UOB-Kay Hian

UOB-Kay Hian

Postby winston » Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am

From Kim Eng:-

UOB-Kay Hian recorded slimmer takings for the first quarter ended March 31, 2008, as it failed to repeat the stellar performance it put up during the industry boom last year.

Its total income slipped 22 per cent to $134.1 million, from $172.1 million last year. Its profit after tax attributable to equity-holders dropped 29.5 per cent to $43.2 million, from $61.2 million. Its earnings per share fell to 5.96 cents this year, from 8.44 cents last year.

UOB-Kay Hian explained its poorer showing by saying: '2007 was an exceptional year with record turnover for the stock broking industry and the group.

Market volume in Singapore and the region began to slow in (the) fourth quarter (of) 2007 and continued into (the) first quarter (of) 2008.' The brokerage said its revenues and net profit slipped 'in tandem with the general decline in trading volume and lower commission income'. 'The first quarter of 2008 was challenging for the financial markets.

Market and trading conditions were volatile during this period due mainly to concerns over the impact of the sub-prime mortgage on financial institutions, the effects of the credit crunch on consumer spending and longer-term economic growth prospects. Market turnover in Singapore was lower compared to the same period in 2007,' UOB-Kay Hian said.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: UOB-Kay Hian

Postby winston » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:09 pm

UOBKayHian's Q3 net profit falls 57% By ANGELA TAN

UOB Kay Hian Holdings Limited on Tuesday reported a 56.5 per cent year-on-year decline in net profit to S$91.98 million for the third quarter ended September 30, 2008 after weak market sentiment hit trading volumes and activity.

Revenue fell 47.8 per cent to S$303.14 million as commission income tumbled 53 per cent to S$233.78 million.

The group expects the equity market to remain cautious in the coming 12 months.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby shaun » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:51 am

anyone looking at this counter now?

market price 88c
bookvalue $1.30 (quality of asset is quite good)
highest EPS in recent times, 37c
lowest eps in the past 5 yrs, about 10c (excluding the pre-merger days in 2002)
Substantial player in SG, if not the largest.
significant revenue from HK also.
My worst case scenario is normalised earnings of 11c (very conservatively calculated) for the next 10 years. still a very comfortable greater than 10% yield, with 30% of bookvalue as margin of safety.

I bumped into this one while waiting for SGX to come down back to earth in terms of PE. While UOBKH doesn't quite have the same moot in comparison, it nonetheless is in a nice competitive position vis-sa-vis its competitors.

I would be happy to hear forummers' thoughts.
Regards
Shaun
shaun
Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Shaun,

UOBKH is the largest brokerage firm (in Singapore) with business units spanning across Asia. The easiest way to track their earnings is thro' the daily traded value (similar to SGX).

If you are buying for capital gains... you might want to consider SGX over UOBKH cos' SGX has more institutional support (during the bull market days) and certainly more liquid.

Incidentally, I switch over from UOBKH to Phillip about 15 months back cos' I was a little upset over the service of my remisier at UOBKH which costs me money. He said that he will look into compensation but 2 weeks later still no sound no image.

Also the commission structure over at UOBKH is very stiff... Phillips is much more flexible and I got my commission over at Phillip reduced steadily last year to a rate lower than what UOBKH was giving me even though I had been a customer of UOBKH for more than 6 years b4 I switched... :?

Phillip offers a wider array of trading platforms - Futures, CFD, warrants etc....

Just my small little 2cts.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby shaun » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:01 am

millionairemind wrote:Shaun,

UOBKH is the largest brokerage firm (in Singapore) with business units spanning across Asia. The easiest way to track their earnings is thro' the daily traded value (similar to SGX).

If you are buying for capital gains... you might want to consider SGX over UOBKH cos' SGX has more institutional support (during the bull market days) and certainly more liquid.

Incidentally, I switch over from UOBKH to Phillip about 15 months back cos' I was a little upset over the service of my remisier at UOBKH which costs me money. He said that he will look into compensation but 2 weeks later still no sound no image.

Also the commission structure over at UOBKH is very stiff... Phillips is much more flexible and I got my commission over at Phillip reduced steadily last year to a rate lower than what UOBKH was giving me even though I had been a customer of UOBKH for more than 6 years b4 I switched... :?

Phillip offers a wider array of trading platforms - Futures, CFD, warrants etc....

Just my small little 2cts.

Thanks, Millionairemind. Seems like Phillip has a stronger product. Based on my observation, the more investing savvy, more IT-comfortable crowd seem to prefer Phillip over UOBKH. However, somehow I can't reconcile why UOBKH continue to be going strong, results wise. Even in comparison with the other listed brokerage, Kim Eng, UOBKH has better revenue, margin and return on capital.

Regarding SGX, I definitely agree with you on it being a better option, but the only problem is valuation. Other than this one point, I will take it over uobkh anyday.
shaun
Loafer

Postby behappyalways » Tue May 16, 2017 2:46 pm

UOB Kay Hian posts 39.4% rise in 1Q earnings to $19.7 mil as Trump rally continues
http://www.theedgemarkets.com.sg/uob-ka ... -continues
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 am

uob-kay-hian-posts-32-growth-2q-earnings-165-mil
https://www.theedgesingapore.com/uob-ka ... gs-165-mil
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 pm

uob-kayhian-posts-24-rise-3q-earnings-182-mil-substantially-higher-trading-volumes
https://www.theedgesingapore.com/uob-ka ... ng-volumes
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm

UOB-Kay Hian posts 30.3% rise in 1Q earnings to $25.7 mil
https://www.theedgesingapore.com/uob-ka ... gs-257-mil
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 pm

UOB KayHian 4Q earnings down by nearly half as investor sentiment turns cautious
https://www.theedgesingapore.com/uob-ka ... s-cautious
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Next

Return to U to Z