

Postby ishak » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Intel rolls out computer chip with six brains
16 Sep 2008

Intel on Monday rolled out its first chip with six brains, unveiling a 'multi-core' microprocessor that boosts computing muscle while cutting back on electricity use.

The world's leading computer chip maker's new Xeon 7400 series microprocessor is tailored for businesses that want to boost server performance while conserving on space and energy.

Intel executives say the Xeon 7400 is part of an 'incremental migration' toward chips with limitless numbers of 'cores' that seamlessly and efficiently share demanding computer processing tasks.

Intel and rival Advanced Micro Devices have two-core and four-core chips on the market.

The six-core chip delivers 50 per cent more performance than its quad-core predecessor while using 10 per cent less electric power, according to Intel enterprise group vice president Tom Kilroy.

Electricity and cooling expenses can account for nearly half the cost of running company computer servers.

'It isn't just performance and energy efficiency but the use models,' Mr Kilroy said of the boon promised by increasingly powerful chips. 'One of the major ones is virtualisation.'

Multi-core chips are boons to computing trends including high-definition video viewing online; businesses offering services applications on the Internet; and single servers running many 'virtual' machines.

'There is a realisation that we will be able to bring things to market that weren't feasible four years ago,' MySpace vice president of technical operations Richard Buckingham said while discussing the new chip's potential.

MySpace is among a growing number of Internet companies using 'virtualisation' to essentially multiply the usefulness of computing hardware with software that creates simulated computers complete with operating systems.

'When developers ask you for something you can pull it out of the air, literally,' VeriSign engineering director John Bosco said of virtualisation made possible by multi-core chips.

Multi-core chips basically allow computers to divvy up tasks to work on simultaneously instead of having a single powerful processor handle a job in a linear style from start to finish.

'It helps keep things exciting. Our development community has embraced the multi-core era,' Mr Bosco said.

Dell, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Unisys and Fujitsu are among the computer makers building the new Xeon 7400 chips into servers designed for business networks, according to Intel.

Finally, a six-core!
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
- Albert Einstein
ishak
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:52 am

ishak wrote:Intel rolls out computer chip with six brains
16 Sep 2008
Finally, a six-core!

i am waiting for the hardcore version... 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Internet Phenomena... you might've come across some of these...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby la papillion » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:28 am

I've wanted to share my add-ons for firefox, but have no time. Today I'm a little more free, so here goes:

1. Check4change - periodically checks for changes within a webpage. Basically it autorefreshes for you, with the refreshing time set by the user

2. FEBE - Backup firefox's bookmarks periodically. Excellent add-on

3. Fission - just for appearance. It shows the progress bar while loading a website in the address bar, like safari style.

4. IE tab - allows you to use the embedded IE engine with firefox. I think with Firefox 3, most website can open with firefox, so this is getting redundant.

5. Reminder fox - screams out your things-to-do and reminders at the bottom right corner of your browser. Calender inside too

6. Save session - save all your browsers and closes it at the same time. Used to be useful for me.

7. Smart bookmarks bar - hides bookmark's names in the bookmarks bar, makes it easy to search for the links in the bookmark toolbar by pressing the icons

8. Calculator - added this new one yst. It brings up a very good calculator by pressing Alt-C. Very useful for me.
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby blid2def » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 am

If I remember correctly, Mozilla will be introducing some online services in future, so stuff like bookmarks & preferences can be saved & sync'd online next time through their service (maybe rolled out with Firefox 3.1).

And I need to bring this one up again - Ubiquity from Mozilla Labs. This one rocks, for those who're into command-line stuff, and who like to exploit the capabilities of the FF browser (some scripting by yourself required). Awesome add-on.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby la papillion » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:11 am

GD, I dun know scripting leh..u got any good scripts to share here? We can just cut and paste :)
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby blid2def » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Some simple ones I made (no preview mode or error checking built in; quick and dirty mode)

Google Finance lookup...
usage: "goofin symbol"

Code: Select all
CmdUtils.CreateCommand({
  name: "goofin",
  icon: "http://finance.google.com/favicon.ico",
  description: "Opens the Google Finance page for the input stock ticker",
  homepage: "http://wookup.com",
  author: { name: "grandrake", email: "[email protected]"},
  license: "GPL",
  takes: {"index symbol": noun_arb_text},
  preview: "Shows info for the input stock ticker.",
  execute: function(googlefinance) {
    var url = "http://finance.google.com/finance?q={QUERY}";
    var param = googlefinance.text.toUpperCase();
    var urlString = url.replace("{QUERY}", param);
    Utils.openUrlInBrowser(urlString);
  }
})

Wookup Finance EPS lookup (data source: Briefing.com; reformatted)...
usage: "wookup symbol"

Code: Select all
CmdUtils.CreateCommand({
  name: "wookup",
  icon: "http://wookup.com/favicon.ico",
  description: "Provides eps and links to various resources for the input stock ticker",
  homepage: "http://wookup.com",
  author: { name: "grandrake", email: "[email protected]"},
  license: "GPL",
  takes: {"stock symbol": noun_arb_text},
  preview: "Shows eps and links for the input stock symbol.",
  execute: function(stocklinks) {
    var url = "http://wookup.com/finance/earnings.php?sym={QUERY}";
    var param = stocklinks.text;
    var urlString = url.replace("{QUERY}", param);
    Utils.openUrlInBrowser(urlString);
  }
})