Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Postby winston » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:44 am

Fear is non-acceptance of what is

Fear finds various escapes. The common variety is identification, is it not?—identification with country, with society, with an idea.

Haven’t you noticed how you respond when you see a procession, a military procession or a religious procession, or when the country is in danger of being invaded? You then identify yourself with the country, with a being, with an ideology.

There are other times when you identify yourself with your child, with your wife, with a particular form of action, or inaction.

Identification is a process of self-forgetfulness. So long as I am conscious of the “me” I know there is pain, there is struggle, there is constant fear. But if I can identify myself with something greater, with something worthwhile, with beauty, with life, with truth, with belief, with knowledge, at least temporarily, there is an escape from the “me,” is there not?

If I talk about “my country” I forget myself temporarily, do I not? If I can say something about God, I forget myself. If I can identify myself with my family, with a group, with a particular party, with a certain ideology, then there is a temporary escape.

Do we now know what fear is? Is it not the non-acceptance of what is? We must understand the word acceptance. I am not using that word as meaning the effort made to accept.

There is no question of accepting when I perceive what is. When I do not see clearly what is, then I bring in the process of acceptance. Therefore fear is the non-acceptance of what is.

The Book of Life, March 28, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Life 31 (Oct 18 - Feb 19)

Postby winston » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 am

What is the one bad quality we all should labour to get rid of?

Jealousy manifests itself in many forms, including the form of finding fault even in the Divine.

People are jealous if someone earned a better name than themselves. Some are jealous of those who are more good looking than themselves. Students envy others who secure more marks in the examination.

A jealous person cannot bear to see the other person who is better placed, more beautiful or more prosperous. This is a sign of human weakness.

Once jealousy takes root in your mind, in due course, it will destroy all your other achievements.

It promotes demonic qualities, dehumanises an individual and reduces one to the condition of an animal. Because of its egregious evil tendency, jealousy should be rooted out from the very beginning.

You must learn to enjoy another's prosperity and happiness. This is a great virtue.

- Divine Discourse, Sep 6, 1984.

To resurrect love and compassion, you must kill jealousy and selfishness and purify your heart.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 am

Goodness has no motive

If I have a motive to be good, does that bring about goodness? Or is goodness something entirely devoid of this urge to be good, which is ever based on a motive?

Is good the opposite of bad, the opposite of evil? Every opposite contains the seed of its own opposite, does it not?

There is greed, and there is the ideal of non-greed. When the mind pursues non-greed, when it tries to be non-greedy, it is still greedy because it wants to be something.

Greed implies desiring, acquiring, expanding; and when the mind sees that it does not pay to be greedy, it wants to be non-greedy, so the motive is still the same, which is to be or to acquire something.

When the mind wants not to want, the root of want, of desire, is still there. So goodness is not the opposite of evil; it is a totally different state. And what is that state?

Obviously, goodness has no motive because all motive is based on the self; it is the egocentric movement of the mind. So what do we mean by goodness?

Surely, there is goodness only when there is total attention. Attention has no motive. When there is a motive for attention, is there attention?

If I pay attention in order to acquire something, the acquisition, whether it be good or bad, is not attention it is a distraction. A division.

There can be goodness only when there is a totality of attention in which there is no effort to be or not to be.

The Book of Life, February 25, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 am

What is the one disease in us we must strive to rid ourselves of, and how do we do it?

If there is a boil on the body, we apply some ointment on it and cover it with a bandage until it completely heals.

If you do not apply the ointment and tie the bandage around this boil, it is likely to become septic and cause great harm later on.

Now and then, we will have to clean it with pure water, apply the ointment again, and put on a new bandage.

In the same way, in our life too there is this boil which has erupted in our body in the form of this feeling, 'I, I, I'. If you want to really cure this boil of this 'I', you must wash it every day with the waters of love, apply the ointment of faith on it and tie the bandage of humility around it.

The bandage of humility, the ointment of faith, and the waters of love will be able to cure this disease that has erupted with this boil of 'I'.

- Divine Discourse, Feb 17, 1985.

Pure Love is selfless-ness and selfishness is loveless-ness.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 am

What is bliss that is worth craving for and how can we attain it?

There is hardly anyone who is free from the vice of jealousy.

Jealousy may arise even over very trivial matters and this leads to hatred. To get rid of hatred one must constantly practise love.

Where there is love, there will be no room for jealousy and hatred, and where there is no jealousy and hatred, there is Ananda (real joy).

This joy reveals itself in Beauty. "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." But what is this beauty? Is the world beautiful? Are materials and objects beautiful? These are temporary and their beauty too can only be temporary.

Only the Dikvine is permanent, so He alone can be said to be beautiful.

The devotee's primary duty is to seek the nectar of bliss that is to be got from the contemplation of the beauty of the Divine.

The means of experiencing such joy is to cultivate good qualities and get rid of bad traits.

- Divine Discourse, Sep 6, 1984.

To resurrect love and compassion, you must kill jealousy and selfishness and purify your heart.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 am

The pattern of an idea

If you say, “How am I to save energy?” then you have created a pattern of an idea—how to save it—and then conduct your life according to that pattern; therefore, there begins again a contradiction.

Whereas if you perceive for yourself where your energies are being wasted, you will see that the principal force causing the waste is conflict—which is having a problem and never resolving it, living with a deadly memory of something gone, living in tradition.

One has to understand the nature of the dissipation of energy, and the understanding of the dissipation of energy is not according to Shankara, Buddha or some saint, but the actual observation of one’s daily conflict in life.

So the principal waste of energy is conflict—which doesn’t mean that you sit back and be lazy. Conflict will always exist as long as the idea is more important than the fact.

The Book of Life, June 3, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Thinking without the thinker

The monkey in the tree feels hungry, and then the urge arises to take a fruit or a nut.

Action comes first, and then the idea that you had better store it up. To put it in different words, does action come first, or the actor?

Is there an actor without action? Do you understand? This is what we are always asking ourselves: Who is it that sees? Who is the watcher? Is the thinker apart from his thoughts, the observer apart from the observed, the experiencer apart from the experience, the actor apart from the action?...

But if you really examine the process, very carefully, closely and intelligently, you will see that there is always action first, and that action with an end in view, creates the actor. Do you follow?

If action has an end in view, the gaining of that end, brings about the actor.

If you think very clearly and without prejudice, without conformity, without trying to convince somebody, without an end in view, in that very thinking there is no thinker—there is only the thinking.

It is only when you seek an end in your thinking, that you become important, and not thought.

Perhaps some of you have observed this. It is really an important thing to find out, because from that we shall know how to act.

If the thinker comes first, then the thinker is more important than thought, and all the philosophies, customs and activities of the present civilization are based on this assumption; but if thought comes first then thought is more important than the thinker.

The Book of Life, September 13, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:29 pm

What will be the benefit we must experience, as a result of our spiritual practices?

The peace or distraction, calm or anxiety that you experience today, is the product of your own thoughts and deeds, and your attitude or behaviour towards yourself and others.

Many take up the process of regular meditation on the name and form of the Divine and are able to quieten the agitations of the heart and open the way to inner realisation.

Meditation should not be wavering from one ideal to another; nor should it be reduced to a mere mechanical textbook formula, or a rigid time-table of breathing or meaningless staring at the tip of the nose!

It is a rigorous discipline of the senses, the nervous current, and the wings of imagination. That is why it is aptly said, Meditation is the valley of peace, that lies on the other side of a huge mountain range of peaks called the six foes - lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride and envy.

You must climb over the range and reach the valley beyond.

- Divine Discourse, Jun 9, 1970.

When you think, speak and do good, you will naturally experience peace.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 am

How do we understand the nature of the Inner-Self within and find fulfillment in life?

In our daily experiences, there are a number of instances which reveal the existence of Divinity in every person.

Consider a cinema; on the screen we see rivers in flood engulfing all the surrounding land. Even though the scene is filled with flood waters the screen does not get wet by even a drop of water.

At another time, on the same screen we see volcanoes erupting with tongues of flame, but the screen is not burnt.

The screen which provides the basis for all these pictures is not affected by any of them.

Likewise in the life of man, good or bad, joy or sorrow, birth or death, come and go, but they do not affect the Inner-Self.

In the cinema of life, the screen is the Inner Self - it is Divinity.

When one understands this principle, one will be able to understand, enjoy and find fulfilment in life!

- Divine Discourse, Feb 17, 1985.

Have no desires to place before the Divine, for, whatever He does with you, however He treats you, is the gift He likes best to give you!

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am

You and nothingness are one

You are nothing. You may have your name and title, your property and bank account, you may have power and be famous; but in spite of all these safeguards, you are as nothing.

You may be totally unaware of this emptiness, this nothingness, or you may simply not want to be aware of it; but it is there, do what you will to avoid it.

You may try to escape from it in devious ways, through personal or collective violence, through individual or collective worship, through knowledge or amusement; but whether you are asleep or awake, it is always there.

You can come upon your relationship to this nothingness and its fear only by being choicelessly aware of the escapes.

You are not related to it as a separate, individual entity; you are not the observer watching it; without you, the thinker, the observer, it is not.

You and nothingness are one; you and nothingness are a joint phenomenon, not two separate processes.

If you, the thinker, are afraid of it and approach it as something contrary and opposed to you, then any action you may take towards it must inevitably lead to illusion and so to further conflict and misery.

When there is the discovery, the experiencing of that nothingness as you, then fear—which exists only when the thinker is separate from his thoughts and so tries to establish a relationship with them—completely drops away.

The Book of Life, August 13, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Next

Return to Archives