Australia 01 (May 08 - Jan 11)

Re: Australia

Postby winston » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Hmmm.... another takeaway for me:

"Make sure that your back is not exposed while you charge forward " ....

New Australia PM says Rudd ouster 'right thing to do'

Australia's new leader Julia Gillard defended her ruthless disposal of predecessor Kevin Rudd Friday as she used her first day in office to target the policy blunders which triggered the shock takeover.

The country's first woman prime minister said deposing Rudd was "the right thing to do" and immediately set about ending a damaging row over a mining tax which fatally drained the ex-leader's support as national polls loom.

Gillard was elected unopposed Thursday in a party vote announced only hours earlier as a tearful Rudd, facing a humiliating defeat, stepped aside, just two-and-a-half years after sweeping to a landslide election win.

"They were not easy decisions. I have taken them because I thought they were the right thing to do," Gillard told reporters. "I felt it was in the best interests of the nation to get the government back on track."

The flame-haired, Welsh-born lawyer promised greater teamwork than Rudd, whose controlling tendencies alienated him in the party and finally cost him the job as his enduring public support came down from record highs.

But she denied being a puppet of Labor's factional powerbrokers who are widely credited with orchestrating the first unseating of an Australian prime minister since Paul Keating deposed Bob Hawke in 1991.

"I can understand that the opposition and others will try and put a character on the events of recent days," Gillard said.

"But... it is completely absurd for anybody to look at my track record in this place and to conclude anything other than that I have made my own decisions. I am a person of strong mind and I made my own decisions."

Gillard said it was her "priority" to deal with the planned 40 percent mining tax, which has incensed the influential resources industry and further sapped Rudd's support after he shelved his flagship carbon-trading scheme.

She said she had already discussed the tax with key ministers and hailed early progress after both the government and the miners called a truce and agreed to cancel their TV campaigns respectively for and against the levy.

"My priority is to ensure that we deal with the question of the mining tax," she said. "It has caused uncertainty and I think that uncertainty has caused anxiety for Australians.

"I want to make sure Australians get a fair share of our mineral wealth but I want to genuinely negotiate."

She said she had spoken to US President Barack Obama and assured him of Australia's commitment to keep troops in Afghanistan, and would also "introduce herself" to other world leaders including British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Her appointment has met with a quiet international response with Obama, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key among the few to offer congratulations.

"The United States and Australia enjoy a special and productive relationship and alliance that will continue to prosper under her leadership," Obama said in a statement.

Meanwhile media picked over Gillard's rise and the spectacular fall from grace of Rudd, a once-adored prime minister known for ousting conservative leader John Howard and making a historic apology to Australia's Aborigines.

"What a day," said the Sydney Morning Herald's front page, while a comment piece's headline cautioned, "If in doubt throw another leader on the barbie."

"I think she needs to be careful," former Labor leader Mark Latham told Sky News. "The moment Gillard's popularity drops, as inevitably it will -- the honeymoon will end -- I suppose she'll be the next one for the knife."

Source: AFP Global Edition
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby greenhoney » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am

like quentin says it. revenge (mining co) is a dish best served cold.
greenhoney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:51 pm

this is julia gillard

Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Poles » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:27 pm

i think OZ property prices should be heading south soon.....
alot of blokes cannot afford current asian prices.......

Home ›

Asia Pacific News

New Australian PM rejects population growth plan
Posted: 27 June 2010 2036 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard

SYDNEY : New Prime Minister Julia Gillard signalled a change in the government's approach to population growth on Sunday, saying she did not believe in a "big Australia".

Gillard, a former lawyer who wrested leadership of the Labor Party and the government from Kevin Rudd on Thursday, said population policy needed to strike the right balance between growth and sustainability.

"I don't believe in a big Australia," Welsh-born Gillard said.

"Kevin Rudd indicated that he had a view about a big Australia, I'm indicating a different approach. I think we want an Australia that is sustainable," she told the Nine Network.

With 22 million residents, Rudd had expressed optimism about a "big Australia" with a population of more than 36 million people by 2050, achieved through rising birth rates and immigration.

But Gillard said such population growth could be problematic given Australia's water shortages, the difficulty in providing services across the vast landscape and transport infrastructure.

