Life 33 (May 19 - Sep 19)

Re: Life 33 (May 19 - Dec 19)

Postby winston » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:36 am

Listening without effort

"You are now listening to me; you are not making an effort to pay attention, you are just listening; and if there is truth in what you hear, you will find a remarkable change taking place in you, a change that is not premeditated or wished for, a transformation, a complete revolution in which the truth alone is master and not the creations of your mind.

And if I may suggest it, you should listen in that way to everything not only to what I am saying, but also to what other people are saying, to the birds, to the whistle of a locomotive, to the noise of the bus going by.

You will find that the more you listen to everything, the greater is the silence, and that silence is then not broken by noise.

It is only when you are resisting something, when you are putting up a barrier between yourself and that to which you do not want to listen it is only then that there is a struggle."

– J. Krishnamurti
The Book of Life, January 6, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am

If you do not name that feeling

When you observe a feeling, that feeling comes to an end. But even though the feeling comes to an end, if there is an observer, a spectator, a censor, a thinker who remains apart from the feeling, then there is still a contradiction. So it is very important to understand how we look at a feeling.

Take, for instance, a very common feeling: jealousy. We all know what it is to be jealous. Now, how do you look at your jealousy?

When you look at that feeling, you are the observer of jealousy as something apart from yourself. You try to change jealousy, to modify it, or you try to explain why you are justified in being jealous, and so on and so forth.

So there is a being, a censor, an entity apart from jealousy who observes it. For the moment jealousy may disappear, but it comes back again; and it comes back because you do not really see that jealousy is part of you.

... What I am saying is that the moment you give a name, a label to that feeling, you have brought it into the framework of the old; and the old is the observer, the separate entity who is made up of words, of ideas, of opinions about what is right and what is wrong. ...

But if you don’t name that feeling—which demands tremendous awareness, a great deal of immediate understanding—then you will find that there is no observer, no thinker, no center from which you are judging, and that you are not different from the feeling. There is no “you” who feels it.

The Book of Life, May 10, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am

Why should we trust the Divine and only the Divine?

Seek spiritual knowledge which is the seat of sweetness. Get rid of the desire for sense-enjoyment, which like the pleasure you get while scratching itching eczema, only makes the complaint worse.

You cannot cure it by yielding to the temptation to scratch. The more you scratch, the more you are tempted to continue, until bleeding intervenes.

So desist from that vain pursuit and concentrate on spiritual matters, or at least, move in the world with the ever present consciousness that it is a morass, a net, a trap, into which attachment and desire will precipitate you.

Be a true devotee and become so small that you wriggle out of the shackles of the senses or be a true spiritual seeker and become so huge, that you escape by breaking the shackles.

- Divine Discourse, Dec 16, 1964.

Doubt is easy and faith is difficult.

Source: radiosai.org
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:41 am

Why should we invest time in transforming our heart?

One may study all the scriptures and text-books of spiritual practice, and may even lecture on them for hours; but they will slip into error when temptation confronts them.

Beware! Like land that is parched, the heart may appear to be free from any crop of evil; but when the first showers fall, the seeds and roots underneath the soil change the waste into a carpet of green.

It is an uphill but worthwhile task to reform one's tendencies and character. You may have the best of vegetables, you may be the most capable cook, but if the copper vessel in which you prepare the vegetable soup is not tinned, the delicacy you cook will be highly poisonous!

So ‘tin’ your heart with truth, right conduct, peace and divine love (satya, dharma, shanti and prema), thus transforming it into a vessel fit for repeating the holy name, meditation, religious vows, pilgrimage, ritualistic worship and the other dishes that you prepare in it.

- Divine Discourse, Jan 13, 1965.

Offer your heart to the Divine. Do not defile time, or this life's chance, by using them for paltry ends.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am

The fact is we are violent

We all see the importance of the cessation of violence. And how am I, as an individual, to be free of violence—not just superficially, but totally, completely, inwardly?

If the ideal of non-violence will not free the mind from violence, then will the analysis of the cause of violence help to dissolve violence?

After all, this is one of our major problems, is it not? The whole world is caught up in violence, in wars; the very structure of our acquisitive society is essentially violent.

And if you and I as individuals are to be free from violence—totally, inwardly free, not merely superficially or verbally—then how is one to set about it without becoming self-centered?

You understand the problem, do you not? If my concern is to free the mind from violence and I practice discipline in order to control violence and change it into non-violence, surely that brings about self-centered thought and activity, because my mind is focused all the time on getting rid of one thing and acquiring something else.

And yet I see the importance of the mind being totally free from violence. So what am I to do? Surely, it is not a question of how one is not to be violent. The fact is that we are violent, and to ask “How am I not to be violent?” merely creates the ideal, which seems to me to be utterly futile.

But if one is capable of looking at violence and understanding it, then perhaps there is a possibility of resolving it totally.

The Book of Life, June 28, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 am

What is it that we must never forget if we wish to remain blissful always?

You are subjected to hardships because you have forgotten the source of your origin.

Fish is born in water. It cannot survive even for a while without water. It is happy only when it is in water, where it originated.

What is the source of man? The Scriptures answered "The Eternal Atma (Inner Self) in all beings is a part of the Divine".

Thus, it is evident that every human is a spark of the Divine. Each one originated from the Divine. Having been born from the Atma, you should always contemplate on the Self.

You will become restless and face hardships if you forget the Atma. So never forget your origin.

Have faith in the Self; Respect and revere it; Let it be the basis of your life. This is the Dharma (duty) you should adhere to.

You may occupy any position of authority, have wealth and prosperity, but faith in the Self alone will protect you.

- Divine Discourse, Feb 22, 2001.

All are One, Be alike to everyone.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:14 am

How can we always be focused on the Divine?

A mother goes to the river to fetch water, leaving her infant in the cradle. On her way back, she may be conversing with other ladies while carrying a pot full of water on her head - but her mind will be constantly focused on her infant and she wants to get back home as quickly as possible, lest her child should wake up and start crying.

Likewise, your mind should always be focused on the Atma amidst all activities. Make that your goal.

While doing devotional singing, you may sing various songs in different tunes but your mind should be constantly fixed on the Divine!

"Even at war, It is your body and senses that are involved in the warfare. Such being the case, you can always focus the mind on the Divine.”

Perform all your actions with the sole purpose of pleasing the Divine.

The best spiritual discipline is to strengthen your inward vision.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 am

How do we end fear?

We are discussing something which needs your attention, not your agreement or disagreement.

We are looking at life most rigorously, objectively, clearly—not according to your sentiment, your fancy, what you like or don’t like. It’s what we like and don’t like that has created this misery.

All that we are saying is this: "How do we end fear?" That’s one of our great problems, because if a human being can’t end it, he lives in darkness everlastingly, not everlastingly in the Christian sense but in the ordinary sense; one life is good enough.

For me, as a human being, there must be a way out and not by creating a hope in some future. Can I as a human being end fear, totally; not little bits of it?

Probably you’ve never put this question to yourself, and probably you’ve not put the question because you don’t know how to get out of it.

But if you did put that question most seriously, with the intention of finding out not how to end it, but with the intention of finding out the nature and the structure of fear, the moment you have found out, fear itself comes to an end; you don’t have to do anything about it.

... When we are aware of it and come into contact with it directly, the observer is the observed.

There is no difference between the observer and the thing observed. When fear is observed without the observer, there is action, but not the action of the observer acting upon fear.

The Book of Life, August 14, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:04 am

Why is purity in speech so important?

Speak softly and sweetly, and cultivate a good mind. Only then, will you earn the respect of others.

You cannot always oblige but you can always speak obligingly.

Do not listen to evil talk.

Society will not respect those who indulge in evil talk and listen to evil. So, you should always speak and listen to good words.

If you happen to hear something evil, do not share it with others. What is the purpose in causing unrest to others by telling them something, which has caused unrest to you.

Today, there are people who not only lend their ear to evil talk but also spread the same to the rest of society, causing a great deal of unrest.

Let your tongue utter such words, which will give joy to others.

Control of the senses and observance of the accepted code of discipline are the hallmarks of a cultured human.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 am

Violence

What takes place when you give complete attention to the thing that we call violence?—violence being not only what separates human beings, through belief, conditioning, and so on, but also what comes into being when we are seeking personal security, or the security of individuality through a pattern of society.

Can you look at that violence with complete attention? And when you look at that violence with complete attention, what takes place?

When you give complete attention to anything—your learning of history or mathematics, looking at your wife or your husband—what takes place?

I do not know if you have gone into it—probably most of us have never given complete attention to anything—but when you do, what takes place?

Sirs, what is attention? Surely when you are giving complete attention there is care, and you cannot care if you have no affection, no love. And when you give attention in which there is love, is there violence? You are following?

Formally, I have condemned violence, I have escaped from it, I have justified it, I have said it is natural. All these things are inattention.

But when I give attention to what I have called violence—and in that attention there is care, affection, love—where is there space for violence?

The Book of Life, June 22, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives