Barton Biggs

Re: Barton Biggs

Postby LenaHuat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:27 am

LenaHuat on 27th May 2010 wrote:
“The market is very, very oversold, and I think we’re going to have a big pop to the upside some time in the next couple of days,” said Biggs. “I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go to a new recovery high, just to make everybody squirm.”

Today is day 1.
Ooops, according to iam802, tonite is going to be a long nite.

2day is the 28th day. Maybe we shld pay more attention to him only when he gets to a magazine cover :lol: .
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:11 pm

So BB has acted, that is, changed his mind :lol: . I really like this guy. Like him, I have no triumphalist expectations or aspirations. The market is always right. After all, the freedom to speak more depends on otherness.
July 3 (Bloomberg) -- Concern governments around the world are curtailing stimulus measures too soon spurred Barton Biggs to sell about half of his stock investments this week.

Biggs, whose Traxis Partners LLC gained 38 percent in 2009 when he bought equities after the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index fell to a 12-year low, sold most of his U.S. technology holdings, he told Bloomberg Television yesterday.

Signs the U.S. economy is weakening convinced Traxis to reverse course as the S&P 500 posted a weekly slump of 5 percent, bringing its loss since April 23 to 16 percent. Biggs, 77, said yesterday he cut bullish bets by about half since June 29, when they made up 70 percent of his fund.

“I can change my mind very quickly,” Biggs, who manages $1.4 billion, said in a telephone interview following the Bloomberg Television appearance. “I’m not wildly bearish, but I don’t want to have a lot of risk at this point. I just want to have less exposure at a time like this.”
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby lithium » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Guess everyone is very worried at this moment. Seeing the Head and Shoulder
"Play Great Defence, not Great Offence "
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:42 pm

well...not so for people with no significant positions....like me.... 8-)
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:26 am

Biggs: Buy Stocks Now as Double-Dip Odds Are Remote

Barton Biggs said investors should avoid the mistake he made in July, when the hedge-fund manager slashed his equity holdings in half before redoubling them.

“This is not a time where you want to be underinvested,” Biggs recently said on Bloomberg Television. “The odds of a significant slowdown are one in five, pretty remote.”

Biggs said at the end of June that equities were a bargain, and then reversed course on July 2, saying in an interview that he’d cut stock holdings to about 35 percent of his assets. Three weeks later, he told Bloomberg News that shares made up 75 percent of his Traxis Partners LLC fund as the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index headed for a 6.9 percent July rally.

The 77-year-old manager didn’t disclose his current allocation to equities yesterday. He said he holds a “fair amount of risk” and favors “high-quality, big-capitalization stocks in America,” as well as oil-services companies and real- estate investment trusts.

Traxis gained 38 percent in 2009 after Biggs bought shares as the S&P 500 fell to a 12-year low in March.

He turned more pessimistic on the U.S. economy two months ago after reports showing slower-than-estimated growth in jobs and factory orders cast doubt on the global economic recovery. Biggs said he was concerned governments around the world were curtaining stimulus measures too soon.

http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/bar ... /id/368909
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:05 am

A Bullish Outlook, According To Barton Biggs By Prieur du Plessis

Barton Biggs, managing partner at Traxis Partners, tells CNBC he expects the S&P 500 to move up another 10 to 15%.

http://www.dailymarkets.com/stock/2010/ ... ton-biggs/
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:38 am

In the 3 July post here, he was quoted to have said that he could change his mind quickly. Me, too :lol:
I am in his corner now.
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 am

Biggs Looks to Big, High-Quality Multi-Nationals

Hedge fund guru Barton Biggs says recent economic data is very encouraging, and says he expects the market to continue climbing a Wall of Worry. Biggs tells Bloomberg that he thinks smaller stocks, which have had a lengthy run of outperformance, aren’t the place to be.

“I would definitely be betting against them, and betting for the big caps — the big-cap, high-quality stocks,” he says.

Biggs also says the upheaval in Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries hasn’t caused him to sell. One area that does have him concerned, however: the U.S. housing market.

http://theguruinvestor.com/2011/02/01/b ... nationals/
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 am

The "experts" commenting on something half the world away ..

Biggs Says Asia Stocks to Beat S&P 500 in Next Year By Ye Xie and Tom Keene

Asian stocks will likely beat the Standard & Poor’s 500 index over the next year and China will need to allow the yuan to appreciate as much as 8 percent to avoid further inflation, investor Barton Biggs said.

“I’m a big bull on China,” Biggs, who runs New York-based hedge fund Traxis Partners LP, said at the Bloomberg China Investment Strategies conference in New York today. “The S&P is going to beat Asia for the next three or four months, but over the next year Asia is going to be a tiger.”

Biggs, who recommended buying U.S. stocks when the S&P 500 Index started rallying in 2009, said last month global stocks may rise between 10 percent and 20 percent depending on the pace of economic recovery.

The yuan advanced 3.7 percent since the government relaxed a two-year dollar peg in June and reached 6.5808 on Jan. 24, the strongest level since China unified official and market exchange rates at the end of 1993. The currency has gained 26 percent since 2005.

“The right thing for China, for America and for the world is for the RMB to appreciate and it really should appreciate not at a 5 percent rate,” Biggs, 78, said. “The best way for the world is a gradual 7.5 percent or 8 percent appreciation. If they don’t let it appreciate, they’re going to have inflation and serious wage inflation. And they’re already starting to have it.”

Biggs said he’s bullish on China because policy makers have managed the economy well.

“I think China is going to be one of the two or three, maybe the best major markets in the world,” Biggs said. “Basically the Chinese have done a really superb job of engineering a soft landing. They did what we should have done going into the crisis. They applied massive stimulus very quickly. They came booming out of their slowdown. They may have overdone it a little bit.”

The new government in China is unlikely to be destabilizing, Biggs said.

“China is a command economy and a command political system,” Biggs said. “The new government is fully vetted by the old government. I don’t think that’s a negative. For a developing country that started with a low per-capita incoming and is bootstrapping itself, a benevolent dictatorship is the best government.”

Home Price Forecast

In the U.S., the economy is vulnerable to further declines in U.S. home prices, said Biggs, a former chief global strategist for Morgan Stanley. Property values may fall another 5 percent to 10 percent, he said.

Fund managers James Chanos and Marc Faber and Harvard University professor Kenneth Rogoff are among those who have warned of a crash in China if the government can’t stop the property bubble there. About 45 percent of global investors surveyed by Bloomberg last month said they expect a financial crisis in China within five years.

Biggs said he disagrees with Chanos.

Jim Chanos is probably the greatest living short seller and I have great respect for him,” Biggs said. “But I suggest he go to China before he gets too negative on it.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-0 ... china.html
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Japan

Geithner is a conniving bureaucrat. Barton Biggs, on the other hand, is a 40-year market veteran. He was the head of institutional research at Morgan Stanley before leaving to start his own hedge fund, Traxxis Partners.

Barton told the Wall Street Journal, "I'm buying Japan right now." He said the panic selling was "a gross overreaction."

And how will Japan rebuild? "They'll sell Treasurys and rebuild, they can finance it because it's a country of savers," Biggs said.

Source: Growth Stock Wire
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Market Gurus