Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Postby winston » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:17 pm

***Timing + Good Instincts = Wealth by Donald J. Trump, Trump University, The Official Guides to Real Estate

A few strong instincts and a few plain rules suffice us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Handling money well requires instincts. It can be learned, but it also requires a sixth sense that needs to be developed. Gamblers know about timing. Some people have it, some people don't. Life isn't exactly a roll of the dice, but sometimes it seems that way. It can make you wonder: Are events in our lives arbitrary or are they predestined? How much control do we actually have?

I don't have the answers to those questions, but I do know something about timing. Often, it's called patience. I've waited up to 30 years to see some things happen. Waiting to make a move can be more difficult than moving forward. That's when you have to go with a combination of your instincts, your brain, your gut, and your analytical powers. Whoever said making decisions is a snap hasn't made a lot of big decisions. There's no easy formula.

One thing I've learned in negotiations, especially when I really want something, is to lay back a bit, to act like I'm not really sure if I want it or not. This not only puts the competition off a bit, but it also gives me breathing space to assess exactly what it is I'm going for. Why do I want this deal? How much do I want it? What are my motivations? I do a lot of analyzing while I'm waiting for the right time to make my move or to make my move known. I know the importance of timing, and I wait until the ball is in my court before I swing.

Have you ever watched tennis players? I've played and watched a lot of tennis over the years, and the best players have incredible timing. They know how to handle themselves and their opponents with the use of this device called timing. The best players are indomitable because of it. Players falter when they lose it. It can be the difference between a big win and a big loss. Pay attention to that in all your business endeavors.

I also pay attention to comedians because of their ability with timing. The best ones have an impeccable sense of the power of a pause, a split second, or even a glance. It's amazing to see, and I've learned from both watching and listening to them. Everything can be a learning tool, whether you're in school or watching a great comedian.

I can remember when I was tempted to invest in a large piece of real estate, and something kept me from making the final move. This happened repeatedly, so I decided to wait. A couple of months later, a huge storm damaged the area so badly that I felt I had been spared a big mistake just by responding to my gut feelings. It pays to pay attention to your instincts. The land may have been great, but the timing was wrong.

Whether you're in business or in music, tempo matters. You can destroy a beautiful piece of music by using the wrong tempo, and the same goes with business deals. I'm all for momentum, but there are times when you have to slow down a bit and mind the checks and the time signatures. Being methodical at times does not equal complacency'it's part of a technique, even if it may not appear to be a virtuoso approach.

I watched 40 Wall Street for years before making a move on it. No one knew I was interested in it; there was no such indication from me. But I had a proprietary concern from the beginning because it was a beautiful and historic building. Only much later did my tempo increase enough to indicate I might be interested. I made a lot of money by waiting and watching, close to a $400 million profit, in fact.

Just because an opportunity surfaces doesn't automatically mean it is an opportune time to pursue the opportunity. Be circumspect about things. Be aware of the big picture, and give time a chance to work for you. This takes some practice, and you have to be alert to the nuances involved in the timing'but as Churchill said: 'Continuous effort'not strength or intelligence'is the key to unlocking our potential.' Keep working at it, give it your attention, and when the time is right, don't miss a beat at going for what you want. That's what timing is about.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Timi ... ealth.html
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Donald Trump

Postby winston » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Go Beyond Money by Donald J. Trump, Trump University, The Official Guides to Real Estate

The first sentence in my first book, The Art of the Deal , goes like this: “I don’t do it for the money. I’ve got enough, much more than I’ll ever need. I do it to do it. Deals are my art form. Other people paint beautifully on canvas or write wonderful poetry. I like making deals, preferably big deals. That’s how I get my kicks.”

That book came out in 1987. It’s almost 20 years later and I’m still making deals and I’m still not doing it for the money. I think time is on my side because I have a lot more money now than I did then.

At the end of that book, I also mention that there are two things I have found myself to be very good at: overcoming obstacles and motivating good people to do their best work. I’ve had some major challenges since then, which I’ve met, and I’ve made a hit television show out of motivating smart people to do and be their best. I certainly didn’t see that one coming, nor did I see Trump University surfacing either. But here we are, with The Apprentice entering yet another season and Trump University expanding in many ways.

I didn’t get involved in either one of these ventures to make money. I had something to offer and the opportunities presented themselves to me. I was simply in the midst of doing my daily deals when these things found their way to me. It’s funny how that can work. Notice that I said I was working, doing my daily deals. I wasn’t sitting around waiting for people to come up with great ideas for me. I was focused on my business and moving forward daily when they were presented to me. There’s something about keeping your momentum going that can work like a generator in producing and attracting good energy and great ideas.

If I was in it just for the money, I would never have ended up doing a lot of the things I’ve done. Take Wollman Rink, for example. My decision to renovate it didn’t come from any profit motive. I did it to save the city time and money. I knew I had the ability to get it done in less time and for less money. I loved doing that job because I love New York City and Central Park, and the citizens of New York deserve the best.

Ask yourself what you love doing first, then think about the money. If you think about the money first, you’ve got it all wrong. That’s a backwards approach to success, and it won't be very rewarding for very long. Sure, money is a scorecard and it is certainly useful, but it shouldn’t be the be all and end all. See it as the means to an end, but not the total reason for your efforts or endeavors. As Benjamin Franklin put it: “He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. ”

You might be thinking that it’s easy for me to say what I’m saying because I’m already a billionaire. It probably helps, but even when I was a millionaire, I was interested above all in the end product. I had to care about what I was doing, while keeping the big picture in mind. I wanted to transform the Commodore Hotel into a beautiful Hyatt Hotel not just because it would be a great success, but because it would help the surrounding, increasingly dilapidated area of Grand Central on 42nd Street. That’s a major thoroughfare, and it was becoming an eyesore and an undesirable location in midtown Manhattan. My success there began a renewal that has continued to this day. Yes, I made money, but there was more to it than just that.

Give your goals substance. Imbue them with a value that exceeds the monetary. Make them count on as many levels as you can. Give them a subtext that will provide them with a dimension that will not only benefit you but other people as well. In other words, get the big picture. That’s an important aspect of thinking big--and a big step towards greater success.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Go_Beyond_Money.html
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Donald Trump

Postby winston » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 pm

"As long as you're going to be thinking anyway, think big."

Donald Trump
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:05 pm

On CNBC Titans this week.

Not sure I like this guy but I'm sure there's something to learn.

I did read one of his books a long time ago...
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:59 am

Even Donald Trump Is Warning That An Economic Collapse Is Coming

In a shocking new interview, Donald Trump has gone farther than he ever has before in discussing a potential economic collapse in America.

Using phrases such as “you’re going to pay $25 for a loaf of bread pretty soon” and “we could end up being another Egypt”, Trump explained to Newsmax that he is incredibly concerned about the direction our economy is headed.

Whatever you may think of Donald Trump on a personal level, it is undeniable that he has been extremely successful in business. As one of the most prominent businessmen in America, he is absolutely horrified about what is happening to this nation.

In fact, he is so disturbed about the direction that this country is heading that he is seriously considering running for president in 2012.

But whether he decides to run in 2012 or not, what Trump is now saying about the U.S. economy should be a huge wake up call for all of us.

http://www.thetradingreport.com/2011/02 ... is-coming/
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm

6 Life Lessons We Can Learn From Donald Trump By Evelyn Lim

Who wouldn't want a life lesson from Donald Trump? One of the world's most successful -- and popular billionaires. He owns some of the U.S.A.'s most prime real estate and is best known for his NBC television show The Apprentice. The words "You're fired!" are permanently tied to Mr. Trump for so many people.

Although most do not like his apparent arrogance, there is no denying that he may have a thing or two to teach us on life lessons.

Life Lesson 1: Who said you need moderation to be successful?

"A little more moderation would be good. Of course, my life hasn't exactly been one of moderation."

