Singapore Airlines

Re: SIA

Postby winston » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:00 am

RESEARCH ALERT-Goldman Sachs cuts SIA to sell

SINGAPORE, June 6 (Reuters) - Goldman Sachs has downgraded its investment rating for Singapore Airlines to "sell" from "neutral" and lowered its price target to S$14 from S$14.80, citing rising jet fuel prices and softening air traffic demand.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby lendevear » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:13 pm

SIA's NAV is about $12. With a strong balance sheet and sitting on decent cash pile, it will be a steal if it falls below $14.50 before XD.

With it's share buyback mandate enforced religiously and above 5% dividend yield, we can invest with a margin of safety.

This stock is appealing even to conservative investors if it can be bought at $14.
lendevear
Loafer

Postby millionairemind » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Welcome to Huatopedia, Lendevear...

And to borrow a line from Kenny who is a founding member "@ Huatopedia, everyday is a Huat Huat day"

Thanks for your first post and tots and we look forward to more posts from you in the future.

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby qxing78 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:09 am

I was thinking of this puzzle today, while on the bus.
I remember when I was younger, say 15 years ago, SBS bus fares for adults is about 50c (for lowest tier, no aircon). Today, it costs 62c (lowest, no aircon, by Ezlink) or 67c (lowest, aircon, by Ezlink card). So, bus fare has gone up a little more than 20%, considering the higher operating costs.
But I dun really think air fare (economy class) has gone up by more than 20%, despite the higher operating costs and better inflight services for all airlines.
In fact, air fare has remained relatively 'cheap' due to competition, economies of scale and also better fuel efficient planes.
my common sense tells me passengers volume for air travel has increased much faster than that of bus travel (in % wise)
But with oil prices at high record levels, I think air-travel will become more expensive once all the inefficient airlines are cut-off and filed for bankcruptcies.
The few survivors airlines will raise fares.
That said, some airlines who can survive high oil prices, may not be profitable but are kept alive by their government due to national interest.

SIA survived and thrived all these years, probably because of their Business and 1st class passengers load which is very strong, esp. in some routes like Jakarta and Bangkok.
Anyway, not a call to buy/sell SIA. just some general discussion here.
qxing78
Loafer

Postby kennynah » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:16 am

i bought their shares, becos i just adore our singapore girls... :lol: until they start asking,...."sir, corpi, tee or jude ?"
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby lendevear » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:48 am

qxing78 wrote:I was thinking of this puzzle today, while on the bus.
I remember when I was younger, say 15 years ago, SBS bus fares for adults is about 50c (for lowest tier, no aircon). Today, it costs 62c (lowest, no aircon, by Ezlink) or 67c (lowest, aircon, by Ezlink card). So, bus fare has gone up a little more than 20%, considering the higher operating costs.
But I dun really think air fare (economy class) has gone up by more than 20%, despite the higher operating costs and better inflight services for all airlines.
In fact, air fare has remained relatively 'cheap' due to competition, economies of scale and also better fuel efficient planes.
my common sense tells me passengers volume for air travel has increased much faster than that of bus travel (in % wise)
But with oil prices at high record levels, I think air-travel will become more expensive once all the inefficient airlines are cut-off and filed for bankcruptcies.
The few survivors airlines will raise fares.
That said, some airlines who can survive high oil prices, may not be profitable but are kept alive by their government due to national interest.

SIA survived and thrived all these years, probably because of their Business and 1st class passengers load which is very strong, esp. in some routes like Jakarta and Bangkok.
Anyway, not a call to buy/sell SIA. just some general discussion here.

That's a valid observation. In fact, a crisis acts as a efficient mechnism to clear off poorly operated business and bring out the best from the survivors.

To be honest, the SARS crisis was even tougher for SIA to handle, yet it managed to squeeze out decent profit margins and dividends.

The current price of crude oil has to do with speculative demand as excess liquidity are moving to commodities, pushing up the price.

The market will eventually recognise that and people will rather cut down on spending than to pay excessively.

Oil prices will have to come down, eventually. The question is only when and how high it will go.
lendevear
Loafer

Postby winston » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 am

RESEARCH ALERT-JPMorgan starts Singapore Air at neutral

SINGAPORE, June 10 (Reuters) - JPMorgan has started its coverage on Singapore Airlines with an investment rating of "neutral" and a price target of S$15 per share.

"We will turn more positive when:
1) load factors decline further and look set to rebound;
2) fuel prices correct substantially;
3) more airlines cut capacity or fold...and
4) further capital management,"
analyst Corrine Png said in a note.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:47 pm

SIA sold, leased back 5 Boeing 777 planes

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines said on Tuesday it had sold five Boeing 777 aircraft in its fleet to Pembroke Group, a unit of Standard Chartered, and leased them back.

The airline gave no financial details of the deal. -- REUTERS
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:14 pm

The Treasury and the Federal Reserve should not bail out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as this would increase the already gaping U.S. public debt, investor Jim Rogers, CEO of Rogers Holdings, told "Worldwide Exchange."

Asked if his remarks could be interpreted as trying to talk down the stock of the two companies, which have been plummeting recently, he said: "I've been short Fannie Mae since I came here three years ago or four years ago. This is bad for America, who cares if I make some money...I'm short lots of banks."

Letting the two fail would throw the country in recession but would ensure that the system is cleansed, he added. "It would cause problems in the economy but we've got problems in the economy anyway."

Rogers said he was not investing in oil currently because the price was too high, but that new reserves have to be discovered quickly for the prices to come down.

He also said he was investing in airlines, whose stocks have recently been hammered by fears the fuel price would cut into their profits.

"I am buying airlines. If you fly a lot, you'll see that you can't get a seat, the rates are going higher. The capacity is going down and the demand is still there," Rogers said.

SIA?

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

More millionaire and billionaires fighting with him for the seats :)
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to S to T