Gold, Silver & Other Precious Metals 02 (Nov 08 - Jul 09)

Re: Gold, Silver & Everything Nice (Nov 08 - Jul 09)

Postby winston » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Yes, for storage of value lah which is better than nothing after WW2, as those Japanese Banana Money is worthless ..
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Stats of the Week: 105%
Gain in the price of gold in the past four years. The S&P 500 is down 28% in the same time.

Source: Daily Wealth
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Why I'm Happy to Hold Wealth in Gold and Silver By Chris Weber, Daily Wealth

Now that the first half of 2009 is over, I have to say I'm very happy with the way gold, silver, and platinum have done this year. I've been keeping a large portion of my money in the metals for years.

I like the way that the spotlight has now turned away from them, but quietly – when you look back on the year so far – they all have had solid gains. Quiet gains; those are my favorite kind.

Gold has had three consecutive rising quarters now. But more important, it has been holding most of the huge gains of the bull market of recent years.

Most other assets that have jumped hugely spike up and then collapse for years: Think real estate and high tech stocks. But gold has been in a great bull market for a decade and, though still in a corrective phase, has still risen solidly for months.

It started the year at $880; at mid-year it is $926.70. That's a rise of 5.3%, or 10.6% annualized (though no one knows how the rest of the year will play out).

Again, to me, this is great action. Quietly, gold has added about one percent per month so far this year. And no one is talking about it. Huge falls have proven temporary, but these are what people focus on. All the while, over time, the price rises. I'd be happy to take a 10% annual rate of return consistently on anything.

And if double-digit annualized returns are what gold is giving when it is "sleeping," what will it do when it awakes?

Silver started the year at $11.33. At mid-year, it was $13.54. Again, maybe many are not satisfied. But do the math and you get a 19.5% return. That's nearly 40% annualized. What's to complain about? And even more so than with gold, the focus of the public is far from silver. You give me an asset that rises by nearly 20% in six months with no one watching it, and I'll be happy.

Finally, platinum climbed 27.5% in the first half of this year, the best of all. However, this one is the most volatile and thinly traded. Still, if the Dow had soared 20-something percent since the first of the year, everyone would be crowing.

And indeed, bullishness has returned on the stock markets. Most everyone now believes things will get great or continue great. But this kind of thinking for markets that have barely moved since 2009 began is misplaced. All that has happened is that they have risen from their March lows.

I expected this... Back in mid-March, when I suggested to my readers that one could buy virtually any stock, I said that a rally would cause great bullishness to return. And so it has. But one has been better off just by sitting in gold and silver and doing nothing else.

Moreover, the stock markets look quite vulnerable. The Dow Transport Index has not confirmed the last high in the Dow Industrials. And both the Dow and most other global stock markets have been doing nothing much for the past few weeks. Moreover, they have been doing it on ever-lower volume. It is possible that the bear market rally has seen its best days.

All this is why I'm happy to continue holding a large position in precious metals. Granted, their performance this year isn't as spectacular as many hoped it would be. But in gold, I own a relentlessly rising asset that benefits from the competitive currency devaluations I discussed last month. In today's world, that lets me sleep soundly every night.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby HengHeng » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:29 am

30 years later how u know whether if gold would be worthless? What happen if suddenly some joker which is an alchemist suddenly is able to produce gold from lead?

I did mention before 30 yrs ago .. during 1979-1980 some joker actually bought gold at 800 .. after 30 yrs .. he would be seeing only slightly more than 10% returns .. then how ? Somemore USD/SGD value drop like dog as compared to then?
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:54 am

HengHeng wrote:30 years later how u know whether if gold would be worthless? What happen if suddenly some joker which is an alchemist suddenly is able to produce gold from lead?

oh....you also know the dark secret....that da vini did that a long time ago....shhhh.....don't tell others... ;)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby HengHeng » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:19 am

shhhh .. later no one come my shop buy gold liaoz .. LOL .. joking ..
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:26 am

HengHeng wrote:30 years later how u know whether if gold would be worthless? What happen if suddenly some joker which is an alchemist suddenly is able to produce gold from lead?

Agree. Who knows what will happen to Orchard Road 30 years from now ? Maybe it will be under water at that tme. So, there's a need to constantly monitor the investment and decide whether one wants to hold or fold.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:07 pm

China’s Gold Reserves Unchanged in June, Central Bank Says

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- China said its gold reserves were unchanged in June compared with April, according to a statement from the central bank.

The People’s Bank of China held 33.89 million fine troy ounces of gold on June 30, the bank said in a statement on its Web site today. The holdings are equivalent to 1,054 metric tons, Duan Shihua, senior analyst at Nanhua Futures Institute, said by phone from Shanghai.

China has boosted its gold reserves by 76 percent since 2003 and has the world’s fifth-largest holding by country, the State Administration of Foreign Exchange said on April 24. The nation increased its reserves by 454 tons to 1,054 tons during that period, even as the reported level of Chinese gold reserves didn’t change from January 2003 to April this year.

Gold climbed to a record $1,032.70 an ounce on March 17 last year and was little changed today at $926.03 an ounce at 11:30 a.m. local time in Singapore.

China’s foreign-exchange reserves topped $2 trillion for the first time, the central bank said in today’s statement. The reserves rose a record $178 billion in the second quarter to $2.132 trillion. That compares with a $7.7 billion gain in the previous three months.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:58 pm

gold has just spiked in today's session....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 pm

kennynah wrote:gold has just spiked in today's session....

I believed you got long positions in GOLD right?? Congrats!!! HUAT AR!
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives