AAR & TOL 02 (Nov 08 - Jul 09)

Re: AAR & TOL (Nov08 - Jul09)

Postby winston » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 pm

TOL:-

I wrote somewhere to remind myself to be patient and not to take action too early. Always buy a put on the rebound and not on the way down, in case you are whip-sawed. Preferably at R2 or R3.

In addition, there's no strong catalyst for a drop. Unemployment numbers are not strong enough a catalyst. It has to be something unexpected. Maybe very bad earnings during earnings season, that would trigger a round of downgrades by the Analysts.

Fear is not present which is good. People are complacent so they would be buying on dips even after the market has turn downwards, thinking that liquidity will forever be there.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:20 pm

winston wrote:TOL:-

Fear is not present which is good. People are complacent so they would be buying on dips even after the market has turn downwards, thinking that liquidity will forever be there.

why do you say that lack of fear is good when you are waiting for market to drop? :?:
is it because when the drop do come, it will be big time drop as a result of complacency?

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Ha Ha... Yes, when you are expecting the market to drop, you are hoping that people will buy on dips, while the market continue it's drop..

Having said that, I dont see any steep drop ahead so the best can happen is just a trading market ..
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby chaibu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:34 pm

kennynah wrote:frankly...duno what those turtles, tortoise, orguis, etc...ya..read the book...nice to read..inspirational...but it's just a man's account of his past and trading experiences...nothing like getting your hands into the market..and learn the hard way... just play the game diligently is enough... alot theory...not much use one... like learning how to swim on dry land... wont ever make it...

something to back you up...

Can you really explain to a fish what it's like to walk on land? Buffett asks. "One day on land is worth
a thousand years of talking about it and one day running a business has exactly the same value."
chaibu
Loafer

Postby BlackCat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Different traders have different strategy, what works for me might not work for you. You have to explore what kind of trader you are, that fits your personality. There is no right or wrong method as long as you make money.

Thanks for the reminder. Not intending to start an argument...hope my posts did not come across as too stubborn or argumentative. Just trying to write down my thoughts as I adapt my investment strategy...all the best.
I wait until there is money lying in the corner, and all I have to do is go over there and pick it up.
Jim Rogers
BlackCat
Loafer

Postby winston » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi BC,

I did not find your post offensive and I like the variety.

Take care,
Winston
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

BlackCat wrote:
Different traders have different strategy, what works for me might not work for you. You have to explore what kind of trader you are, that fits your personality. There is no right or wrong method as long as you make money.

Thanks for the reminder. Not intending to start an argument...hope my posts did not come across as too stubborn or argumentative. Just trying to write down my thoughts as I adapt my investment strategy...all the best.

not offensive at all.... dont worry.... perhaps i come across as being impatient... pardon me...

anyways.... as a down to earth suggestion... read, and read alot...it is a good start...then, practice...and i assure you, you must be prepared to begin losing money...so, dont dump all in the 1st time... if you have $10K to spare... use 1K...almost 100%, you will eventually lose this 1K...

the impt thing is the practical lessons you learn from losing this 1K...which must outweigh the dollar value of this 1K...and then...put in another 1K... and i can also almost assure you...you are likely to lose this 1K as well...

this will go on for some time..BUT along the way...you will come to some positive realisation....and when you refer to this thread again, you will know what i mean...

good luck.... take care
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby kennynah » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:35 am

chaibu wrote:
kennynah wrote:frankly...duno what those turtles, tortoise, orguis, etc...ya..read the book...nice to read..inspirational...but it's just a man's account of his past and trading experiences...nothing like getting your hands into the market..and learn the hard way... just play the game diligently is enough... alot theory...not much use one... like learning how to swim on dry land... wont ever make it...

something to back you up...

Can you really explain to a fish what it's like to walk on land? Buffett asks. "One day on land is worth
a thousand years of talking about it and one day running a business has exactly the same value."

yeah.... it is quite difficult to explain....indeed... we all have to go thru then cycle....just like learning how to bicycle...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Poles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:24 am

kennynah wrote:
BlackCat wrote:

not offensive at all.... dont worry.... perhaps i come across as being impatient... pardon me...

anyways.... as a down to earth suggestion... read, and read alot...it is a good start...then, practice...and i assure you, you must be prepared to begin losing money...so, dont dump all in the 1st time... if you have $10K to spare... use 1K...almost 100%, you will eventually lose this 1K...

the impt thing is the practical lessons you learn from losing this 1K...which must outweigh the dollar value of this 1K...and then...put in another 1K... and i can also almost assure you...you are likely to lose this 1K as well...

this will go on for some time..BUT along the way...you will come to some positive realisation....and when you refer to this thread again, you will know what i mean...

good luck.... take care

i agree, you learn more when losing $$$ and it gets "tattoo" in your head......
winning sometimes get abit carried away......
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby winston » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm

As this thread is getting a bit long, I have moved my bi-monthly Investmet Ideas into new thread titled, " Winston's Investment Ideas", located in the Blog Subsection.

I will continue to use this thread to brianstorm...

============================================

I have been thinking about what Jim Rogers said the other day. He's very patient and would always wait for an opportunity to materialize..

The example that he used:-
It's like somebody putting money for him at a corner and all he has to do is just go to that corner to pick the money up. I guess this requires alot of patient and when the opportunity materialize, dont hesitate to take action.

How do we recognize an opportunity ? I guess it first depends on our familiarity with that Asset Class eg. Property, Bond, Equity or Commodity etc..

When an asset has fallen 80% to 90% ? When prices have dropped steeply, while fundamentals have detiorated only slightly ?
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives