Marco Polo Marine

Marco Polo Marine

Postby iam802 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Not vested yet. Watching it

Listed last year Nov 2007, its trading volume has increased dramatically since April this year.

Quick overview:
- Marco Polo Marine Ltd. is involved in ship building, ship chartering and shipyard businesses.
- Building shipyard in Batam; expected operation 3Q this year
- expanded fleet of ships it owns to 31 (IIRC)
- recently announce record profit

EDIT: Added Financial Ratios (screencap from Google)
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Re: Marco Polo Marine

Postby iam802 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:13 pm

(vested).

Marco Polo Marine to build and procure the supply of eight more vessels for its 50%- owned joint venture, MPST Marine, at an aggregate contract value of about S$25.8 million

http://info.sgx.com/webcorannc.nsf/ef3b ... enDocument

iam802
Big Boss

Postby la papillion » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi iam802,

Just wondering...what makes you invest in this company when there are so many others with a longer history of operation in similar business but with a larger market (I assume that marco is operating between indonesian and singapore waters only)? It's pretty new player I supposed.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby iam802 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:31 pm

I am not strong with fundamental analysis here.

So, your question too tough for me to answer.

I am using TA on Marco Polo. The financial ratios are just there for me to glance through and know that it has some growth.

It has form what seems like a strong base at around $0.39.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby la papillion » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm

iam802 wrote:I am not strong with fundamental analysis here.

So, your question too tough for me to answer.

I am using TA on Marco Polo. The financial ratios are just there for me to glance through and know that it has some growth.

It has form what seems like a strong base at around $0.39.

Haha, I see, no problem with that :)

In my opinion, the history is a little to short to determine much. Weekly looks a little toppish though. The chart isn't that nice, if you ask me, as there is potential to go lower. If I'm trading this, I'll get in at support of 0.365 (also coincides with the lower boundary of the bollinger band). Then again, volume is too low to say if the support is even valid. This is evidenced when there is no apparent resistance to the movement as the price breaks through 0.365 around end of march/beginning of April.

So maybe it's range trading between 0.415 to 0.385 (forming a base), before going down or going up. The direction after the base is formed is not determined as yet, though I think it has a downside bias.

Either way, I wish you good luck and may the winds favour your sails :P
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return - Benjamin Graham
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby iam802 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks.

I learn something new again.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 am

High volume for MPM today.

Only 11am and volume already hit 1.3m , almost same as yesterday's volume.

iam802
Big Boss

Postby la papillion » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:45 am

iam802 wrote:High volume for MPM today.

Only 11am and volume already hit 1.3m , almost same as yesterday's volume.

I noticed that too :)
la papillion
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby millionairemind » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 am

Published February 14, 2009

Marco Polo Q1 net profit slips 18% to $1.3m

By VINCENT WEE
MARCO Polo Marine has posted an 18 per cent drop in net profit for the first quarter ended Dec 31, 2008 to $1.3 million from $1.6 million for the year-ago period.

The group, however, saw revenue rise 31 per cent to $9 million from $6.8 million as takings grew in both its key business segments.

Ship chartering revenue rose 22.7 per cent to $5.5 million mainly due to increased fleet size while shipbuilding revenue increased 46.1 per cent to $3.5 million as more third-parties' shipbuilding projects were recognised in the quarter compared with the previous corresponding quarter.

Gross profit margin rose to 32.9 per cent from 31.7 per cent previously due to better gains from the ship chartering operations as efficiency improved in the deployment of Marco Polo's fleet.

Other operating income fell to $147,000 from $948,000 as there was an $801,000 gain recognised for the disposal of two vessels in the comparative quarter.

Total operating expenses increased by 22 per cent to $1.4 million for Q109, mainly due to an 11 per cent increase to $845,000 in administrative expenses with increased manpower costs and a 41 per cent rise in other operating expenses due to higher depreciation and maintenance charges for the expanded facilities at the Batam yard.

The group's net asset value per share increased to 20 cents from 19.5 cents as at Sept 30, 2008. Cash and cash equivalents fell to $212,000 from $11.5 million.

CEO Sean Lee said that while the current global economic turmoil and continued credit crunch may pose a challenge, the company is 'poised to weather the downturn'.

'We will continue to adopt a vigilant approach in managing our costs and cashflows with a view to improve efficiency and productivity and a measured approach in carrying out our expansion plan.'
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby millionairemind » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 pm

March 29, 2010, 1.55 pm (Singapore time)

Marco Polo Marine sells 8 vessels in sale and leaseback

By ANGELA TAN

SINGAPORE - Marco Polo Marine Ltd's subsidiary, Marco Polo Shipping Co Pte Ltd, has entered into several agreements to sell eight more Singapore-flagged tugs and barges on a sale-and-leaseback arrangement with a related party for about $8.8 million (US$6.3 million) in cash.

Following the sale, the vessels will be leased back to MP Shipping as Indonesian-flagged vessels.

The company said the move allows it to lower its gearing and improve cash flow.

It said the arrangement also allows the group to operate Indonesian-flagged vessels freely in Indonesian waters. The group can support customers' logistic requirements in Indonesia and seek business opportunities there as well as enjoy operational cost benefits accorded to such vessels which ply Indonesian waters.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Next

Return to L to R