It is like they say today: "Go big or go home." If you truly want to be successful, Trump would say you need to take it over the top. Do everything with great intensity and drive. People with intensity and drive can't help but succeed.

Life Lesson 2: A little attention can be a very good thing

"I could never have imagined that firing 67 people on national television would actually make me more popular, especially with the younger generation."

It is funny to think that some younger people didn't know much about Donald Trump, until The Apprentice brought him into their living rooms. Having a strong public image is critical to the success of any career that you choose, even if your career is just local in your community.

Do things that raise your presence and draw positive attention to yourself like get quoted in the newspaper about community events or volunteer for charity to help those in need.

Life Lesson 3: Try being in the right place at the right time for the right opportunity

"Everything in life is luck."

To be successful you have to be willing to welcome the chance of being lucky. You can certainly make your own luck in life, but you can also look for more opportunities to be lucky when you know how to read the signs. Being in the right place at the right time can very easily make a deal. Luck can be a big part of your success.

Life Lesson 4: Make an impact with your life

"I wasn't satisfied just to earn a good living. I was looking to make a statement."

Trump knows not only how to be successful, but how to make an impact. You might wonder, "Does it really matter?" But Trump knows that making this impact matters to his bottom line.

People see him as successful and wealthy and even more people want to do business with him because he is seen as successful and wealthy. It is a circle that Trump knows and takes full advantage of.

Life Lesson 5: Let others take the spotlight

"I'm a bit of a P. T. Barnum. I make stars out of everyone."

You see that Trump does not just make himself the star, he makes everyone else the star. A great leader makes others feel good about themselves. You'll notice when on The Apprentice each team wins a challenge, they receive some type of luxurious reward.

It may be a private dinner at an exclusive restaurant, or meeting former Mayor of New York City, Rudolph Giuliani to talk about his new book on leadership. Trump knows that making everyone the star increases his appeal.

Life Lesson 6: Live the life you love all the time

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable."

Trump has said in his recent books on his life that he works seven days a week! That is true dedication to your career, making it your life's work. To be successful, find something that makes you happy that you want to be successful at. Don't just look for the job you're ready to run out the door when the five o'clock bell goes off each day.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/6_Li ... Trump.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Donald Trump on CNN now.

He will very likely run for President.

First thing he will do is put a 25% tax on all Chinese goods :D
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:12 am

I sat through the entire interview with Donald Trump on Piers Morgan.

In case you dont know, Piers Morgan replaced Larry King recently.

Although I dont agree with some of Donald Trump's views, having somebody like Donald Trump as President, would definitely be good for America. He's street smart and have the common sense to cut off a lot of wastage in big government.

The interview touched on various things like the wastage in defense eg. Korea and Kuwait, unfair trade arrangements with India and China, China's currency manipulation etc.

He mentioned that he would decide on whether to run for President in June.

From the interview, I think he wants to run for President. He was testing the water last night.

The question is whether he wants to do it as an Independent or as a Republican. My guess is that he will run as a Republican. It would hurt his pocket less. Afterall, he's a still a businessman at heart and knows how to manage his expenses ..
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby millionairemind » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 am

If he wants to impost a 25% import tax on Chinese goods, it will end up hurting the US consumers... although the US gahmen would be richer... :D
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:54 am

The intention of imposing a 25% tax on Chinee goods, is to get the Chinese to sit down on the table to negotiate. Right now, they dont really give a sh**.

If the Chinese wants to continue to manipulate their currency, then they have to tell America what they want to offer in return.

And he will also have the best negotiators on Wall Street, to negotiate with the Chiniese, not a bunch of useless diplomats.

If I can agree with some of the views of Donald Trump, just imagine how much votes he wlll get from the heartland of America.

Incidentally, I think government must always be run by business people. They know how to manage expenses and not waste money on things like ceremonies, parades, fireworks, stadiums, unfair trade arrangements, defence etc. while there are still people living in poverty, aged sick with no medical care etc.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Next

Return to Market Gurus