Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Re: Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Postby winston » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:55 pm

What should we offer to the Divine today?

You may ride in a smart car of your own but you are entrusting daily, without a second thought, the car, yourself and your family to the skill and presence of your chauffeur’s mind.

However, when advised to entrust your affairs to the Divine, you hesitate and decline to surrender to the divine Power because of the power of illusion.

By all means, be concerned about success or failure in achieving the real purpose of your life. Yearn, yearn, yearn hard, and success is yours.

Remember, you will definitely win; that is why you heard the inner call and responded to it by going to the Divine. What other task have the divine has than to the showering of grace?

Treat the Divine not as one afar but as very close to you. Insist, demand, claim grace from the Divine; do not praise, extol, and cringe.

Bring your hearts to Him and win His Heart. Not one of you is a stranger. Bring your promises and He shall give you His promise. But first see that your promise is genuine and sincere, and if your heart is pure; that is enough.

- Divine Discourse, Oct 10, 1961.

Pure, unselfish Love is the solvent for the hardest of hearts.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Is religion a matter of belief?

Religion as we generally know it or acknowledge it, is a series of beliefs, of dogmas, of rituals, of superstitions, of worship of idols, of charms and gurus that will lead you to what you want as an ultimate goal.

The ultimate truth is your projection, that is what you want, which will make you happy, which will give a certainty of the deathless state. So, the mind caught in all this creates a religion, a religion of dogmas, of priest-craft, of superstitions and idol-worship—and in that, you are caught, and the mind stagnates.

Is that religion? Is religion a matter of belief, a matter of knowledge of other people’s experiences and assertions? Or is religion merely the following of morality? You know it is comparatively easy to be moral—to do this and not to do that. Because it is easy, you can imitate a moral system. Behind that morality, lurks the self, growing, expanding, aggressive, dominating. But is that religion?

You have to find out what truth is because that is the only thing that matters, not whether you are rich or poor, not whether you are happily married and have children, because they all come to an end, there is always death.

So, without any form of belief, you must find out; you must have the vigor, the self-reliance, the initiative, so that for yourself you know what truth is, what God is.

Belief will not give you anything; belief only corrupts, binds, darkens. The mind can only be free through vigor, through self-reliance.

The Book of Life, December 12, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am

Can happiness be found through anything?

We seek happiness through things, through relationship, through thoughts, ideas. So things, relationship, and ideas become all-important and not happiness.

When we seek happiness through something, then the thing becomes of greater value than happiness itself.

When stated in this manner, the problem sounds simple and it is simple. We seek happiness in property, in family, in name; then property, family, idea become all-important, for then happiness is sought through a means, and then the means destroys the end.

Can happiness be found through any means, through anything made by the hand or by the mind? Things, relationship, and ideas are so transparently impermanent, we are ever made unhappy by them...

Things are impermanent, they wear out and are lost; relationship is constant friction and death awaits; ideas and beliefs have no stability, no permanency. We seek happiness in them and yet do not realize their impermanency. So sorrow becomes our constant companion and overcoming it our problem.

To find out the true meaning of happiness, we must explore the river of self-knowledge. Self-knowledge is not an end in itself.

Is there a source to a stream? Every drop of water from the beginning to the end makes the river. To imagine that we will find happiness at the source is to be mistaken. It is to be found where you are on the river of self-knowledge.

The Book of Life, July 5 Harper San Francisco, 1994

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 am

Why is it important to watch the food we eat, when we have taken to the spiritual path?

In one of the jails, there was once a very pure soul devoted to spiritual ideals who was carefully practising spiritual discipline. He had advanced very far in meditation and concentration.

However, one day when he sat for meditation, he felt very savage emotions surging up in him and was shocked to find that he could not, in spite of tremendous struggle, suppress the hateful and murderous thoughts that took hold of him.

He was rocked in agony, and his guru was also upset at the turn of events. The guru probed into the history of the disciple rather deeply but could not find any valid reason for the tragedy.

At last, he found that a certain fanatic murderer had acted as the cook in the jail kitchen the day previous to the calamity, and his hateful thoughts had pervaded the food he cooked. Subtle invisible thought-forms can pass from one person to another by such means.

- Divine Discourse, Oct 10, 1961.

Your life must be based on the principle of surrender to the Divine.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:03 pm

At times when we falter, when we feel our prayers are not answered, how can we hold on?

Do not yield to despair. Even the infant lotus buds bloom in their own good time.

By the cumulative effect of the good done in many previous births, you have secured this fortune; you do not know how much you have gone through.

And, whether you know or not, the Divine shall certainly satisfy all your needs. You must take in the medicine that he gives and also follow the diet he prescribes and avoid the things he prohibit.

Take the Form you like and meditate upon it, take the Name you love and repeat it, then no evil thought will arise.

Wicked thoughts will flee. When they have fled, what remains is the Embodiment of the Inner Self.

Lead your lives according to His Teachings, without the slightest modification.

First have faith, then the experience is granted. You worship with faith and you will experience Grace. Faith results in Grace without your being aware of it.

- Divine Discourse, Oct 25, 1961.

