Mary Chia

Mary Chia

Postby sidney » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:47 am

It has often be warned not to pursue stocks with no track records. But MAry chia had been around for 2 decades (i think). Therefore, in circumstances where IPO in catalist/mainB, do anaylst meant "no track records" as business startup or having no listing in stockmarkets at all?

Beauty chain industry i not very sure... is the brand name strong and appealing at the first place? I heard of MC, but it didn't came to me in the heart of mind, if i wanted to get beauty treatment.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Re: Mary Chia

Postby Musicwhiz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:49 am

Could it refer to no track record of continuous and sustained profitability and revenue growth? The Company may be around for 20 years, but the prospectus only gives information on their revenues and profits for the last 3 financial years (2006 till 2008).
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby sidney » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:57 am

Understandably, for startup no track records simply meant no trace records... For IPO listing, is there any rules whereby mininum no of years in operations must be disclosed? If only 3 years is disclosed, the profitablitiy trend may be distorted. Cos i feel personally, the last decade the no. of beauty chains flourish... I remember 8days, or i flip female maz like herworld, the advertz is quite competitive.

Will not be surprised if the profitablility trend is steadying downward sloping.

We now have Drake, MC, JeanY... Do bust treatment speciality stores count as competitors?
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby Musicwhiz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 pm

The idea is to list at the "peak" of the cycle, so as to get the maximum cash proceeds. As long as you can sell your story and the placement agents can help you promote, who cares who is the one eventually holding the baby (i.e. shares)? Haha...... :lol:
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby sidney » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Whoever the investment bankers, they certainly did timed correctly.
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Musicwhiz wrote:The idea is to list at the "peak" of the cycle, so as to get the maximum cash proceeds. As long as you can sell your story and the placement agents can help you promote, who cares who is the one eventually holding the baby (i.e. shares)? Haha...... :lol:

Probably will end up like Old Chang Kee.. almost no volume traded daily... until recently...
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Musicwhiz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:51 pm

For companies like OCK, as long as the business is run conservatively and there is a lot of FCF, investors can treat it more as a yield play rather than a growth story. But from my understanding, OCK is growing in China through their "Pie Kia" brand, as well as opening more stores in Singapore too.
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby iam802 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Musicwhiz wrote:For companies like OCK, as long as the business is run conservatively and there is a lot of FCF, investors can treat it more as a yield play rather than a growth story. But from my understanding, OCK is growing in China through their "Pie Kia" brand, as well as opening more stores in Singapore too.

"Pie Kia" as in bad guys?
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:55 pm

no lah..."Pie Kia" is a chain outlook specializing in selling pies.. there's an outlet at Tiong Bahru Plaza...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Musicwhiz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:56 pm

kennynah wrote:no lah..."Pie Kia" is a chain outlook specializing in selling pies.. there's an outlet at Tiong Bahru Plaza...

That's right. :lol: I haven't tried it myself. Prefer to stick to OCK for now.
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Next

Return to L to R