Creative Technology

Re: Creative Technology

Postby millionairemind » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 pm

For the no. of years it has been in a loss, I am surprised it is still holding above $4..

January 22, 2009, 12.29 pm (Singapore time)

Creative stays in red for Q209, posts biggest loss in 11 quarters

By ANGELA TAN

SINGAPORE - Creative Technology Ltd, posted its biggest loss in 11 quarters as second-quarter sales plunged amid the global recession.

The net loss was US$32.4 million, or 44 US cents per share, in the three months ended Dec 31, compared with net income of US$7.6 million, or 9 US cents, a year earlier.

Sales tumbled 41 per cent to US$155.7 million.

Creative, which also makes accessories for the iPod, slashed its inventory to US$57.3 million, 45 per cent lower than the previous three months.

Craig McHugh, president and COO of Creative. said: 'Looking forward, we expect that the difficult market environment will continue to deterioriate. We are evaluating the structure of our field organisations so we can significantly reduce our operating expenses.'
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 am

this company....i will never buy into....imo, and it is no rumour mongering nor factual....

it is fading into oblivion...just look at the products they offer in the market... rubbish.... cannot compete, expensive... almost brandless now....

it seems to me...the CEO and owner...is not interested any more...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby financecaptain » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 am

kennynah wrote:this company....i will never buy into....imo, and it is no rumour mongering nor factual....

it is fading into oblivion...just look at the products they offer in the market... rubbish.... cannot compete, expensive... almost brandless now....

it seems to me...the CEO and owner...is not interested any more...

Company is suffering because it has no core business at the monent.
Looking at history, after sound card, Company has no winner product.
Company tried to venture into many new product lines in the past but failed miserably. Confidence is probably highly shattered. Althiough it probably has cash now to acquire new businesses.
Creative's weakness seems to be in execution. Its CD Rom venture was marred by inventory issue. Its dot com ventures during the boom also ended in misery. Finally, the Zen venture was a great idea but failed misery in execution.
Maybe biggest weakness of Company is it is too top down. Relying too much upon its few senior executives to run the whole company.
As the Company name suggest, it seeks to be "creative". It is not a manufacturing company seeking great efffciency like the army. If you want to be a creative company like Nike, Google etc.. then your creative juices should flow throughout the organisation. Not just top down .. to expect a water fall. It is just not going to happen.
financecaptain
Foreman

Postby iam802 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 am

Creative has not been able to shed its 'manufacturer' mindset.

I am just speaking based on what I feel and do not have facts to substantiate.

They have a stronghold on soundcards and is at one time holds the largest market share for MP3 players.

The missing link is their ability to tie all these together. They are still trying to sell more gadgets (a manufacturer mindset) but is missing the greater picture of addressing how consumers are taking on the digital content.

And, unfortunately, this is where they lose the edge.

It does not take a lot for one to take note that Apple is moving towards increasing their revenues from transactions. (purchase of services, digital content etc).

Creative needs not be Apple. But, the question will remain. What does Creative stands for?

Perhaps, govt. expectations of keeping jobs is tying them down? Restructuring is a painful process and more so, for a company that requires brain power.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby financecaptain » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:02 am

iam802 wrote:Perhaps, govt. expectations of keeping jobs is tying them down? Restructuring is a painful process and more so, for a company that requires brain power.

I understand that Creative has been shedding jobs. Mybe quietly.
You are right that they are still in a "manufacturing company" mindset. Very top down and product centric.
financecaptain
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Creative Technology
Jan 28 close: $4.13
DBS Vickers, Jan 23

DETERIORATING consumer demand eats into earnings: Sales from all major product categories declined in the quarter - MP3 related business declined 43 per cent, audio/SoundBlaster segment declined 41 per cent and speaker sales were down 48 per cent. With 45 per cent q-o-q reduction in inventory position, gross margins sank about 8 percentage points q-o-q to 15.5 per cent.

No exciting product launches; outlook grim: As highlighted in our last report, the demand outlook for consumer electronics remains challenging and is compounded by the fact that Creative continues to lose market share in established market segments like MP3 players. Though Creative recently announced the launch of the Zii Platform using StemCell Computing, benefits are unlikely to flow in the near term.

Wider loss expectations, downgrade to 'sell': We widen our FY09 net loss projection to US$106 million from US$46 million previously and also project larger losses of US$84 million in FY10. Stock price has held up well since our last sector report where we highlighted Creative as a privatisation candidate (trading below cash) and hence, we downgrade the counter to 'sell' now as we expect net cash per share at end-FY10 to fall to around $2.50.
SELL
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am

Is the global economic downturn really the cause ? If you ask me, it's poor marketing. How come I-Pod is doing so well compare to the Zen ?

=========================================================================

CREATIVE TECHNOLOGY LTD. - Creative Technology reported on Tuesday a net loss of $41.8 million for its third quarter ended March 31, compared to a $3 million profit made last year, citing the effect of the global economic downturn on demand for its products.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Poles » Wed May 06, 2009 11:02 am

ask any kid, who is more cool?? steve or sim?
Poles
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby iam802 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:01 am

Creative Zii EGG

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... 11&id=2971

===
My thoughts:

1. It looks to me, the key thing that Creative is trying to license here is the chip and some other parts. To be the middle-man to other manufacturers, maybe? Eg. I supply you with everything you need to build a fantastic 'next generation' product. Or a case of they want to focus more on the manufacturing portion, rather than at the retail level.

3. But, surely there will be other suppliers for such chips. Eg. TI, Qualcomm, and a whole slew of others that is focused within this sector. So, the remaining differentiating layer will be the 'OS' or whatever software layer that they are building and providing.

4. This new product, also runs on Google's Android. A departure from the usual MSFT platform and also some kind of customized Linux kernel.

5. Perhaps, Creative has wised up and know that it is better to chart their own destiny rather than to rely on MSFT.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 am

i think he should sell his business away....take the 100s of million and go fishing....

the man macam lost his passion liao.... drifting along... as if he just wants an office to keep himself occupied...keep his sanity... national day speeches no longer speak about him...the fallen star...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

PreviousNext

Return to C to D