Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Postby winston » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:30 am

Is Bill Gates the New Ben Franklin?
by Dr. Mark Skousen

Last week, I had the unique opportunity of meeting Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft and, until last year, the world's richest man (worth $58 billion).

The meeting was arranged by friend John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods Market, who was invited by Time magazine to appear on a panel with Bill Gates and other luminaries to comment on Gates' vision of "creative capitalism" and how business can help alleviate world poverty. The panel discussion will be a cover story in Time this month.

The moderator, Time's managing editor Rick Stengel, started the panel by suggesting that Ben Franklin set the standard for good business when he said that business should "do well by doing good."

Is Bill Gates the next Ben Franklin?

Like Franklin, Gates is a brilliant entrepreneur and inventor who created a new technology that transformed the world. In the process, he became a very wealthy man, and so did thousands of his employees and millions of investors. And like Franklin, Gates retired in his 40s to devote the rest of his life to civic service and philanthropy on a global scale by establishing the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Gates is a firm believer in the vital role of market forces and the benefits of free-market capitalism, but thinks big corporations should be nudged into providing products and services that may not be affordable to the poor, such as vaccines. His foundation, the world's largest after Warren Buffett's donation doubled its size, works to improve health care and reduce extreme poverty, and to expand educational opportunities and information technology.

Profiting from John Mackey's "Conscious Capitalism"

The appearance of John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods Market, on this panel is a paradigm shift of monumental importance. It demonstrates the breakthrough Mackey is having in the corporate world and the media.

Mackey was introduced as a "pure libertarian" who is taken seriously, thanks to his creative genius in the natural foods grocery business and his advocacy of "conscious capitalism." Bill Gates appeared to agree wholeheartedly when Mackey defined "conscious capitalism" as:-
1) business having a deeper purpose than maximizing profits, and
2) stakeholder philosophy (harmony of interests among shareholders, officers, workers, customers, suppliers and the community, rather than the traditional "conflict of interests" between labor and management).

Mackey used Bill Gates as a perfect example of his first point: Gates started Microsoft not simply as a way to make a ton of money, but to provide a useful service to customers - the MS-DOS system followed by Windows software. By focusing on customer needs first, Gates became wealthy.

Investors can learn a lot by his example...

If you go into the stock market thinking only in terms of greed and making money, you are likely to get involved in a lot of schemes and short-term trading systems. Most will fail. But if you choose stocks of companies with good long-term fundamentals, you will make a lot of money in the stock market.

As J. Paul Getty states, "It is possible to make money - and a great deal of money - in the stock market. But it can't be done overnight or by haphazard buying and selling. The big profits go to the intelligent, careful and patient investor, not to the reckless and overeager speculator... The seasoned investor buys his stocks when they are priced low, holds them for the long-pull rise and takes in-between dips and slumps in his stride." (See his classic book, "How to Be Rich.")

John spoke about how free-market capitalism does a better job than the government of alleviating poverty - by creating new products and higher income for everyone. Bill Gates kept smiling and nodding his head. But Gates does think government has an important role, especially when some vital services and products, such as vaccines, are not affordable to the poor.

In talking to Mr. Gates after the panel, it was clear his interests have shifted from Microsoft to the Gates Foundation. He resigned as chairman of Microsoft only last month, leaving behind a company that is flush with cash ($21 billion), with revenues exceeding $60 billion, earnings jumping 40% in the most recent quarter, and profit margins approaching 30%. He was passionate in discussing how his foundation is dramatically reducing diseases such as malaria and tuberculosis in poor countries.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Bill Gates

Postby winston » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:17 pm

by LenaHuat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:04 pm

In "market guru", there is no thread on Bill Gates. But I had just caught him on Bloomberg TV.
BloombergTV reported that on NBC V, he said that the US economy is now in a "plateau".

He did not think that the recovery will go back to the previous excessive levels - household debt, household consumption, financial excesses etc.

But I wonder if the "plateau" is the size of Ayers Rock, which would mean that the US economy won't be going anywhere for a pretty long time.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Bill Gates

Postby kennynah » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:55 pm

so, L...please tell us what your thoughts relating to Bill Gates...thanks
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi K :D
Me, to comment on Bill Gates' read on the US economy, the world's richest man :shock: .
Moreover, he's an American.
I think I can only do scat singing in his presence :lol: :lol:
I know Burj Dubai is like a Tower of Babel. There is no need to reach for the sky in order to talk to the Divine.
I haven't been to Ayers Rock but I read that it is a gigantic rock of a plateau :!: Bill Gates is waiting for innovation to reinstate America's supreme position in the world. That's the hard rock.

Me, answer like no answer hor :lol:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Saw Bill & Melinda on CNBC today, talking about their Foundation.

They are doing so much good with their money :)

Melinda has changed a lot over the years. She's now more matured and confident.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:10 pm

LenaHuat wrote:Me, answer like no answer hor :lol:

seriously...i duno yet... give me about 1 week...i need to re-read your post many times over...give me a moment, please 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby iam802 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Bill Gates on Why Vaccines Matter (or why they intend to put money there)

http://www.thegatesnotes.com/Thinking/a ... spx?ID=110
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Bill Gates goes nuclear

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/ne ... _goes.html

Key points:
- to generate power via reactors that run on natural or depleted uranium

If this is successful, it will definitely become a good alternative. Reduce the issue of contamination from depleted uranium and handling of such waste.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm

"I think it's fair to say that personal computers have become the most empowering tool we have ever created."

Bill Gates
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Here is the Forbes 2011 ranking of the top 10:

2. Bill Gates (USA) - $56 billion, Microsoft

Sensing the start of a personal computer revolution, Gates, 55, dropped out of Harvard University in 1975 to start Microsoft and pursue a vision of a computer on every desk and in every home.

Microsoft went public in 1986 and by the next year, the soaring stock made Gates, at age 31, the youngest self-made billionaire.

In 2008 he stepped down from what is now the world's largest software firm to work at The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. He has given $28 billion to it.

Together with his wife Melinda and Warren Buffett, he has also convinced 57 U.S. billionaires to sign up to the Giving Pledge and publicly vow to give away at least 50 percent of their fortune during their lifetime or upon their death.

Source: Reuters
winston
Billionaire Boss

Next

Return to Market Gurus