Bonds 01 (May 08 - Aug 10)

Re: Misc. Investment Articles

Postby kennynah » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:42 pm

am glad u discovered possible answer to your own question nothing beats the "OIC!" feeling
Last edited by kennynah on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: Bonds

Postby winston » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Dear All,

As there was quite a bit of discussions on bonds, I have split out those discussions and put it into this new thred.

So please do feel free to post any discussions and articles on Bonds into this thread.

Take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Misc. Investment Articles

Postby sidney » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 pm

kennynah wrote:this is called an inverted yield curve... it is a signal that a possible recession is coming on.

people want to be paid nearer than further out, bcos further out is cloudier comparatively given all the uncertainty..

whenever the nearer end bond yields higher than farther out bonds, the economy is almost certainly sliding into a drastic slowdown...

Dear all, do u have anymore insights on inverted yield curve? My lecturer also mentioned downward sloping yield curve is the beginning of recession. Moving forward, what's probability S'pore will kana recession due to the inverted yield curve as we observe now?
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 am

Sidney - Mohamed El -Erian touched on the inverted yield curve for US treasury extensively in his book "When Markets Collide". You may want to pick it up.

I don't pay attention to Singapore bond's market. It is US market's inverted yield curve that will affect the whole world.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby sidney » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:59 pm

Got it. Thanks MM
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:19 am

sydney, why dont u tell us what you know about inverted yield curve?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby la papillion » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:12 am

yea sidney, i also wish to know more :)
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby sidney » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:47 pm

kennynah wrote:sydney, why dont u tell us what you know about inverted yield curve?

Duh! My knowledge of koyok selling stops here. Hmm i'll go find out more and update all if i learnt anything abt inverted yield curve.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby Chiron » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Let me try with my paltry knowledge. Treasury (or bond), the longer the term, the yield is supposed to be on increasing trend as Treasury yield is supposed to take inflation into account. The 3 main periods are 2, 10 and 30 years. 2 year note follows more closely to FED fund rate while 10 follows the inflation outlook. There was a period think last year when 2 year note yield at abt 4.5% (close to FED fund rate) while 10 year note was below 4.5%. It means that the treasury (or bons) market expect inflation to drop in the longer span. Now inflation drops typically means recession ahead as only a recession will result in a deflation typically. Hence the yield curve is inverted, which means possible recession, even though last year the mkt was running in a bull rampage.

2 year yield can also tell us the possible FED fund rate. Currently at 1.6%, fund rate at 2%, means they expect FED to cut rate. So fund rate and 2 year yield follow each other, either as leading or lagging indicator, depends on how one look at it.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Chiron
Coolie

Postby sidney » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:27 am

Hi Chiron, thank you for the explaination
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Archives