"I don't believe in simply hurtling down a track to a 36 million or 40 million population, and I think if you talk to the people of western Sydney or western Melbourne, or the Gold Coast growth corridor in Queensland, people would look at you and say, 'Where will all these people go?'," she said.

"I think we want an Australia that is sustainable. This place is our sanctuary, our home."

Gillard, who came to Australia with her parents as a four-year-old, said immigration for skilled labour was still needed, adding that Canberra would continue to accept refugees.

"I don't want business to be held back because they couldn't find the right workers," she said.

"That's why skilled migration is so important. But also I don't want areas of Australia with 25 percent youth unemployment because there are no jobs."

Immigration is a sensitive issue in Australia, where boatloads of asylum seekers arrive most weeks after perilous voyages from Asia, often in rickety fishing vessels, as they escape countries such as Afghanistan and Sri Lanka. Under Rudd, Australia suspended claims for asylum from Sri Lankans for three months and Afghans for six as a way of tackling the problem.

But concerns about the steady stream of boatpeople, along with the shelving of a carbon emissions trading scheme designed to tackle climate change and a new tax on mining profits are believed to have been behind the poor polling which led Gillard to contest Rudd's leadership of the party.

The conservative opposition accused Gillard of not having the policies needed for a sustainable population, but those who believe Australia lacks the resources to support a larger population said the new approach was necessary.

"It shows the Prime Minister is on the wavelength of ordinary Australians," Labor politician Kelvin Thomson said.

"Australians have expressed their concern about the impact of rising population on food and water supplies, on rising housing affordability, on traffic congestion, on the quality of life in our cities, on carbon emissions and on our endangered wildlife."

The Australian Conservation Foundation said the nation's rate of population growth was already among the highest in the industrialised world.

"Bigger isn't always better," said the ACF's Chuck Berger.

"More people means more roads, more urban sprawl, more dams, more power lines, more energy and water use, more pollution in our air and natural environment, and more pressure on our animals, plants, rivers, reefs and bush."

- AFP/ir
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 pm

all i know is when i hear an aussie slang on tv...i switch channels... just my personal dislike for the twang....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:53 am

Hmm... we should ask the octopus about market Direction too :D

==========================

'Psychic' octopus picks Gillard as election winner

An Australian newspaper has taken a leaf out of the football World Cup play book, unveiling its own "psychic" octopus that it says has predicted Prime Minister Julia Gillard will win next month's poll.

The Sydney Morning Herald unveiled "Cassandra" just as Gillard stood poised Saturday to call an election for late August.

The paper hopes Cassandra will rival the predictive powers of "Paul", a German octopus that called a string of results including the World Cup winner.

"Cassandra's preference for Julia Gillard was clear," the newspaper said. "Despite being a solitary animal, she wrapped her long arms around the Prime Minister," it said next to a photo of the octopus wound around a picture of Gillard.

But the octopus's reaction to conservative opposition leader Tony Abbott's photo was less enthusiastic -- she turned a "defensive black colour", the paper said.

Marine science expert Professor Rob Harcourt however warned that as octopuses have "episodic personalities", Cassandra could change her eight-tentacled vote at any time.

"On any given day, an octopus may be bold in all situations and then shy and timid the next day," he told the paper.

Source: AFP Global Edition
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 am

Give Julia a bag and she looks like a young Margaret Thatcher, who would 'bagged' her opponents both inside and outside her Conservative Party :lol:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Australia’s Hung Election to Deepen Market ‘Jitters’ (Update1)
Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A
By Jacob Greber

Aug. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Australia’s dollar may fall and equities investors may look to other markets after the nation’s federal election failed to deliver a majority government for the first time in 70 years, according to market analysts.
http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid ... bFy8&pos=2

Another hung parliament. I wonder if we will ever see this in Singapore??? 8-)
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Another hung parliament. I wonder if we will ever see this in Singapore??? 8-)

baby steps.... add more non papaya party MPs into parliament as first steps....then, we can look forward to a "hung parliament" later..

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Two independent Australian lawmakers side with PM Julia Gillard to return the
Labor Party to power.

Source; CNN International
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives