CFA

CFA

Postby sidney » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 pm

I am wondering if anyone out there is taking CFA? If so what's the approach going be like.. like attending kaplan or self study or form self study kakis?

Actually i made a goal to attempt to attempt lv1 in dec 09, but i postpone it for 2 reasons, 1 is having to concentrate on nyp, which is a pretty much last min decision to enrole. 2 is i haven muster the discipline to do it.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Re: Education

Postby blid2def » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:44 pm

sidney wrote:I am wondering if anyone out there is taking CFA? If so what's the approach going be like.. like attending kaplan or self study or form self study kakis?

Actually i made a goal to attempt to attempt lv1 in dec 09, but i postpone it for 2 reasons, 1 is having to concentrate on nyp, which is a pretty much last min decision to enrole. 2 is i haven muster the discipline to do it.

There's some people who talked about this in HWZ also... I went there to check out what the proper process was (in terms of which modules were needed) and came across a thread where folks talked about the siongness of some modules. Looks like most folks there just took the materials, and self-study. Okay, I think some people sell past year papers on the Web... :D

Anyway, the words "study" and "siong" put me off, so I ended up not taking it. Hehehe... Let's see what comments you get here, especially since I believe some of our members should've passed liao. Or if you don't get anything here, check over at HWZ or Clubsnap.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: Education

Postby sidney » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:32 am

Arghh... will power is so impt.

I'm the type who really needs to put money on the line before i get serious. But the edu fee is so expensive... I'll be back to square 1 if i were to opt for kaplan.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Re: CFA

Postby HengHeng » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:34 am

Unless u are climbing the corporate ladder or else CFA is actually useless at the end of the day assuming if you aren't gonna put it to use. Took until lvl 2 then i realised that i do not need it , coz i dun think i need to improve my reputation by putting a CFA behind my name :P

Well at the end of the day , everyone have their opinions and my opinions are totally mine alone... others might view CFA as the their ultimate prove of their financial education. To me , as long as i can afford whatever i want , i think thats prove enough that my financial education is working.

Personally i think getting a MBA would be more useful ... lol .. thats my personal opinion as well .. some masters are pretty useful , go some country work dun need working permit .. LOL
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby sidney » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Hengheng, at least u conquer lv1. I cannot even put action to where my mouth was.

Hmm, i had seen various comparisons on MBA Vs CFA. To me, CFA save money, as in is it cheaper than MBA, provided pass the first time, everytime. And besides its narrow in scope, therefore in financial section is better..

But here comes the cons, Mbas can more easiler switch industry. E.g. if i work in engr, having CFA, means almost nothing.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby HengHeng » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:15 pm

well i didn't finish it even though i can try very hard to finish it ... it really requires alot of discipline to finish it though.
So it isn't anything to be proud of. At least i'm not ... what is so hard to do ? Just multiple choice , i alot of question tii kiam one .. coz i really dunno the answer .. just heng heng pass nia ..

Ultimately , you have to ask yourself this question . Why are u getting this "piece" of paper .. at the end of the day , is it to prove to others that you are capable of passing this paper or is your intention is to gain the knowledge through the process.

My opinions is if you are working for someone then by all means go all the way for your paper chase but if you are working for yourself , you don't really need a pretty resume ... LOL .. personally a piece of paper for me is useful but it is not really absolutely neccessary.
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby helios » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 am

HengHeng wrote:Personally i think getting a MBA would be more useful ... .. thats my personal opinion as well .. some masters are pretty useful , go some country work dun need working permit .. LOL

yo interestingly that Heng Heng pointed this out earlier ...

i'm thinking of taking a Finance MBA under PSB Academy. perhaps sept-oct intake.

Link: http://www.psb-academy.edu.sg/academic- ... -Finance-/

:arrow: what do you all think about this course??
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Wed May 13, 2009 1:00 am

my opinion.... it is which MBA school one graduate's from that will make your CV stand out...

imagine...and no offense intended here... an MBA from Informatics (if they ever choose to conduct this course).... would any employer be impressed... i duno...but i know..i won't be...

personally, i prefer photography course...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby helios » Wed May 13, 2009 1:46 am

frankly speaking, i don't think the Brand of MBA is crucial, as Singapore is a small place ... i like this course, simply because of the mix of modules, including finance, marketing and CSR.

also, the batch of MBA students in NUS/ NTU ... erm ... if you worked with any of the student, you will know the 'quality'... i think, their brandname is diluted with intake of china/ foreign students, etc ... been holding back on decision ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 am

San San wrote:also, the batch of MBA students in NUS/ NTU ... erm ... if you worked with any of the student, you will know the 'quality'... i think, their brandname is diluted with intake of china/ foreign students, etc ... been holding back on decision ...

but of cos....what is NUS/NTU when compared to the more established MBA schools from USA and Europe?

San San wrote:if you worked with any of the student, you will know the 'quality'

i guess you didnt work with enough MBA graduates from NTU/NUS to know the class A quality some of them possess...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Return to Archives