Wheat

Re: Wheat

Postby b0rderc0llie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:13 am

Think the margin differs with each brokerage. I checked the contract for different months. They all give the same initial margin requirement.
b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby lithium » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:16 am

OK, can you check margin of Mini hang seng & Mini H-shares for me :oops:

Over here is HK$13030 & HK$8690 respectively.
"Play Great Defence, not Great Offence "
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby b0rderc0llie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:19 am

I am using optionsxpress. They don't have access to the HK market.
b0rderc0llie
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 am

hmmmm....interesting that you guys are enjoying a discount from what CME requires as initial margin

below taken from CME

WHEAT (W)-WHEAT FUTURES (W)
Spec - ...........New Crop $2,363 $1,750
Hedge/Member - New Crop $1,750 $1,750

the left figure is Initial Margin Requirment...the 2nd is Maintenance Requirement..
Last edited by kennynah on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby kennynah » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 am

lithium wrote:This margin changes with prices right? The list I'm refering to is 4th Aug 2010, maybe this is the reason. :lol:

this initial margin requirement is also known as Performance Bond, which is required by the clearing firm and administered thru every brokerage... it does not fluctuate with different months or price of the futures...

the amount changes based purely on the clearing house, but usually it is becos of sudden volatility that they will ask for more performance bond; ie. higher initial requirement...

lithium...i suspect that the one you saw, is for wheat mini-futures....much like sp500 e-mini futures (/ES) which has 5 times smaller initial requirement compared to sp500 futures...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby lithium » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks Kenny ko for enlightening.

But over here Mini Wheat is only US$338 wor. Trading on CBOT exchange, correct ah?
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am

lithium wrote:OK, can you check margin of Mini hang seng & Mini H-shares for me :oops:

here it is...from CME

WHEAT (W)-MINI-SIZED WHEAT FUTURES (YW)
Spec - ..........New Crop $473 $350
Hedge/Member - New Crop $350 $350

i will not be surprised at all that POEMS asks for a lot more .... they want to buffer themselves against non-performance...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby lithium » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:44 am

kennynah wrote:
lithium wrote:OK, can you check margin of Mini hang seng & Mini H-shares for me :oops:

here it is...from CME

WHEAT (W)-MINI-SIZED WHEAT FUTURES (YW)
Spec - ..........New Crop $473 $350
Hedge/Member - New Crop $350 $350

i will not be surprised at all that POEMS asks for a lot more .... they want to buffer themselves against non-performance...

Erm..... Kenny ko, you comparing Hang seng index with Wheat ?
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:49 am

hi lithium,

i meant that i suspect that the figure below is for mini wheat futures... be good if you can confirm...bcos, usd1688 as initial margin is way below even CME's requirement of usd2363/contract for full-sized wheat futures..

BC's figure at usd2344 is closer and it could be for his preferred customer "status"

lithium wrote:I see US$1688 at Poems :roll:

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby lithium » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:51 am

Ok kenny, happy trading wheat ;)
lithium
Boss' Left Hand Person

PreviousNext

Return to Commodities