Business Leadership Skills 01 (Jul 09 - Feb 13)

Re: Business Leadership Skills

Postby winston » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:17 pm

"Consumers are statistics. Customers are people."
Stanley Marcus
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Art of War

Postby behappyalways » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Politically-Incorrect Time Management Tips by Craig Ballantyne

So today, let's review a few Politically-Incorrect Time Management Strategies.

Tip 1 - Do not answer the phone or immediately respond to emails

When building your business, you need to be strict about creating blocks of creative time when you can work on projects. Answering every phone call or email disturbs your work and flow, and doubles the length of time to get stuff done.

Be ruthless. Set rules.
Have a block of time for communication and make it known to those who contact you on a regular basis. The more productive you can be during your workday means you'll have more quality time to spend with your family and friends.

Tip 2 - Do not allow people to "drop by"

Again, you must stop the interruptions. After all, what important person drops everything to receive unexpected visitors?

Is Donald Trump going to see you when you pop by the Trump Tower to check out his boardroom? Of course not. And while neither of us are Trump, we have projects that are just as important (to us) as he does to him.

Set your rules. Block your time. Bar the door.

Tip 3 - Do not set expectations you can't meet

Quick and easy access to you is an expectation that cannot be permanently met as your business grows. While you might want to return every email immediately and personally, understand that as your business begins to growc, you simply won't be able to answer every email. So be careful about the precedents you set to avoid future disappointment.

Tip 4 - Respond to emails at a particular time and make that known to everyone who emails you

It's very simple. Answer all of your emails at the end of the day. This prevents unnecessary email conversations from growing.

Most emails - even the ones that seem to be emergencies - are not emergencies. Don't train people to expect immediate responses from you. In fact, train them to expect a response at a given time every day.

Tip 5 - Script Your Day

At the end of every working day, script out your next day. It's very simple. You should have a template that you can insert specific projects into.

Scripting your day is a simple, powerful, and politically-incorrect exercise that will make you more productive and get you closer to your dreams, faster.

Some folks might be offended that you won't drop everything to hear their tales of woe, or commiserate with them about life's injustices, but remember, it's your time, it's your life, and it's your dreams you are after

Source: ETR
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Moods Matters by Bob Tschannen-Moran

In Trust Matters, Megan quotes Solomon and Flores as identifying seven "bad" moods that leaders would do well to avoid. To that list, I would add at least one more:
• Entitlement ("I must get my way.")
• Distrust ("I have to watch my back.")
• Confusion ("I don't know what's going on here or what I'm doing.")
• Panic ("I'll never be able to do this.")
• Cynicism ("Nothing ever really changes around here.")
• Resignation ("I give up.")
• Despair ("Nothing can prevent this looming catastrophe.")
• Resentment ("I don't ever get the respect I deserve.")

Notice how often moods have a generalized, exaggerated, and demanding feel about them.

Words like "never," "don't ever," "nothing," and "must" describe the tonal quality of moods. Moods don't come and go, like feelings, they instead linger and define our way of being as leaders.

That's why it's so important for leaders to work constructively with our feelings and to cultivate positive moods. How we show up emotionally influences and often determines the culture and climate of our organizations as well as what gets done.

To see how that works, turn those "bad" moods around in the list above and then ask yourself the following question: "What kind of leader would I rather work with?"
• Empowerment ("I enable others to find a way.")
• Trust ("I can rely on people.")
• Clarity ("I understand what's happening and what to do.")
• Calm ("I feel comfortable in any situation.")
• Confidence ("Success can be arranged.")
• Determination ("Together, we can get this done.")
• Hope ("Things have a way of working out.")
• Happiness ("People appreciate my contribution and effort.")

Source: Life Trek Provisions
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 pm

"Until we can manage time, we can manage nothing else."
-- Peter F. Drucker
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Spare a Smile

On Wednesday evening, while wandering around Toronto in a late summer's gentle drizzle, I learned a valuable lesson from an unlikely source.

As I walked down Yonge Street, a young man begging for change held up a sign that said, "Spare a smile?" .

Automatically I said, "No, sorry", before I realized he hasn't made the common request for spare change. He replied with a great big smile on his face, "Don't be sorry, it's only a smile."

I laughed. We chatted. I spared some change and went on my way.

This young man caught my attention and added value (the laugh and the smile) to my life.

That's what every business should aspire to do - get attention and deliver value to their customers.

As you can see, I believe there are lessons everywhere, from everyone.

Source: ETR
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:04 pm

"Skill and confidence are an unconquered army."
-- George Herbert
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 pm

"To be successful, you have to be able to relate to people; they have to be satisfied with your personality, to be able to do business with you and to build a relationship with mutual trust."
-- George Ross
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:32 am

At Disney, the oldest joke about the Imagineers - goes like this:

Q: How many Imagineers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Why does it have to be a light bulb?
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:06 am

Trust Your Subordinates by Brian Tracy

Here are two things you can do immediately to bring out the very best from the people who look up to you.

First, make people feel important. Tell them how important and valuable they are and then give them both the responsibility and the opportunity to do their job, the very best they know how.

Second, set a good example. Be an inspirational leader by being a role model, for everyone else to follow. The more people look up to you, the better they will do their work and the happier they will be.

Source: Brian Tracy International
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives