Charity & Volunteering 01 (Jun 08 - Mar 11)

Re: Volunteering

Postby blid2def » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 am

For those interested:

Friends of the Library: http://vms.nlb.gov.sg/MainServlet
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: Public Service Volunteering

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:07 pm

GR :

i think to be public spirited is terrific...

i looked at the link and i see that the Library is actually looking for "free labour", disguised as "volunteers", mainly to "shelve" read books back to the racks. I think there is a fine line between engaging volunteers and free loading them with menial work...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm

kennynah wrote:GR :

i think to be public spirited is terrific...

i looked at the link and i see that the Library is actually looking for "free labour", disguised as "volunteers", mainly to "shelve" read books back to the racks. I think there is a fine line between engaging volunteers and free loading them with menial work...

I leave it up to individuals to decide if they're being taken advantage of, or if they feel that the work is worthwhile.
It's called volunteer work because people can choose not to do them. :)
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:25 pm

haha....what a way to look at....a choice given, hence it is called volunteer work....

some one said we have an "honest" system here... if so, that must include being honest about the intentions. better they just say, "sorry, we have no budget, but too much work, hence we seek helpers who are willing to do this manual work for us."

i dislike the misuse of the term, "Public Service Volunteering"

in fact, why just narrow the work to shelving books, if the volunteer so likes, he can choose to wash the toilet as well, or clean the window panes, or help the visually handicapped who wish to borrow books, or be a vigilante corp going around shutting the gaps of children shouting and running amok, so why just be so specific as to state "shelving" as the workscope...?

i dun have the answers....it's blowing in the wind....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:31 pm

it goes into the KPI (very important for year end review)

eg. Achievements 2008
- started "Public Service Volunteering" initiative; resulting in cost-savings of $Xm
- started Tell-A-Story initiative; increased readership and borrowings by Y,000s
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:33 pm

hahahaha...and i tot i was cynical....hahaha....u lagi best 802 :lol:

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Well, if you want to go all out to be cynical or pedantic, I could call it "Volunteering for stupid work" and you'd still have something to shoot at. :mrgreen:
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm

that is true lah....i was just knit picking...but if we all knit picked, that will help all of us as a Nation, to improve, dont u think? :?:

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:09 pm

kennynah wrote:that is true lah....i was just knit picking...but if we all knit picked, that will help all of us as a Nation, to improve, dont u think? :?:

It's definitely fine to have a critical eye to watch over things, but I think that one has to be careful not to cross from being critical to cynical. How do you think it feels like for a volunteer to perform a task they find meaningful or which they enjoy doing, only for us to scoff at the value of their work, and at them working like mindless sheep ignorant of their masters' manipulation?

Yes, organizations can and do sugar coat "cost-saving" with "volunteering", but ultimately, if I benefit from the volunteers' work, then speaking for myself, I'd rather appreciate their work rather than laugh at them or question/pan they or their organizations' motives.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm

kennynah wrote:haha....what a way to look at....a choice given, hence it is called volunteer work....

some one said we have an "honest" system here... if so, that must include being honest about the intentions. better they just say, "sorry, we have no budget, but too much work, hence we seek helpers who are willing to do this manual work for us."

i dislike the misuse of the term, "Public Service Volunteering"

in fact, why just narrow the work to shelving books, if the volunteer so likes, he can choose to wash the toilet as well, or clean the window panes, or help the visually handicapped who wish to borrow books, or be a vigilante corp going around shutting the gaps of children shouting and running amok, so why just be so specific as to state "shelving" as the workscope...?

i dun have the answers....it's blowing in the wind....

K - this PSV happens all the time.. super loads of kiasu parents all volunteer at the best school to try to get their kids into them... Sorly, I think it is stupid.. if you kid does not have the motor size, putting her/him into a Ferrari will crash her.. :lol:

The last time I saw on the news, there is a long waiting list of potential volunteers for top schools like Nanyang etc..... go figure!!! And these "volunteers" will stop volunteering once their kids get into Primary 1... haha!!

One of my friend moved from Woodlands to Clementi, bought a condo there just so that his six year old daughter can get into the school of his choice...

CAN means CAN - Kuan Tao is Kuan Tao.. :D

Maybe Grassroots leader oso can get priority to Primary School???
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives