AAR & TOL 03 (Aug 09 - Dec 13)

Re: AAR & TOL 03 (Aug 09 - Dec 11)

Postby winston » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

TOL:-

So why are you selling your HK & Spore shares ?

Because the Dow dropped 420 points overnight ? But why did the US dropped 420 points ?

Because the US economy is weak ? Because Europe is collapsing ? Because US lost it's AAA ?

Are these new news ? Did you not know about these things a long time ago ? And if you knew about these stuff already, then why are you selling now ?

More importantly, when you already knew about this stuff, why did you continue to buy ? Because your FD is paying onlyu 0.5% ?

So where are you now ? Trying to get 7% dividends, how much have u lost already ?
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Don't u just love to con de fuse everyone :-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Chinaman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Markets swing like a roller coaster within short period and not normal swing dead hard swing.

Has the world change? In fact no, whatever bad news we already know and it only keep on repeating.

Of late, investor easily got panic and such behavior is irrational.

Well the lower the index dive, logically the more you buy.

Patient is the winner, will we see another few 100 pts drop???
Chinaman
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Aspellian » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Chinaman wrote:Of late, investor easily got panic and such behavior is irrational.

Well the lower the index dive, logically the more you buy.

Patient is the winner, will we see another few 100 pts drop???

Hi Uncle China,

I agree with u. Theoretically - one should be greedy when others are fearful. and if one has DEEP pockets to keep on averaging down then should be fine. I have friends who managed to do that very well by buying fundamentally strong stocks eg. Ho Bee and ARA during the last crisis. So the key is to identify companies whereby their business fortunes will continue to grow with strong cashflows despite this market turmoil...

or simply just stay on the sidelines and watch... cheap will get cheaper. Its irrationality for STI then to hit 1400 points... as if it is end of the world. . so it just shows everything is possible.

So i also reminding myself not to be too pessimistic and be nimble. If mkt turned around then just buy lor, doesnt work out? cut loss and move on. just keep things simple.

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby Aspellian » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:41 pm

kennynah wrote:Don't u just love to con de fuse everyone :-)

I truly agree!!! :lol:

I dare not ask myself any questions now - almost like asking "WHO AM I"!!!???? :mrgreen:

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby iam802 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:02 pm

TOL:
I suggest that we spend some money at Universal Studios.

Go for the roller coaster ride. After you are done, queue up and do it again and again (until you are used to it).

Once you achieved that, come back to the market. You should be able to 'walk on water' by then.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:53 am

After Action Review ( AAR )

1. What did I do right in the past two months and should continue to do ?

a. Managed to raise my Cash Level to about 70% before the correction.

b. Sold some high beta counters before the correction eg. Wilmar & Yangzhou

c. Sold S&P Inverse ETF at the range high. Will buy back those S&P Inverse ETF later on. Need to remind myself that these Inverse ETFs are for trading not for sitting on.

d. Traded those Bull & Bear Warrants on HSI. Extreme leverage so a Mental Stop Loss is needed. Ideally, one should also key in the Stop Loss after putting in the order but the market makers has a habit of trying to hit the Stops.

e. I have managed to block out the opinions and noise of others when I'm trading those Bull & Bear Warrants. When you are engaged in a battle, you need to stay focus and be in the present. There will always be conflicting opinions so you just have to trade your "gut feel". If you are wrong, hopefully, your stop loss would save you.

2. What did I do wrong in the past two months and should try to improve on ?

a. Picked up some falling knives too soon. Need to be more patient and wait for the knife to touch the ground first. At the same time, I need to take action when things are ridiculously cheap.

b. Should have traded the EUR instead of sitting on it. However, I was not comfortable being in the SGD so I sat onto the EUR for too long. Will be taking those EUR out at month end.

c. I need to be greedier when the God of Wealth comes knocking on the door. I need to trade 10 times my normal size when things are in my favor, especially when I've a Bear Put when the market is plunging. Such opportunities only comes once in a blue moon so I need to reap it.

d. When you are trading the WMD, your sense of reality becomes distorted. Suddenly, you are no longer interested in profits of 5% but you are always looking for that 30% move within 10 minutes.

e. Need to remind myself to stay grounded and to keep an eye on those 5% profits as well especially if they arrive within a few minutes. A Trailing Stop Loss will enable me to to let things run and to protect the existing profits.

f. I'm not taking enough risk, my position size is too small and I'm not trading enough. I need to trade more. If I'm wrong then the Stop Loss would take me out. If you dont step up and play, how are you going to get that home-run ?
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

School of Hard Knocks 02 (Jan 10 - Jan 13)

Postby winston » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 am

After Action Review ( 2012 Trading )

1. What did I do right and should continue to do
2. What did I do wrong and should try to improve upon

Just scanned my trading results for 2012...

I got burnt once this year. It was because I did not put in a Stop Loss while playing with a Warrant.

Reminder: If you wanna play with a WMD, make sure you always key in a Stop.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: School of Hard Knocks 02 (Jan 10 - Jan 13)

Postby winston » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 am

After Action Review ( Time Stop Loss )

Another consistent mistake that I have been making, is not to put a Time Stop Loss on my investments.

This means that if something is not working out well, I should cut it within a certain time:-

1. If I'm Scalping, it should be cut within 2 days

2. If I'm Swing Trading, it should be cut within 2 weeks

3. If I'm Position Trading, I should cut it within 3 months
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives