Hongguo

Re: Hongguo

Postby la papillion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am

Hongguo released its 3Q08 results (http://info.sgx.com/webcoranncatth.nsf/ ... penelement) last Fri. It wasn't doing exceptionally well, but given the current state of matter, I think it's quite alright. Let's just do a quick one here.

Here's my thoughts on the statements:

1. Looking at the 3Q to 3Q results, revenue increased which is followed by an increase in both gross profit and net profit in absolute terms. However, gross and net margins fell slightly.

The increase in revenues comes from the increase in more stores (150 in total) selling both the main C.Banner brand and E.Blan. However, JUC outlets decreased by 10 in the 3Q. The Naturalizer brand also starting contributing a little to the revenue. Cost increases as there are more outlets opened, bringing down the net profits. It's good to know that the management decided to limit the expansion of more outlets in the midst of this financial crisis. It's a more prudent way of doing business.

2. A little worried about their net margins, which is declining for a few quarters. I believe their 2nd and 4th quarter is their better quarters in terms of revenue and profit. Take a look at their quarter to quarter figures.

One thing for sure is that their net margins are sliding down. SDA/revenue is getting higher too, which the management always attribute to the expansion in new outlets. So far, their expansion do not require taking any long term debts, which is safe in this kind of credit crisis. At least I know they are less likely to blow up!

3. Here's their current ratio, total debt/equity, ROE and EPS figures.

Current ratio is still alright, but there is an increase in the total debt/equity ratio. The increase in debt is due solely to an increase in short term liabilities. Two figures stand out strongly from the current liabilities section of the balance sheet : Short term loan of 40.9 mil RMB and increase in trade payables from 64 mil RMB to 104 mil RMB. Seems like they are squeezing their creditors more tightly by paying them slower. There are not increase in trade receivables though.

4. As for cash flow, there is a few things to take note of. There was around 20 mil RMB that others need to repay Hongguo. This is partly offset by the 30 mil RMB that Hongguo owed others. Overall, cash generation from operations is +ve, but after taking into account tax, it went to -ve but is generally in a better state than 3Q07. There is an increase in short term loans of 40.9 mil RMB which is mentioned earlier in the balance sheet - but there are no mention of what the loan is used for. It made up 16.7% of the total debt (they have no long term debts), so it's not a major problem. Cash flow should improve more as they plan to limit the expansion of their core retail outlets (I take it that they mean C.Banner and E.blan brands) to 150 by end of FY08. The management mentioned that they would be the productivity and the profitability of their outlets - which I think is a good move. Fight, consolidate THEN advance, that's the way of the infantry.

5. Breakdown of revenue:

C.Banner --- 56.4%
E.Blan ---- 9.6%
Contract manufacturing --- 26.2%
JUC --- 6.1%
Naturalizer footwear --- 1.7%

There is more closure of JUC to the tune of 10 more outlets. I think they are slowly divesting out from that. Another point to take note is the huge increase in the contract manufacturing segment. Compare this to 2Q revenue breakdown:

C.Banner --- 62.2%
E.Blan ---- 9.2%
Contract manufacturing --- 17.0%
JUC --- 6.9%
Naturalizer footwear --- 1.7%

Contract manufacturing is of lower margins than their in-house shoe brand, so I would expect the net margins to drop further. No more plans to expand their production capacity for their contract manufacturing. Management had stated that they wanted a revenue mix of OEM : Retail of 80:20, so that's what we should be looking at.

Value to price comparison:

Annualised EPS for FY08 is SGD $0.0606. On last count, the EPS I calculated was $0.06252. Last close is SGD $0.180 per share. This represents a PE ratio of 3x. To hell with historical PE, haha! The lowest PE was around 5x, but I think it broke all record now.

Applying Graham's strict (current assets - total liabilties)/shares outstanding, we get SGD $0.223 per share. Using NAV [(total assets - total liabilites)/shares], we get SGD 0.307 per share. Based on FY07 dividend, divided yield is around 7.8%.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby millionairemind » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:17 pm

La Pap,

Thanks for the analysis. DO you know the mkt share that HongGuo currently commands in the Chinese Mkt? Just curious of the pricing power that they still have. Many moons ago, when I owned HG, it was commanding a No. 3 position in China.

I know they face a very strong competitor Daphne and Belle.

How about their raw material cost?? Do you track them to see their impact on the bottom line?

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby la papillion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi mm,

The last I knew of their market share, it's still hovering around the 3rd position too. This kind of info can only be found in their quarterly presentation (I do not know any other source). In their 1Q08 presentation slides, they mentioned that they are currently holding 3rd position in 2007, with a market share of 5.44%, behind Daphne 8.01% and Belle 9.93%. I believe their pricing power is still there. Daphne and Belle are busy fighting another battle over the sports shoe segment (perhaps a losing battle because of the high competition in that segment - haven't been poring over their statements for some time)

As for raw material cost, it's hard to find the segmented cost as it is given as a lump sum placed under their inventories in the balance sheet, which can be found in their annual report. I've no idea if they bought more raw materials or the price of the raw material increased.

---------------------------2007------2006-------2005
Raw materials-------------23020------12204------11653
Inventories --------------241057-----202134-----143025
cost of sales-------------439230-----361650-----284241

Raw materials/inventories--9.55%------6.04%------8.15%
Raw materials to COGS-----5.24%------3.37%-----4.10%

This much I can find out. Not at all helpful, I think.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby winston » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:29 pm

UBS Selling. Stake now at 10.82%.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 am

REQUEST FOR TRADING HALT

Pending release of announcement(s).
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 am

HONGGUO INTERNATIONAL HOLDINGS LIMITED
(Company Registration No.: 32062)
(Incorporated in Bermuda)
VOLUNTARY CONDITIONAL CASH OFFER BY DBS BANK LTD. FOR AND ON BEHALF OF INFO GIANT INVESTMENTS LIMITED TO ACQUIRE ALL THE ISSUED AND PAID-UP ORDINARY SHARES IN THE CAPITAL OF HONGGUO INTERNATIONAL HOLDINGS LIMITED.

The consideration for the Offer is in the form of cash and is S$0.439 per Offer Share.
http://info.sgx.com/webcoranncatth.nsf/ ... penelement
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:12 am

Up 34% now ! Not vested :(
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby la papillion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:22 am

The cash offer is a few % higher than the NAV value, which goes to show that if one had bought hongguo below the NAV value, it would have been a winning investment.

For me, I bought 3 batches. 2 batches is above NAV value, 1 is below NAV value. Overall? A slight loss of a few hundred dollars only.

Lesson learnt?
1. I pity those who bought above $1. This stock is not liquid at all and even with this cash offer, they would lose a lot. Take heed on the NAV value of the stock, it really does offer a margin of safety if you buy below it.

2. Don't be too eager to get into a stock after you've done the FA. All the FA in the world is useless if you do not exercise discipline.

3. I bought it with the notion that it will give dividends. In fact, it had always given dividends UNTIL the year I bought. Haha, so much for years of past dividends records.

4. Valuation for good times and bad times are really very very different. But guess what, in ALL times, it's impt to maintain a low debts and high cash position. THAT can really save you from all the other nonsense companies.

5. PE ratio? Haha, I bought at historical low PE ratio. Then? It went down further. Again, past records of PE does not mean much.
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby la papillion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:25 am

I think I forgot to mention my feelings.

I'm actually happy :) Why? losing a few hundreds and freeing up a few thousands of capital. I think it's not that bad. At least now, the capital can be used to invest in more worthwhile places and won't be stuck anymore.

I actually expected worse, haha
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby Musicwhiz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:54 am

la papillion wrote:The cash offer is a few % higher than the NAV value, which goes to show that if one had bought hongguo below the NAV value, it would have been a winning investment.

For me, I bought 3 batches. 2 batches is above NAV value, 1 is below NAV value. Overall? A slight loss of a few hundred dollars only.

Lesson learnt?
1. I pity those who bought above $1. This stock is not liquid at all and even with this cash offer, they would lose a lot. Take heed on the NAV value of the stock, it really does offer a margin of safety if you buy below it.

2. Don't be too eager to get into a stock after you've done the FA. All the FA in the world is useless if you do not exercise discipline.

3. I bought it with the notion that it will give dividends. In fact, it had always given dividends UNTIL the year I bought. Haha, so much for years of past dividends records.

4. Valuation for good times and bad times are really very very different. But guess what, in ALL times, it's impt to maintain a low debts and high cash position. THAT can really save you from all the other nonsense companies.

5. PE ratio? Haha, I bought at historical low PE ratio. Then? It went down further. Again, past records of PE does not mean much.

Thanks LP, good lessons indeed! I think what I get from this is that history is no indication of the future of the company.

Even when I analyze companies like MTQ and GRP, I keep that in mind. A lot of the past dividend history may not be relevant, but then again I ensure I hedge my risks and that as far as possible, such aspects can continue due to the nature of the business.

For Hongguo, I believe their business is low barriers to entry, and subject to price wars as well?
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

PreviousNext

Return to H to K