Netflix Inc. (NFLX)

Netflix Inc. (NFLX)

Postby iam802 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Wii becomes third console to stream Netflix

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/1700a ... o_wii.html

NEW YORK -- It's a triple crown for Netflix. Beginning in the spring, the Wii will become the last of the three current video game consoles to get instant viewing of Netflix movies and TV shows over the Internet.

Wii owners who have a broadband connection and a Netflix subscription that costs at least $9 a month will be able to watch those programs with no extra charge.

Nintendo Co. and Netflix Inc., which wouldn't give an exact launch date for the service, were set to announce the deal on Wednesday.

To watch flicks through the gaming system, Wii users will need a special "instant-streaming" disc that Netflix will mail out in the spring. They will then be able to use the Wii's motion controller to navigate through their Netflix account and pick what they want to watch. This setup is similar to the way Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 currently streams Netflix programs.

Owners of Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 can also stream Netflix, but the service is only available to Xbox Live "Gold" members, who pay $50 a year mainly to play games online.

The Wii is a great catch for Netflix because it gives it access to the living rooms of millions of potential new subscribers. It is easily the most popular gaming console in the U.S. with 26 million sold in the country through December, according to Nintendo.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has long said his company's goal is to offer movie streaming on as many devices as possible, including all three gaming consoles. Letting subscribers watch movies over the Internet is an increasingly important service for Netflix, which is based in Los Gatos, Calif., even though the company says it expects to keep renting DVDs for another couple of decades.

Part of the reason for that is because it'll take some time for movies to become available for streaming. The company has about 17,000 movies and TV shows available for Internet watching, compared with more than 100,000 DVD titles it rents out.

In another sign of its commitment to streaming, Netflix said last week it will delay sending out Warner Bros.' latest movies by nearly a month so it can get rights to show its subscribers more movies over the Internet.

In addition to the three gaming systems, Netflix streaming is already available on devices such as the Roku digital video player, along with some Blu-ray players and Internet-connected TV sets. It's also available on computers.

But consoles represent an important entry point into millions of homes because so many people already own them. And offering service through the systems will likely also prompt existing Netflix subscribers who haven't tried streaming over the Internet to do so.

Hastings called the Nintendo deal a "big step forward" in advancing its streaming service.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, said the company's first priority is always gaming, but it also wants to "continue to surprise our customers" by offering other activities.

Notes:
- Others to monitor, DivX, AAPL, PALM, REAL, AMZN
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Re: Netflix Inc. (NFLX)

Postby iam802 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Netflix is a darling stock of IBD.

Just within a few short months, it rises from $60+ all the way to $120+ (in about 4 months).

With the entire market going bearish, let’s see if the shorts can break NFLX kumo support.

As of now, the Tenkan sen should be cutting the Kijun sen soon.

Kijun sen (trendline) is still pointing up; a suggestion of its strength for the past few months.

Looking at the leading kumo, all we need is to push NFLX to $102 and it willl be enough to cause it to snowball downwards.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 pm

they could well be our next generation's "cinema" experience....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm thinking...about AAPL.

AAPL can be a competitor. Looking at the way iTunes is the 'hub' for everything... it is not difficult to extend it to movies.

After all, Steve Jobs is on the board of Disney as well.

If AAPL choose not to acquire NFLX and muscle their way in with their own products and services, NFLX shares could fell like a rock (remember Creative, Nokia, RIMM)

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Netflix has been a good short since June.

It has been struggling to go up further since its dramatic rise from Feb.

By now, for those who have been following NFLX, a short should have been in place for the bears.

On the charts, Netflix is a great setup for a short.

1. Tenkan sen cuts Kijun sen for a bearish cross

2. A gap down after missing analysts estimates

3. Volume

At this time, I am not satisfied with the price level yet.

Strictly from the charts, NFLX is still holding above the kumo.

In other words, they may have missed estimates this quarter, but there is a chance that good execution will let them move higher up.

What is the major catalyst to push NFLX down further?

I think if AAPL muscles their way into this market, NFLX will face tremendous challenge.

The key difference between NFLX and AAPL is global reach.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Very little buying from CEO, CFO for the last few transactions.

http://www.gurufocus.com/news.php?id=100836

CEO of Netflix Inc. (NFLX) Reed Hastings sells 10,000 shares of NFLX on 07/22/2010 at an average price of $109.5 a share.

Netflix Inc. has a market cap of $5.41 billion; its shares were traded at around $103.56 with a P/E ratio of 46.9 and P/S ratio of 3.2. Netflix Inc. had an annual average earning growth of 106.7% over the past 5 years.

NFLX is in the portfolios of John Hussman of Hussman Economtrics Advisors, Inc., Jim Simons of Renaissance Technologies LLC, John Griffin of Blue Ridge Capital, Kenneth Fisher of Fisher Asset Management, LLC, Bruce Kovner of Caxton Associates, RS Investment Management, Jeremy Grantham of GMO LLC, Steven Cohen of SAC Capital Advisors.

CEO Recent Trades:

Sell: CEO Reed Hastings sold 10,000 shares of NFLX stock on 07/15/2010 at the average price of 121.67. Reed Hastings owns at least 1,382,299 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 14.88% since.

Sell: CEO Reed Hastings sold 10,000 shares of NFLX stock on 07/08/2010 at the average price of 119.55. Reed Hastings owns at least 1,387,799 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 13.38% since.

Sell: CEO Reed Hastings sold 10,000 shares of NFLX stock on 07/01/2010 at the average price of 108.8. Reed Hastings owns at least 1,403,299 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 4.82% since.

Sell: CEO Reed Hastings sold 10,000 shares of NFLX stock on 06/24/2010 at the average price of 116.88. Reed Hastings owns at least 1,408,799 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 11.4% since.

Sell: CEO Reed Hastings sold 10,000 shares of NFLX stock on 06/17/2010 at the average price of 125.55. Reed Hastings owns at least 1,414,299 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 17.51% since.

CFO Recent Trades:

Sell: CFO Barry Mccarthy sold 50,000 shares of NFLX stock on 04/01/2010 at the average price of 75. Barry Mccarthy owns at least 51,563 shares after this. The price of the stock has increased by 38.08% since.

Sell: CFO Barry Mccarthy sold 50,000 shares of NFLX stock on 03/30/2010 at the average price of 75.05. Barry Mccarthy owns at least 51,563 shares after this. The price of the stock has increased by 37.99% since.

Sell: CFO Barry Mccarthy sold 9,332 shares of NFLX stock on 02/18/2010 at the average price of 65. Barry Mccarthy owns at least 51,563 shares after this. The price of the stock has increased by 59.32% since.

Directors and Officers Recent Trades:

Sell: Chief Product Officer Neil D Hunt sold 12,000 shares of NFLX stock on 07/01/2010 at the average price of 108.8. Neil D Hunt owns at least 67,642 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 4.82% since.

Sell: Chief Service/DVD Ops Officer Andrew S Rendich sold 537 shares of NFLX stock on 06/14/2010 at the average price of 123.49. The price of the stock has decreased by 16.14% since.

Sell: Chief Product Officer Neil D Hunt sold 12,000 shares of NFLX stock on 06/01/2010 at the average price of 109.26. Neil D Hunt owns at least 67,642 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 5.22% since.

Sell: Chief Service/DVD Ops Officer Andrew S Rendich sold 769 shares of NFLX stock on 05/13/2010 at the average price of 114.47. The price of the stock has decreased by 9.53% since.

Sell: Chief Product Officer Neil D Hunt sold 12,000 shares of NFLX stock on 05/03/2010 at the average price of 99.96. Neil D Hunt owns at least 67,642 shares after this. The price of the stock has increased by 3.6% since

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:59 am

As I am typing this now, Netflix is now testing the lows at around 101.75 on the 5min chart.

A break below this level will definitely see NFLX breaking the kumo support on the Daily Chart.

Already at this level, it is below the support level identified by the Chikou Span at 102.70 on the Daily Chart.

Should it break the kumo, my target is around 93 to 94 as seen on the Weekly Chart.

Having said that, from the Weekly Chart, we can see that NFLX is still way above the uptrend. In my opinion, this is a very good case study of Netflix being the right industry and business. Generally, the younger generation will grow up with streaming services and digital download. And Netflix business model does reflects that.

The downside for Netflix is its ability to go beyond the shores of US. Are there growth outside of US?

Which markets will it be? Fragmentation of markets is its biggest challenge, followed by the ability to work with media companies on territorial rights for the content.

My bias is for Netflix to drift further down. Let’s see how far it will go.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 pm

I want my 100

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Technically, on the Ichimoku Daily Chart, NFLX has goes below the kumo support.

A definite short from 104 and below as it fails to hold.

However, we have to acknowledge that we are always incline to look at the round figures support as well; in this case support at 100.

And I expect a little counter-rally from 100 to 104.

But, I won’t consider a long for NFLX anymore unless there is a really good catalyst.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 am

Letter ‘h’ has formed on NFLX 5min chart.

Currently, it is sitting right on the support level identified by Chikou Span.

If the market remains weak for the day till closing, the chance of NFLX breaking 100 is high.

iam802
Big Boss

Next

Return to L to R