Albert Edwards

Albert Edwards

Postby winston » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 am

Albert Edwards and the killer wave by Neil Hume

Not sure what to make of this.

Ãœber bear Albert Edwards has abandoned his empirical approach, for (shock horror) the mystical world of technical analysis.

Behold the killer wave.

And Edwards says it a reason to be afraid, very afraid.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2011/09 ... ller-wave/
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Albert Edwards

Postby winston » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 am

Albert Edwards: "The Eurozone Crisis Will Get Much, Much Worse" And "The ECB Will Print" by Tyler Durden

Anyone expecting that the events over the last 24 hours will have changed the persistently negative outlook of one of the original skeptics, will be disappointed.

The SocGen strategist falls back to that old time-tested principle in complicated situations: math and logic.

His summary of events released this morning: "The increasingly frenzied attempts of eurozone governments to persuade financial markets that they can draw a line under this crisis will ultimately fail – even if this week’s measures bring some short-term relief.

I have minimal confidence that governments can turn this around within the confines of the eurozone project. You might be surprised though that I feel more bullish! Why?

Both Dylan and I have come to the view that the ECB will be forced, by events, to monetise debt in the GIIPS and beyond.

And if investors believe the governments in Spain and Italy are bust, then Germany, France, and not forgetting the UK and US, are far, far worse."

To be sure, we may see a brief respite as we get the traditional post-TARP knee jerk reaction, only for markets to digest the sad reality of the situation in the proceeding 48 hours. And what will that imply?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/albert-ed ... will-print
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 pm

How much did Mr. Uber Bear lost in the last 5 months ?

“The biggest bubble in recent history is heading for the mother of all hard landings,” says Albert Edwards
By Prieur du Plessis

“We are in a profits recession, both at the developed and emerging level. My Quant colleague, Andrew Lapthorne, pointed out to me that forward earnings growth for both MSCI developed and emerging are now falling.

For we are at that point in the cycle where the easy productivity gains are over.

In the US, for example, we can see unit labour costs running well ahead of output price inflation, leading to a downturn in the margin cycle.

The equity markets seem able to ignore this inconvenient truth for the moment, while they think the US economy might be reviving and China’s policy makers are successfully engineering a soft landing.

But any evidence to the contrary at a time when profits are already under downward pressure, will likely be met by an unforgiving response.”

Edwards concludes by saying that with global stock market profits in a recession, it “explains why US bond yields might dive much lower”.

He therefore remains overweight long government bonds and remarked: “Government bonds will become even more expensive on a 6-12 month view with an evaporation of confidence in the sustainability of the US recovery and/or a China hard landing (the former could occur with or without the latter).”

Source: Albert Edwards, Société Générale Cross Asset Research, May 3, 2012.

http://www.investmentpostcards.com/2012 ... oo%21+Mail
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby iam802 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 pm

ehh..he Economist, right?

I think he didn't lose any money. :lol:
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 am

What do u expect from this guy anyway ?

Albert Edwards Has Some Words Of Discouragement: Welcome To S&P 500 Hell by Tyler Durden

It seems that it was only 4 months ago that Albert Edwards was channeling Dante when he advised clients that "All Hope Must Be Crushed For A True Bull Market To Emerge."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/albert-ed ... p-500-hell
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:38 am

winston wrote:
Albert Edwards Has Some Words Of Discouragement: Welcome To S&P 500 Hell

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/albert-ed ... p-500-hell

So the S&P Hell has become one of the strongest rally in a while.

If this is Hell's rally, I cannot wait for Heaven's rally :)

Hmmm.... better not talk too much about Hell. This is the first day of the 7th month :P
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 am

The Ice Age is coming ! The Ice Age is coming !

SocGen Analyst: US In Recession, Stock Market Facing ‘Ice Age’ By Forrest Jones

The U.S. economy has already slid into a recession and stock markets are poised to enter an "Ice Age" marked by little activity and movement, said Societe Generale strategist Albert Edwards.

Hopes that the Federal Reserve will stimulate the U.S. economy via a third round of quantitative easing (QE) have pushed stock prices up in recently, and not corporate fundamentals, as earnings have come in softer lately.

Under QE, the Fed buys assets like Treasury holdings or mortgage-backed securities from banks, pumping the economy full of liquidity to push down borrowing costs and encourage investing and hiring, sending stock prices rising in the process.

The Fed has stimulated the economy twice since 2008 via QE, and once monetary policy runs its course, stocks will settle in for a long winter.

“I believe that the third leg of the Ice Age de-rating in equity markets is imminent. For this secular bear market to end, investors must voluntarily give up hope. Otherwise the vice-like grip of the bear will soon squeeze the hope from their gasping, broken bodies,” Edwards wrote in a note to investors, according to CNBC.

High-profile investors have warned that the days of hefty returns in the stock market are over, while a new era of inflation is dawning, including Bill Gross, founder of Pimco, manager of the world's largest bond fund.

Individual investors should balance their asset mixes according to their ages, with younger owning more stocks and older investors going heavier in bonds.

"And be careful. The age of credit expansion which led to double-digit portfolio returns is over. The age of inflation is upon us, which typically provides a headwind, not a tailwind, to securities price — both stocks and bonds."

http://www.newsmax.com/StreetTalk/US-Re ... /id/451067
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 am

Finally, the perma-bears are turning bullish. They were wrong for so long so why would they be correct this time ? Maybe it's time to sell ...

SocGen’s Edwards: ‘Once-in-a-Lifetime’ Opportunity to Buy European Stocks By John Morgan

Albert Edwards, known as an unrelenting market bear, has reversed course and is now bullish on European stocks — but mostly for investors with binoculars aimed at the far horizon.

Edwards, the chief global strategist for Societe Generale who the Financial Times described as “the most dogged ‘bear’ in the City of London,” created waves with his remarks at the bank’s annual strategy conference.

Edwards said European stocks are “unambiguously cheap” and recommended them for investors who would hold them for 10 years, the Times reported.

In fact, he went so far as to say the current environment represents a “once in a lifetime opportunity” to buy European equities.

However, Edwards also predicted eventual global stock gains to be tempered by considerable short-term pain.

He forecast that European stocks are at risk of a steep fall within the next 12 to 18 months, the Times said. He expects certain world stock markets will need to suffer more than two recessions before a true bull market can begin.

“We haven’t reached a culmination of despair,” Edwards said.

“In the sense that we are so far through the equity bear market, I’m relatively more bullish. I expect the S&P to go below 666. I expect there to be total carnage. But I’m more bullish than I was.”

The Standard & Poor’s 500 was trading around 1,470 Wednesday.

Edwards also said high-yield bonds are overpriced, and could become “the first area to blow up in people’s faces,” the Times said.

The Times reported that the capitulation of a so-called “perma-bear,” as Edwards has been described, would be a major event among highly watched professional investors.

According to MoneyWeek, Edwards also said this week a Chinese credit bubble is “as obvious a catastrophe as the U.S. in 2007.”

He expressed deep concern at capital outflows from China, and said it represents both capital flight (i.e. Chinese nationals transferring their money abroad) and a wider investor belief that China “just isn’t competitive anymore,” MoneyWeek reported.

In addition, he also forecast an emerging-markets balance-of-payments crisis, the magazine said.

Source: Moneynews

http://www.moneynews.com/InvestingAnaly ... /id/471697
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:05 am

Albert Edwards Says Watch Japanese Yen and Be Very Afraid

By Jason Clenfield and Kevin Buckland

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-0 ... id=mostpop
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:27 pm

SocGen: brace for a 2008-style crash and US stocks to fall by 75pc
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... crash.html
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Next

Return to Market Gurus