Singapore - Market Direction 01 (May 08 - Jul 08)

Re: STI - Market Direction & Strategy

Postby learn2win » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Provided by one of my friend. SIMSCI has clearly broken down today.

All the longists please be careful.

Guard Thy Treasure from Losses - The Fourth Cure for a Lean Purse - George Clason
learn2win
Coolie

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 pm

nice chart....very clear message...thanks.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 pm

thanks to GR, now at a glance, i can see STI and asian bourses indexes at the top of this forum...

wah....indexes look pretty bad man... lao sai-ing...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:48 pm

Noticed that this time round, investors are slowly realising that the market downturn / bear market is here for real and is very serious. Investors are not rushing in for a quick rebound compared to Jan or March and staying in the sidelines <like you and me :D >

i think the show is only beginning. like what MM said, dun fight the trend or try to master the skill of bottom-timing. the market is always there. :roll:

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby helios » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:59 pm

yes yes Aspellian, u summed up everything. amazing.

- r we learning how to appreciate bear market now?
- observing how it can drastically change e intricate balance bet. return & risk?
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby Musicwhiz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Aspellian wrote:Noticed that this time round, investors are slowly realising that the market downturn / bear market is here for real and is very serious. Investors are not rushing in for a quick rebound compared to Jan or March and staying in the sidelines <like you and me :D >

i think the show is only beginning. like what MM said, dun fight the trend or try to master the skill of bottom-timing. the market is always there. :roll:

Hi Aspellian,

This is a good learning experience for all of us. I am also curious to know how manic-depressive Mr. Market can get. :lol:
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Musicwhiz wrote:Hi Aspellian,

This is a good learning experience for all of us. I am also curious to know how manic-depressive Mr. Market can get. :lol:

Agree that this experience is extremely valuable and useful. I was watching CNBC on the interview with John Bogle (founder of Vanguard fund) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bogle]. This is his 10th BEAR market - <you didnt read wrongly - this chap is close to 80 years old :o >. He believe that this is a recession and things will never be the same once this crisis is over. Treat the Ups and Downs of market as random walks. Emotions are what make investing and Mr Market so interesting. Master your emotions and you master your investments (hopefully with a positive correlations!!!)

San San wrote:yes yes Aspellian, u summed up everything. amazing.

- r we learning how to appreciate bear market now?
- observing how it can drastically change e intricate balance bet. return & risk?

very soon we will see business magazines with all the potraits of Mr Bear snarling with its fierce look (not the adorable kungfu panda of China olympics)... when all media is saying how this downturn is the worst worst and worst ever, and economy will never, ever ever recover, probably its time to access the long-forgotten online brokerage account / pick up the dusty phone and call your broker.

another cue - when friends/affliates who VOW to hold out this market and start selling cos they cannot stomach the paper loss or wish to recover whatever is left of their capital, that could be another sign. <i have a number of friends who believe they can hold it out and this is only temporary; fyi - these are also the same pple who "earned" easy $$ during the bull run with the "midas" touch> [too bad i wasnt one of those smart ones with the midas touch - i paid back a fair bit of my gains and just manage to salvage my capital :cry: ]

I am sure there are also many of you out there who are earning big bucks timing the market thru option trading (since spore cannot short-sell).

Good luck to all. We are in this rough ride and learning process together!!
To the wonderful spirit of this forum - HUAT HUAT!!! :D

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby Kelvin_VP » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:14 pm

if cannot short sell, how to make $$ in a down market ???

and yes Aspellian, what u mention is correct, i have begun to feel ppl are behaving like what you mention.

anyway, i beginning to trim and hold onto cash instead. Market will always be there ! :lol:

But on a side note, i recall the STI coming down this bad before, so it might not be the end of the world !
Kelvin_VP
Loafer

Postby HengHeng » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:38 pm

i like to listen to news of people trimming thats when real bargains starts to appear. The worse the news the happier i'm
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 pm

HengHeng wrote:i like to listen to news of people trimming thats when real bargains starts to appear. The worse the news the happier i'm

HH,

do let us know when your happiness is at a peak level!! :) we will like to share in your joy and happiness!! ;) :lol:

Huat Ah!

Aspellian
Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives