PC & IT 01 (May 08 - Oct 08)

Re: PC & IT

Postby la papillion » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 am

thks K for your feedback :) i'll skip chrome for now...very happy using firefox. I realise that I can use IE only site using the new version 3. I haven't tried cpf or mindef (which die die must use IE) though, no time to test :)
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby winston » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 am

Sony recalls 438,000 laptops on burn concern

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp has launched a voluntary recall of 438,000 Vaio portable computers, citing a potential hazard that could cause the machines to overheat or possibly burn a user.

It is one of the biggest computer recalls since 2006 when Dell Inc recalled 4.1 million notebook computer batteries because they could overheat and catch fire.

Sony's recall affects 72,800 computers in the United States, a Sony spokesman said on Thursday.

Sony received 15 reports of overheating, including one of a consumer who suffered a minor burn, the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission said.

The flaw, in Sony's VGN-TZ100, VGN-TZ200, VGN-TZ300 and VGN-TZ2000 series computers, is related to "irregularly positioned wires near the computer's hinge and/or dislodged screw inside the hinge" that can cause a short circuit and overheat, the agency said.

"This poses a burn hazard to consumers," the agency added. "Sony has initiated a voluntary program to perform a free inspection and, if necessary, a repair to ensure these units meet our high quality standards."

Sony has been dogged in recent years by recalls of laptop computer batteries amid concerns they would overheat and catch fire. In 2006, Dell, Apple Inc, Lenovo Group Ltd, Toshiba Corp and some other PC makers recalled more than 8 million Sony batteries.

Sony declined to comment on the potential cost it will incur to repair the computers.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Kelvin_VP » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:52 am

hey, have u guy heard of the Windows VISA patch ?

After patching, any files u download, it will AUTO delete away one..

sick...
Kelvin_VP
Loafer

Postby blid2def » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:16 am

Kelvin_VP wrote:hey, have u guy heard of the Windows VISA patch ?

sick...

Eh haven't heard of this one - but auto delete meaning? The moment it's downloaded, it's gone?
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby sesdaqfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:23 am

Hi granny,
What would you recommend for a good netbook? Maybe need to do some part time work.
sesdaqfan
Coolie

Postby blid2def » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 am

sesdaqfan wrote:Hi granny,
What would you recommend for a good netbook? Maybe need to do some part time work.

Eh paiseh... I dun really follow or do research on PC h/w parts or products until I need to build/repair my PC... so I'm not really in a position to recommend something. Most of the makers don't differ too much anyway; screen size/quality, weight and battery power should be the main considerations (and DMI / DVI output port for me).

From what I've been told, certain manufacturers may have fewer parts floating around in the secondary market (for after-warranty repairs); e.g. Sony or NEC (I think). So, if your notebook craps out after the warranty period, there may be higher costs for part replacements for such products.

Design-wise, the Macbooks aside, I think Sony, NEC and Fujitsu have the better looking ones. :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby sesdaqfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:17 am

Hey, tango yankee granny for the prompt response.
sesdaqfan
Coolie

Postby kennynah » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:56 pm

sick...

haha...note your avatar is an anime of female in short shirt....careful, u might be starting a trend here....hahaha... wlecome back kelvin_vp
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Kelvin_VP » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

grandrake wrote:

sick...

Eh haven't heard of this one - but auto delete meaning? The moment it's downloaded, it's gone?

yup, after downloading 100%, the file suddenly auto deletes.. i searched some forums, thjey mention it a bug in the patch.
Kelvin_VP
Loafer

Postby Kelvin_VP » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:00 pm

kennynah wrote:

sick...

haha...note your avatar is an anime of female in short shirt....careful, u might be starting a trend here....hahaha... wlecome back kelvin_vp

haha, ppl might mistake me for liking Girls with big swords..

it Shana from the anima series. check it out guys !
Kelvin_VP
Loafer

PreviousNext

Return to Archives