Averaging Up on Wining Positions

Re: Averaging UP on wining positions

Postby blid2def » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm

LenaHuat wrote:Gonna re-activate this thread.

Looks like one can have many options :

(1) 50% first; if good, show hand - topping up :?:
(2) linearly averaging up : 25%;25%,25%,25% - boxing up :?:
(3) descending proportion : 50%; 30%; 20% - pyramiding up
(4) 20%; 20%;20% and the remaining 40% - :?: :?:

I'm still sorting this idea out. Can't seem to hve a handle on this. Usually juz use gut feeling.

I was only joking with that one! :D :D :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby HengHeng » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:42 am

Julian robertson if i'm not wrong when he was his assistant.
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 pm

I re-read MM's posts in this thread and think I will stick to the simple 'boxing up' algorithm.
Maybe it's time to think abt 'how to let our winners run' and 'how long'. Gonna go and read my investment, O'neill's books :lol:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am

Bump up this thread :) It's time to let winners run. I won't worry abt "how long" at this point in time. :lol:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 am

Having a Trailing Stop Loss on winning positions may help to preserve profits while participating in any rally.

The question then becomes how big is the Trailing Stop Loss ? 3%, 7% or 15, 20% ? :?
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 am

Hi Winston
I'm not putting in "stops" at this juncture. I think this rally has got legs, not those of the daddy long-legged spider. In other words, it's not a sucker's rally, it's not a bear rally. :lol:
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 am

LenaHuat wrote: In other words, it's not a sucker's rally, it's not a bear rally. :lol:

Mark Mobius also said the same thing yesterday :D :? Please see the "Mark Mobius" thread..
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Averaging Up on Wining Positions

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Bump this thread up so that forumers can sharpen their saws. But IMHO, it's too early to bottom fish.
The greatest fear is yet to be.
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby Blackjack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Agreed..The correction these few days seems heavy. I wonder where it will take us and a suitable entry.

That said I still find it easier to average down than average up. Averaging up seems to suggest to me that we are letting traded prices dictate the value of an investment, instead of increasing our factor of safety as we average down. Of course the argument that market knows best the value of any investment always cannot be refuted though hazy it may be...
Blackjack
Foreman

Postby LenaHuat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm

The correction these few days seems heavy.

S..E..E..M..s heavy :lol: But it hasn't reached its full weight until I see some light. It's pointless buying anything unless there are specks of light in the tunnel ;)
LenaHuat
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives