Li Ka Shing

Re: Li Ka Shing

Postby winston » Thu May 21, 2009 8:54 pm

With his X-Ray vision, Superman cant see green-shoots ?

Billionaire Li Ka-Shing Urges Caution on Stock-Market Purchases By Mark Lee and Theresa Tang

May 21 (Bloomberg) -- Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing, chairman and founder of the city’s second-largest property developer, warned investors to “be careful” when buying stocks owing to concerns about economic growth.

His comments, made to reporters after the annual shareholder meeting of his flagship real estate company Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd., contrast with a March 26 statement that investors with cash should consider buying equities and real estate. The Hang Seng Index surged 22 percent since then.

“Recovery in the stock market usually comes before the economy, but it’s not every time,” said Li, who is known as ‘Superman’ locally because of his investment acumen. “If you ask me if the stock market can go higher, it’s possible. But be careful, the economy still has some problems this year.”

The Hang Seng has climbed 52 percent from a four-month low on March 9 as investors speculated government stimulus efforts worldwide, including a 4 trillion yuan ($586 billion) package in China, will ease the global economic slump.

Signs of a recovery have been mixed. While Centaline Property Agency Ltd.’s home-price index has jumped 13.3 percent this year, the government said on May 15 that the economy shrank 4.3 percent in the first quarter, more than some economists expected. A May 19 report showed that Hong Kong’s jobless rate rose to the highest in three years.

Li was ranked No. 16 on Forbes magazine’s list of the world’s richest people with a fortune of $16.2 billion, the publication said in March. This makes him Asia’s second-richest man, behind India’s Mukesh Ambani, who has $19.5 billion.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Fri May 22, 2009 4:53 pm

The Chinese media has a different take of what LKS said at the meeting :lol: :lol: :
http://v.ifeng.com/f/200905/3ad49dc8-745e-4bb0-bed8-f33c6ca84aac.shtml
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Li Ka-shing Says Global Economy Won’t Recover in 2009 (Update2)
By Chia-Peck Wong and Mark Lee

Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Billionaire Li Ka-shing, who predicted China’s stock-market bubble would burst in 2007, said the global economy won’t recover this year and told investors to be “cautious” about buying shares, especially with borrowed money.

“The worst is over for the global economy,” Li, Asia’s second-richest man, said today after his companies, Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd. and Hutchison Whampoa Ltd., posted better-than- estimated first-half earnings. “Yet it’s too optimistic to say the global economy has reached a turning point. The degree of decline has shrunk but that doesn’t mean it has stopped shrinking.”

Predictions from 81-year-old Li are closely watched in Hong Kong, where the media has dubbed him “Superman” for his investing acumen. Home prices in the city have risen 15 percent since March, when he told investors to buy real estate.

“The things he says influence many investors,” said Castor Pang, a strategist at Sun Hung Kai Securities Ltd. in Hong Kong. “His predictions about the stock market have been the most accurate among Hong Kong tycoons.”

Li said investors should avoid margin trading or borrowing to buy stocks when prices are too high.

“I won’t buy stocks today,” Li said. “It’s not that I wouldn’t buy at all, but if the prices are too high, I will be very careful. For example, if the P/E is low and the dividend yield is okay, and the stock isn’t overbought, I will buy.”

Shanghai IPO

Li said he is considering listing his companies in Shanghai.

“Possible. Possible. But I will be more careful in this matter because I am representing a lot of shareholders,” Li said. “I will be more careful about the details, rules and requirements. But yes, if you ask me about listing in Shanghai, I am considering it.”

Global trade has shrunk and interest rates won’t rise in the short-term, Li said at a press conference after the results were announced. He said the worst is over for containerized shipping, and the pace of the decline in Asia will slow.

“Globally, ports are steadier compared with 2008,” Li said. “They fell, but the degree of decline from now onwards won’t be as severe as in the past few months.”

Chaozhou-Born

Born in Chaozhou in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, Li turned the plastics company he opened in Hong Kong in 1950 into investments in retailing, real estate, ports and energy in 54 countries.

That global scope hurt earnings at Hutchison, operator of container terminals in 49 ports including Hong Kong; Felixstowe, U.K.; Buenos Aires; Freeport, Bahamas; Sohar, Oman; and Amsterdam. Falling oil prices eroded Hutchison’s energy earnings.

Hong Kong’s property market is “healthy” and Cheung Kong may raise home prices if sales improve, Victor Li, Li Ka-shing’s eldest son who is deputy chairman of Hutchison and Cheung Kong, told reporters today.

The city’s home prices have risen 22 percent this year, according to the Centa-City Leading Index, a weekly measure developed by Centaline Property Agency Ltd. and City University of Hong Kong.

“Hong Kong is a lot better than many other places in the world,” Li Ka-shing said. “The government is already trying hard. The economy will take longer to recover. It won’t recover fully by the end of the year.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... xiHyOphJtI
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 am

Billionaire Li Says Stock Gains Outstripped Economic Growth By Le-Min Lim and John Duce

Jan. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing said investors should look for more proof the recession has given way to economic growth before buying into stocks.

“When it comes to investments, it’s better to be careful. The world has just emerged from the financial crisis,” Li said in impromptu comments to reporters at a convention center in Hong Kong yesterday. “You saw how much the stock prices gained in 2009, in the U.S., everywhere. The rises have run ahead of economic fundamentals.”

Li, 81, boosted his stake in his Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. 12 times last month and according to Bloomberg data controls 52 percent of the company that has interests including telecommunications, retail, property and ports. Data from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange indicate Li, Hong Kong’s richest man, recently raised his stake in his real estate company, Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd., to 41.5 percent.

Urging Caution

Li previously had urged investors to be cautious, particularly when using borrowed money, when Hutchison and Cheung Kong reported earnings on Aug. 13. Since then, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index has risen 6.8 percent. The index gained 52 percent in 2009.

“I think Mr. Li tends to be bearish and cautious when there are signs the economy is beginning to do well and more bullish when the market is doing badly,” said Ernie Hon, an analyst at ICBC International in Hong Kong. “I’ve heard him say similar things before and I don’t tend to take them to heart.”

Hong Kong shares are trading at an average of about 15 times earnings, which is not overvalued, according to Hon. “Investors are putting money into the market here because China offers some of the few good investment opportunities available,” he said.

Focus on Fundamentals

“When I decide what assets to buy, I focus on the company’s fundamentals, its net asset value, its price-to- earnings ratio and its maximum potential for growth, said Li. He controls 67 percent of Hutchison Telecom, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Li said a speech this evening in Hong Kong that his Cheung Kong Holdings Group has at least HK$50 billion at its disposal for acquisitions and that it is “strategically positioned to tap unlimited investment opportunities,” according to a transcript of his remarks released by the company.

Li is dubbed “Superman” by Hong Kong’s media because of his track record for investing. He correctly predicted in 2007 that China’s stock market was in a “bubble.”

Li was estimated to be worth $16.2 billion by a Forbes magazine survey in March 2009.

He was born in 1928 in Chaozhou in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong and expanded the Hong Kong plastics company he founded in 1950 through real-estate investments and acquisitions.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... RvzICZbzj0
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 am

Li Ka-shing Opens Up About His Early Years
May 10, 2010 - 4:25 pm
Luisa KrollBio

A native of China, Li Ka-shing, 81, fled with his family to Hong Kong in 1940. He had to quit school a few years later when he was just 15-years-old after his father died of tuberculosis. He worked in a plastics factory to support his family and later made plastic flowers to be exported to the U.S.

Today Li, who oversees Cheung Kong and Hutchison Whampoa, two massive conglomerates, is the richest person in Greater China and is the wealthiest entirely self-made billionaire in all of Asia worth a recent $21 billion.

But how did he overcome his tough childhood and turn his luck around, and come to dominate Hong Kong's economy as one author writes?

Li, who is one of 10 inspiring billionaires featured in our Rags to World’s Richest story, answered questions about his childhood and his success. Below is the full transcript of his responses.

1. What was the most difficult experience of your childhood? How did your childhood shape and influence your success? What did you learn from you childhood experience?

The most terrible experience during my childhood was witnessing my father’s suffering and ultimately dying of TB. I too was infected. The burden of poverty and this bitter taste of helplessness and isolation sort of branded on my heart forever the questions that still drive me.

Is it possible to reshape one's destiny? Is it possible to minimize challenges through lessening complexities? And is it possible to enhance chances for success through meticulous planning?

2. What is the best advice you can offer other entrepreneurs who don't have much means?

Managing a family on a tight budget is hard, but managing a company with a tight cash flow is even harder. I am always vigilant about cash flow. I have adhered to a steady cash flow, high reserve and a healthy debt to equity ratio. “Seeking growth while maintaining stability” has always been my motto, striking the right inter-relatedness of growth and stability is important. We should never allow ourselves to be burdened by opportunities that abound.

3. In studying some amazing stories of very successful people like yourself, we have been very interested to see how far some have come…Do you think the fact that you had so little to lose helped encourage you to take more risks than perhaps you would have otherwise?

My interpretation of “risk” has always been, whether the methodology you deploy to seize opportunity is a correct one.

Even when I diversified into property and later into multinational businesses, I was still vigilant about maintaining a healthy debt to equity ratio, well within the margin of errors. I am therefore less threatened by the 'ups and downs' in the market or the volatility of the global economy.

Our high reserves also enable us to seize timely investment opportunities. Even though we have to shoulder heavy investments such as our global 3G business, we could still manage prudently and delivers profit every year for the past 60 years. My motto is my safeguard.

http://blogs.forbes.com/billions/2010/0 ... ntextstory
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue May 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Billionaire Li Ka Shing wrote:My interpretation of “risk” has always been, whether the methodology you deploy to seize opportunity is a correct one.

this one...i like....and can identify with...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:13 pm

Li Ka-shing Makes His Biggest Purchase of Hutchison Stock in Seven Years
By Mark Lee

Aug. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Susan Li reports on Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing’s views on Chinese banks. Li spoke yesterday at a press conference in Hong Kong after his biggest companies, Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. and Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd., reported earnings that beat analysts’ estimates. Victor Li, deputy chairman of Cheung Kong and Li’s son, also spoke about the property market. (Source: Bloomberg)

Billionaire Li Ka-shing made his biggest investment in Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. shares in at least seven years, boosting a stock that’s already been the best performer of the month in Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index.

Li bought 5.9 million Hutchison shares at an average price of HK$59.35 on Aug. 10, his largest single purchase since at least January 2003, according to a filing to the Hong Kong stock exchange yesterday. He’s bought more than 15 million shares since Aug. 6, a day after the company posted first-half profit that beat analysts’ estimates.

The 19 percent rally in Hutchison shares this month has increased the estimated $21 billion fortune of Li, Hong Kong’s richest man, who’s been adding to his holdings since 2008. The global economic rebound lifted Hutchison’s earnings from ports, retail and property, helping the company fund an eighth year of mobile-phone losses in Europe.

“It’s got more upside,” said Danie Schutte, an analyst at CLSA Ltd. in Hong Kong who estimates Hutchison shares may rise to HK$74. “One week of outperformance doesn’t make this stock expensive.”

Li’s recent action to increase his stake is “a positive for the stock,” Schutte said.

Hutchison, with operations in industries including ports and telecommunications in 54 countries, rose 1.6 percent to HK$62.20 at the midday break in Hong Kong trading today. Its shares gained 17 percent since the company’s Aug. 5 earnings announcement, making this month’s increase the most of the 43 stocks on the benchmark Hang Seng Index.

Fok’s Investment

Canning Fok, Hutchison’s managing director, bought 1 million shares at an average price of HK$56.75 on Aug. 6, sparking a rally in the shares Aug. 11.

Li, 82, now holds 52.28 percent of Hutchison, according to Hong Kong exchange data. He’s been adding to his investments this year, including last month’s $9.1 billion bid to buy power networks in the U.K.

Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Ltd., Hutchison’s utility and toll roads unit, on July 30 led a group that offered to buy the U.K. assets from Electricite de France SA. The proposed investment by the group, which includes Li’s Hongkong Electric Holdings Ltd. and the Li Ka-shing Foundation, would be the billionaire’s biggest acquisition.

On Aug. 5, Li said he will buy shares of Hutchison and Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd., his flagship property developer. The two companies that day posted six-month earnings that exceeded analysts’ estimates, and Li said he is “optimistic” on the second-half outlook.

Losses at Hutchison’s 3 Group, operator of high-speed wireless businesses in Europe and Australia, will end this year, the company said last week. The mobile-phone unit, unprofitable since starting services in 2003, has weighed on Hutchison’s stock, which before this year had underperformed the Hang Seng Index annually since 2005.

Li was listed as the world’s 14th-richest person in March by Forbes magazine, compared with 16th a year earlier, after his wealth increased to $21 billion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-1 ... ances.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Li was listed as the world’s 14th-richest person in March by Forbes magazine, compared with 16th a year earlier, after his wealth increased to $21 billion.

amazing how a person can be so wealthy.... :shock:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby helios » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Spent my whole morning watching past clips of "Superman" ... good interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDS7Q_t0 ... re=related
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:31 pm

San San wrote:Spent my whole morning watching past clips of "Superman" ... good interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDS7Q_t0 ... re=related

While you are enjoying the interviews, be careful not to buy into the myth that he started his empire from scratch.

He married the boss's daughter to get a big head start in life.

You might want to read the book Asian godfathers: money and power in Hong Kong and Southeast Asia if you are interested.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Market Gurus