Starhub

Re: Starhub

Postby kennynah » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:32 pm

really...unless starhub strategically think of a way to move her business out of singapore.... how compelling is their business model?

i think if at all, starhub is to take on another investor...it will be more a political move...say between singapore and malaysia/indonesia/whichever country.... and then a quid pro quo arrangement where temasek will then take a stake in that investing country's telco/s...

in other words....starhub and M1 will be pawns to their political masters gameplan...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I have a Starhub 8mbs broadband line that costs me $45/month with the contract expiring Jan next year.

I also have Starhub setup box for cable TV which comes with a free 1mbs line.

I have been testing this 1mbs line for the last 4 days on daily surfing, videos from youtube etc...

NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE!!!

Wah piu!!! Going to cancel the 8mbs line next Jan.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Aspellian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm

millionairemind wrote:I have a Starhub 8mbs broadband line that costs me $45/month with the contract expiring Jan next year.

I also have Starhub setup box for cable TV which comes with a free 1mbs line.

I have been testing this 1mbs line for the last 4 days on daily surfing, videos from youtube etc...

NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE!!!

Wah piu!!! Going to cancel the 8mbs line next Jan.

wow!! is it?? i tot got difference lei. ganna con by Starhub - i will switch to 1mbs in the near future!
so starhub does have a good biz model to earn $ by creating the perception of different value products using same platform!! hahaha!! :D

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby memphisb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Been watching SH for last couple of months.

Hope this help my bros here. U need lots of patience with it.

Support at 2.03, 2.09 and 2.14.
1000 book challenge. 13 down, 987 to go. Huatopedia has become my loses support group. Recent: Anthony Bolton, Investing against the Tide. Current Jim Rogers, A Bull In China.
memphisb
Coolie

Postby millionairemind » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:46 am

From experience between my friend who has the free mio tel line and myself, the starhub digital voice offers better phone line quality.

Published August 25, 2009

200,000 users for StarHub's home line service

THE customer base for StarHub's home phone line service, Digital Voice, has hit 200,000, doubling in the span of 10 months.

StarHub offered Digital Voice as a free value-added service to StarHub TV customers 10 months ago, while MaxOnline customers have been enjoying the service free-of-charge since 2005.

Digital Voice is delivered through StarHub's broadband cable network, resulting in cost-savings.

'Our customers see great value of our Digital Voice service especially when the charges for home fixed-line service offered by the incumbent has increased significantly. With no monthly subscription fees and free local voice charges using StarHub's Digital Voice, StarHub TV or MaxOnline, customers have saved at least $100 a year,' said Ong Bee Lian, StarHub's vice-president of home solutions.

Customers are able to port in their current home phone number or get a brand new Digital Voice number. They can also retain this phone number for life.

'We will introduce more innovative bundled offerings in the coming months,' added Ms Ong.

To sign up, StarHub TV or MaxOnline customers can call the subscription sales hotline at 1630, sign up online or visit any StarHub shop.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 am

Singapore Hot Stocks-Starhub falls on SingTel's soccer win

Shares of Singapore telecom and cable TV provider Starhub fell as much as 7 percent after rival SingTel clinched the rights to broadcast English Premier League football in the city-state.

Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel), Southeast Asia's largest telco, said earlier on Thursday it had won the bid to show live English football games for three seasons starting August next year.

SingTel did not say how much the rights cost, but analysts estimate the figure would be much higher than the S$250 million ($177.6 million) Starhub paid in 2007 for the right to screen English Premier League football for three seasons.

( Wah ... Sin$250m for 3 seasons ? Can make money or not ? )

Source: Kevin Lim, Reuters
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:02 am

starhub has repeatedly said in public media that it has no plans to be even a regional player...with a country's population of a mere 5 million.... please...how much money can they ever hope to profit from such a small target size?

imo, this is likely a stock that has very little ability to substantially reward it's shareholders....

and the 2 major shareholders, namely British Tel and NTT Comms, have over the years diluted their shareholding to now a very small percentage holding.... they did so, the moment, their contractual obligation to hold on to their shareholding expired... that should say a lot about their confidence about their investments...

and so, we should also take heed...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:10 am

RESEARCH ALERT-Nomura downgrades Singapore's Starhub

SINGAPORE, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Nomura downgraded its recomendation on Singapore's second largest telecommunication company, StarHub , to "reduce" from "neutral" after the firm lost its right to two popular sports TV channels.

Nomura also cuts its target price of the Starhub's shares to S$1.82 each ($1.29) from S$2.35 previously.

Source: Harry Suhartono, Reuters
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 am

Conspiracy theory
Main characters
- Mr Sing-A-Long wearing :oops: t-shirt
- Mr Stars-In-The-Sky wearing :mrgreen: t-shirt
- Ms Marketing from a certain news corp speaking the "truth"
Mr Sing-A-Long and Mr Stars-In-The-Sky met in a kopitiam 5 years ago to discuss how to earn more money together. They concur that its an oligopoly and if they can "fix" things and events, there will still be deemd free trade and transparancy. So they agree that StarsInTheSky will build up its branding. let consumers be addicted to their products. slowly, they will let SingALONG to come in picture - introduce a new street drug which is complimentary to StarsINSKY.

Together, they can earn more money - consumers will be blur-coxk to know what hit them. The addicts will get super-high from over-dosage of the TV boxes that just pay and pay and pay to fuel their addicts!
Fast forward 5 years to know - the grand plan is unfolding as planned. Perfect to the dot. Media starts reporting that it will be a norm for households to have 2 set-up boxes in their homes - hey! who told the reporter to say that???

Average addict will start to think that since Mr Media-Mental-Corps has assured all addicts that its safe to consume two potent drugs concurrently, the resistance will be weak... Mr Sing-A-Long and Stars-In-Sky just need to take short term hits to their bottomline and they can milk the cows like no body biz!!

Its important who you partner to have the best media coverage - daily dosage of tv news and papers. the REAL advertisements are in the fine-prints you read every day - not the pictures pictures!! haha!! ;)

An Addict's Analysis
- Star's branding has been strong in last 5 - 10 years. EPL is an addon to basic group. but spore's population is now hooked to the basic group (at least for me - i love the CNBC, Bloomberg, History Channel, NGC, Discovery etc).

- SIng first get the Champions League. soccer fans will think they can live without that. But now Singtel has won the EPL rights. A consumer mind will think, "now i subscribe to Sing, i will not only get my EPL dosage but i can get to watch Champions league AGAIN!. sounds like a good deal!"

- but as people are hooked to starhub, higher probablity they will still keep starhub basic - for the family mah! and sign up singtel for soccer.

- will star lose ALOT of customers? i dun think so.
- will profits drop alot because no EPL? i will think the EPL's business margins are not high as they bid high to get the broadcast rights compared to basic group etc. probably Star net margin will increase even though revenue will drop.

- more people will take up singtel with 2 set up boxes at home.
- consumers will pay more - to sing to get the basic group + soccer (assuming same price)

- So for all you know, it could be a "friendly sharing" between Mr Starsinthesky and Mr Singalong on the transfer of soccer broadcast rights. So very wayang! haha!! :lol:
- ultimately you want to milk more from consumers.
- higher revenue and profits also mean more taxes.
- everyone at the TOP level of spore benefits!

PS: Yes i am a soccer fan who likes investing and loves conspiracy theories!

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby winston » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:01 am

STARHUB - DBS Vickers Securities downgraded its recommendation on StarHub, Singapore's second largest telecommunication company, to "hold" from "buy" after the company lost its English Premier League rights to SingTel against the brokerage's expectations of retaining or sharing the rights.

Source: Reuters
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to S to T