Every living being in this world is knowingly or unknowingly on a spiritual pilgrimage.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:06 pm

The art of listening is the art of release

Somebody is telling you something, you listen. The very act of listening is the act of release. When you see the fact, the very perception of that fact, is the release of that fact.

The very listening, the very seeing of something as a fact, has an extraordinary effect without the effort of thought.

... Let us take one thing—say ambition. We have gone sufficiently into what it does, what its effects are.

A mind that is ambitious can never know what it is to sympathize, to have pity, to love. An ambitious mind is a cruel mind—whether spiritually or outwardly or inwardly.

You have heard it. You hear it; when you hear that, you translate it and say, “How can I live in this world which is built on ambition?” Therefore, you have not listened. You have responded, you have reacted to a statement, to a fact; therefore, you are not looking at the fact.

You are merely translating the fact or giving an opinion about the fact or responding to the fact; therefore, you are not looking at the fact. ...

If one listens—in the sense without any evaluation, reaction, judgment—surely then, the fact creates that energy which destroys, wipes away, sweeps away ambition which creates conflict.

The Book of Life, June 7, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:19 am

How can we overcome pain, grief and suffering?

You get the human body through the karma of the past; you get the ‘type of character’ according to the tendencies cultivated in the past.

Do not delude yourself that you are the body or be fascinated into an attachment for it. But it is your task to guard it from harm and keep it in good trim. For, isn’t it with your body that you are imbibing the exhilaration of the bliss of the Divine, the Majesty of the Lord?

Therefore, do not deride the body or treat it with contempt. That equipment is intended for your journey towards the Divine; it is His chariot; do not neglect or keep it in disrepair.

Do not lament, “Oh, this is my fate, my own past punishing me, I must suffer, I cannot escape it.” People get disheartened thus.

If karma is so inescapable, what is the use of prayer, of remembering the Divine’s name, of meditation, or of the ritual of worship?

Have faith, persist and win the grace of the Divine and all the accumulated burden will be burnt into ashes in a moment!

- Divine Discourse, Oct 25, 1961.

When you earn the grace of the Divine, even mountains of sin will be reduced to dust.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 am

Thinking begets effort

“How can I remain free from evil thoughts, evil and wayward thoughts?”. Is there the thinker, the one apart from thought, apart from the evil, wayward thoughts?. Please watch your own mind.

We say, “There is the I, the me that says, 'This is a wayward thought,' 'This is bad,' 'I must control this thought,' 'I must keep to this thought.' " That is what we know.

Is the one, the I, the thinker, the judger, the one that judges, the censor, different from all this? Is the I different from thought, different from envy, different from evil?

The I which says that it is different from this evil is everlastingly trying to overcome me, trying to push me away, trying to become something. So you have this struggle, the effort to put away thoughts, not to be wayward.

We have, in the very process of thinking, created this problem of effort. Do you follow? Then you give birth to discipline, controlling thought—the I controlling the thought which is not good, the I which is trying to become non-envious, non-violent, to be this and to be that.

So you have brought into being the very process of effort when there is the I and the thing which it is controlling. That is the actual fact of our everyday existence.

The Book of Life, February 28, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:07 am

What is responsible for the troubles we generally face?

For all our troubles and difficulties, our conduct alone is responsible.

If our actions are good the results will be good. Bad actions will lead to bad consequences.

People think that good and bad are related to bad time. Not at all! Your thoughts alone are the root-cause. Hence, you should develop good thoughts and do good deeds.

You should cherish good feelings and associate with good persons. Every one of you must also realise the preciousness of time.

Today, most of you waste a lot of your available time. This is utterly wrong. Time should be used always for the right purposes. That is the foremost duty of every individual.

Waste of time is a waste of life. The Lord of time protects those who take refuge in Him, even against the Lord of Death.

In fact, the nation's prosperity is dependent on how people make use of their time in the performance of good actions!

- Divine Discourse, Apr 7, 1997.

Do not waste time in idle gossip; talk as little as possible, talk softly and sweetly.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:12 am

Freedom from occupation

Can the mind be free from the past, free from thought—not from the good or bad thought?

How do I find out? I can only find out by seeing what the mind is occupied with.

If my mind is occupied with the good or occupied with the bad, then it is only concerned with the past, it is occupied with the past. It is not free of the past.

So, what is important is to find out how the mind is occupied. If it is occupied at all, it is always occupied with the past because all our consciousness is the past. The past is not only on the surface but on the highest level, and the stress on the unconscious is also the past...

Can the mind be free from occupation? This means—can the mind be completely without being occupied and let memory, the thoughts good and bad, go by without choosing?

The moment the mind is occupied with one thought, good or bad, then it is concerned with the past. ... If you really listen—not just merely verbally, but really profoundly—then you will see that there is stability which is not of the mind, which is the freedom from the past.

Yet, the past can never be put aside. There is a watching of the past as it goes by, but not occupation with the past. So the mind is free to observe and not to choose.

Where there is choice in this movement of the river of memory, there is occupation; and the moment the mind is occupied, it is caught in the past; and when the mind is occupied with the past, it is incapable of seeing something real, true, new, original, uncontaminated.

The Book of Life, February 27, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives