Freeport McMoRan (FCX)

Re: Freeport McMoRan (FCX)

Postby winston » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:28 am

With Freeport McMoRan down 42% year to date, is it a buy?

Terranova said he was encouraged by Freeport McMoRan(FCX_) CEO's comments that demand for copper remains tight and the copper market is easily manipulated.

Kelly said copper may drop to $2.60 before it rebounds.

Dan Dicker, senior contributor for TheStreet, said copper is disconnected from the stock market and is taking on the chin.

He said copper has usually been taken as a proxy for global growth, but he argued it's OK to have copper at $3 and still tell a good global story.

Jorge Beristain, an analyst with Deutsche Bank, said he would be a buyer at these levels.

He said the "simple math" is that Freeport is at now at half of its 52-week high, has a "bullet-proof" balance sheet and is likely to raise its dividend.

He said the company is operating at 97% of its capacity.

Source: thestreet.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 am

Turning Copper to Cash

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, trades for far less than the value of its mining assets.

The company could be a major beneficiary of the red metal's rebound -- or a takeover offer.

Source: Barron's
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:57 pm

It's Now Time to Buy Shares of this "Master of the Universe"
By Dr. Steve Sjuggerud

The last time this happened, shareholders saw a fivefold gain in 12 months.

It's happening again.

Here's the story…

Six weeks ago, I told readers of my True Wealth newsletter about Freeport-McMoRan, a copper and gold producer…

Freeport is what I call the "Master of the Universe" in copper.

For one, it controls the Grasberg mine in Indonesia. The Grasberg has the world's largest reserves of copper and gold. But that's not all.

The company is so large and powerful, it actually mines more copper per year in North America than it does at Grasberg… and it mines more copper in South America than it does in North America.

Freeport also has more cash than debt – so it's in great financial shape. But it was trading for an incredibly cheap six times earnings.

"The last time Freeport shares traded for six times earnings," I told my readers,
"the world looked like it was coming to an end in late 2008."

Why was it so cheap again?

Because the price of copper has been falling off a cliff, because the workers at Grasberg are on strike, because Europe and China are facing a credit crunch… the list goes on.

But these things don't change the outlook for the next two decades… The simple story is that demand for copper will outstrip supply. And Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) – the Master of the Universe in copper – is best-poised to profit from that.

Immediately after I published that, Freeport soared – nearly 20% in a week.

It felt like the move happened on cue… like we got our timing just right… like we were on our way to seeing another triple-digit profit.

But now, shares of Freeport have fallen to roughly where I originally wrote about them six weeks ago… Because the story is still the same, you can still take advantage of the opportunity.

Here's how I recommended trading the stock back then:

Freeport's lows for this year were around $30 – or around 15% below where we are as I write. If Freeport gets below that level, I got it wrong… I was too early on this trade. If that happens, that's fine…

I'm willing to risk 15% on the downside for the potential to make triple-digit profits in a year. That's the right kind of risk-versus-reward scenario to make real money in the markets.

The same advice applies today.

It's a classic True Wealth bet – limited downside and unlimited upside potential. The last time around, the stock soared 400%.

Check out shares of Freeport-McMoRan today… If you follow my guidelines of limiting your downside risk to about 15%, and having triple-digit upside, the odds are in your favor.

Source: Daily Wealth
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 am

i wonder who the major owners of FCX are?

it always puzzles me that a foreign entity can be allowed to control another country's natural resources....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 pm

ONE OF OUR FAVORITE "TROPHY" STOCKS IS SET TO BREAK OUT

One more potential "breakout" for the contrarian traders out there…

In yesterday's edition, we noted how beaten-down transportation stocks staged an important multi-month price breakout this week (along with small banks, defense, and homebuilder stocks).

We're attracted to this "beaten down, but showing a bit of price strength" setup because it gets us into cheap, out-of-favor assets. The preceding selloff "wrings out" most of the downside risk… and leaves us with lots of potential upside.

Another beaten-down sector showing signs of life is the "trophies" of the natural resource complex… companies like Freeport-McMoRan (FCX). We call Freeport a "trophy" because it's the world's largest public copper company. It controls the giant Grasberg mine, which is the world's largest gold mine and third-largest copper mine. It is one of the "jewels" of the resource industry.

Like most assets, Freeport was hammered during the second half of 2011. Shares fell from their summer high of $55 to a low of $30 (a 45% drop). But as you can see from the chart below, this "trophy" stock has bottomed… has strung together a bullish series of "higher highs and higher lows"… and has just cleared its December high. Should the global markets continue to get "less bad," it's a chip shot back to its summer level of $50.

www.dailywealth.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun May 10, 2015 7:31 am

not vested

7 Large-Cap Stocks to Sell Right Away: Freeport-McMoRan Inc (FCX)
Market Cap: $24.5 billion
Industry: Commodities

Freeport-McMoRan Inc (NYSE:FCX) is stretched across even more mineral assets than BHP — including gold, oil and natural gas.

Or put another way, it has broader exposure to even more depressed sectors than BHP.

At the end of 2010, FCX stock was almost three times more expensive than it is today. And there’s a very good chance this isn’t the bottom.

There’s talk that FCX is looking to spin off its $9 billion oil and natural gas business, but that still wouldn’t help its copper and precious metals’ portfolios.

Sure, it’s a bargain here — but there’s no guarantee that it won’t become more of a bargain as the year rolls on.

In fact, most signs are pointing toward another down year for this miner.

Source: InvestorPlace
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Copper producer Freeport-McMoRan is getting crushed… down nearly 50%-plus in two months.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Copper giant Freeport-McMoRan is down nearly 45%.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 pm

not vested

A HUGE 'BAD TO LESS BAD' RALLY

Today's chart highlights a major "bad to less bad" move happening right now in natural resources.

As Steve mentioned in today's DailyWealth, the biggest gains often come when assets go from "bad to less bad." And right now, Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) – one of the crown jewels of the resource industry – is showing just how powerful this trading strategy can be.

Freeport owns the famous Grasberg mine in Indonesia – the world's largest gold mine and third-largest copper mine. After sliding lower for most of the past year, FCX is showing signs of life.

From July 2014 to the end of last year, shares of FCX suffered along with most natural resource stocks, falling more than 80%... but as you can see from the chart below, the $9.7 billion company has reversed course in 2016.

Shares have nearly doubled over the past month... making it one of the best-performing stocks during that time frame. It's more confirmation that there are huge gains to be made as things get "less bad" in resource stocks...

Source: Daily Wealth
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 pm

A "bad to less bad" rally in copper… Freeport-McMoRan soars 200%-plus in four months.
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to E to K