US - 2009 Predictions

Re: US 2009 Predictions

Postby LenaHuat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I read this article via a CNN link at Larry King Live's Blog :-
70 Percent of Young Americans are unfit for military duty

Either they are too obese, fail entrance exams or have run-ins with the law :evil:
The babyboomers are retiring or slowing down and these young Americans aren't up to the scratch to inherit a great nation :evil:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby OE2008 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Robert Prechter on CNBC.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1319011626&play=1

He is super bullish on US Dollar. He was early in his August 09 call.
OE2008
Loafer

Postby LenaHuat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Neither Kinokuniya nor Borders has flown his book "Conquer the Crash" into Singapore.

Does any1 think the big US banks will be re-sized or dismantled forcibly?
Seems like Congress is pretty serious abt this. I support this. They have tentacles in so many countries.
So many derivative contracts are inter-linked, strung around the globe and are embedded in many large instituitional portfolios.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:21 pm

LenaHuat wrote:Neither Kinokuniya nor Borders has flown his book "Conquer the Crash" into Singapore.

Does any1 think the big US banks will be re-sized or dismantled forcibly?
Seems like Congress is pretty serious abt this. I support this. They have tentacles in so many countries.
So many derivative contracts are inter-linked, strung around the globe and are embedded in many large instituitional portfolios.

Perhaps Citi group and AIG.. I can't see how the others will be dismantled since they are no longer in the clutches of the US gahmen.

Blankfein will fight tooth and nail to avoid breaking up.. cos' Goldman is nothing but a giant hedge fund with superb computing prowess.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi MM
Yes, I agree with you on Citigroup and AIG. I never thought Citigroup has any 'value-added' in a very crowded banking community. It was just a cluster of disparate parts and no top gun in the org really had a good idea what it is all about less manage it. It just waddled along with the crowd. I always thought it should be left to fail.

As to AIG, well, it should be nationalized in every sense of the word. Not just equity injection.

Goldman Sachs, yes, is in a very special class of its own. It's a strategic US asset. Remember I once wrote in the GS thread that I thought this is so and you commented something along this line - "Don't know whether GS will be ard" :lol: :lol:
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:36 pm

Lena,

US is dragging on its feet on banking reforms. I think its got alot to do with the powerful lobbying done by the financial industry on the banking/finance oversight committee.

The Economist carried a good article on the work that has already begun in the UK/Europe to split the TOO BIG TO FAIL BANKS. Amazing that the Yankees got outflanked this time around. :lol: :lol:

Europe's troubled banks
The muscles from Brussels

Nov 5th 2009
From The Economist print edition
Decisive action on zombie banks from…the European Commission
http://www.economist.com/businessfinanc ... d=14807083

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 am

this is all too difficult for me to comprehend.... my 8086 computing brain can only absorb and understand thus much....

let them all fail and a new world order will arise....surely...no doubt...

i was just telling a friend that a company's stock price says it all....C, up until today, have not achieved a fraction of its pre-crisis value when compared to GS, JPM, or even BAC.... it tells a story...a bad one at that.... maybe, in the years ahead, if it doesnt collapse by then, it could regain its glorious global presence... but until then, it remains as a weak counter, by the sheer value market participants give it now...

GS... well...i dont know them personally, but they sure look formidable today... having braved this crisis almost unscathed...it appears poised to be a banking entity to be reckoned with...no matter how much vomit we may all throw at it.... the rich doesn't really give a damn...

banking reforms is a necessary step...but i repeat what L said... US can truly recover from this overleveraging, by earning its way out...through producing top class products and services...that the world desires... this is the only way out... not thru their unseizing printing of money ....this may be a stop gap measure, but it isn't a long term solution...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:18 am

Hi K
Wow, your avatar is so ethereal :!:
I'm in total agreement with what you have written. It's a neat piece of thought.
GS walks along the corridors of much power and many powers, internationally. It is a US strategic asset, critical for US interests. I do have a very healthy respect for GS.

Yes, the US must work and produce its way out of this mess. But I think the US has been structurally altered permanently in some ways, albeit like what those auditors of published accounts say, "permanent diminution". Firstly, labor. There will be higher structural permanet unemployment in some communities, especially the African-American ones in the dust and Bible belts. Secondly, small businesses have been severely affected and many will not come back. New ones will not sprout because the future is not with them.
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:39 pm

For some 3 months, I have been posting articles about my concern about the competitiveness of the US and its ability to innovate and manufacture new products. I don't share Warren Buffet's and Bill Gates' unadulterated optimism about the US. It's going to be a long and difficult climb to recover ground.
Here's one more article from Newsweek about the "Decline of Western Innovation - Why America is falling behind and how to fix it".
http://www.newsweek.com/id/222979
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 pm

2nd post 2day in this thread.
Do you believe this CBC report : "1 in 7 American went hungry in 2008?"
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/16/national/main5673056.shtml?tag=stack
LenaHuat
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives