Life 30 (Jun 18 - Oct 18)

Re: Life 30 (Jun 18 - Nov 18)

Postby winston » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:33 pm

When we face reverses in life, does it mean that the Divine is angry with us?

Some people when faced with difficulties think that the Divine is punishing them. It is a mistake to think so.

The Divine never punishes anybody. It is only the king who gives punishment, not the Divine.

The Divine is love; He always gives only love. The punishment you suffer is the result of your own actions.

The Divine neither punishes you nor protects you. You are punished by your own sins and protected by your own good deeds.

You may utilise light for writing inappropriate accounts or for reading the holy scriptures. But light is not affected by what you do.

Similarly, the Divine is the eternal witness. He is like the light, unaffected by your actions, good or bad. Be it pleasant or unpleasant, you have to face the consequences of your actions.

So, do not indulge in bad actions. Always do good, be good, and see good. This is the way to the Divine.

Do not say, “I will try”; you must do it.

- Divine Discourse, Apr 14, 1999.

Sathya Sai Baba

The touchstone for virtue in a person is his keenness to give up, to sacrifice, and to develop detachment.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 am

Craving is always craving

To avoid suffering, we cultivate detachment. Being forewarned that attachment sooner or later entails sorrow, we want to become detached.

Attachment is gratifying, but perceiving the pain in it, we want to be gratified in another manner, through detachment.

Detachment is the same as attachment as long as it yields gratification. So what we are really seeking is gratification, we crave to be satisfied by whatever means.

We are dependent or attached because it gives us pleasure, security, power, a sense of wellbeing, though in it there is sorrow and fear.

We seek detachment also for pleasure, in order not to be hurt, not to be inwardly wounded. Our search is for pleasure, gratification.

Without condemning or justifying, we must try to understand this process, for unless we understand it there is no way out of our confusion and contradiction.

Can craving ever be satisfied, or is it a bottomless pit? Whether we crave for the low or for the high, craving is always craving, a burning fire, and what can be consumed by it soon becomes ashes;

But craving for gratification still remains, ever burning, ever consuming, and there is no end to it.

Attachment and detachment are equally binding, and both must be transcended.

The Book of Life, March 13, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: Jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:19 pm

What is the prerequisite to lead a happy life?

Man always craves for bliss.

The first requisite for achieving Supreme Bliss is a pure heart. One’s heart, which should be white and pure like milk, is today filled with bad thoughts and feelings.

Spiritual exercises begin with the purification of the heart and then transforming it into an ocean of milk.

When the heart is filled with pure qualities, it becomes like a milky ocean. Only then does it become a worthy dwelling for the Divine, whose abode is described as the Ocean of Milk.

But by yielding to dull and aggressive impulses, people today have turned their heart into a salty ocean. In the salty ocean, we have sharks and whales.

Likewise, in the heart of the evil-minded, bad qualities like lust, anger, greed and envy flourish. It is a folly to give room to such evil forces. They must be removed totally so that the Divine may find His rightful place in a heart, that is pure and holy.

- Divine Discourse, May 3, 1987.

To achieve anything in life, two qualities are very essential: firm faith and pure love.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:10 am

Freedom from conditioning

The desire to free oneself from conditioning, only furthers conditioning.

But if, instead of trying to suppress desire, one understands the whole process of desire, in that very understanding there comes freedom from conditioning.

Freedom from conditioning is not a direct result. Do you understand?

If I set about deliberately to free myself from my conditioning, that desire creates its own conditioning.

I may destroy one form of conditioning, but I am caught in another. Whereas, if there is an understanding of desire itself, which includes the desire to be free, then that very understanding destroys all conditioning.

Freedom from conditioning is a by product; it is not important. The important thing is to understand what it is that creates conditioning.

The Book of Life, May 26, Harper San Francisco, 1995

source: Jkrishnamurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 am

At times, we feel dejected that we are unable to experience the Divine

Once a monk asked his Teacher whether he had seen the Divine. He replied, “Yes, I have seen Him. I have seen Him just as I am seeing you.”

“Then why I don’t see Him?” asked the monk. His Teacher replied, “You weep for your family, you suffer for your business and wealth, but do you ever weep or yearn for a vision of the Divine? Do that and you will certainly see Him!

All the time I am pining only for the vision of the Divine. Therefore, He is visible to me at all times in every human being.”

In this world, there is nothing easier than attaining Divinity. You face hardships and feel dejected because you do not understand this truth.

Instead of shedding tears for mundane things, why don’t you pine for the vision of the Divine? Don’t go anywhere in search of Him. Turn your vision inward. You can see the Divine instantly. Have full faith that He's residing in your heart and experience Him within you.

- Divine Discourse, Nov 23, 1999.

When the heart is pure, the light of wisdom shines.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm

What is the secret for achieving greatness in life?

Our culture has laid great stress on the teaching, "Revere the mother as the Divine" and "Revere the father as the Divine".

Aren’t there many great people in the state? Aren’t there many who are rich and educated? But they could not succeed in life due to lack of faith in the Divine.

It was only Ramakrishna Paramahamsa who could lead an ideal life by loving his mother and obeying her commands, due to his implicit faith and devotion to his mother.

He taught people that there is nothing greater and nobler in this world than mother’s love.

You take the history of any great person in this world; they owe their greatness to their mother. The mother is Divine, verily.

It is, therefore, not proper to hurt the feelings of a mother who is the embodiment of love. It is only when we develop love towards our mother, that our life will become happy and prosperous.

- Divine Discourse, May 6, 2005.

Develop firm faith that whatever our mother does for us unselfishly is for our own good.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:51 pm

The totality of feeling

What is feeling? Feeling is like thought. Feeling is a sensation.

I see a flower and I respond to that flower; I like it or dislike it. The like or the dislike is dictated by my thought, and the thought is the response of the background of memory.

So, I say, “I like that flower,” or “I do not like that flower;” “I like this feeling” or “I do not like that feeling.”...

Now, is love related to feeling? Feeling is sensation, obviously—sensation of like and dislike, of good and bad, of good taste and all the rest of it. Is that feeling related to love?...

Have you watched your street, have you watched the way you live in your houses, the way you sit, the way you talk? And have you noticed all your saints whom you worship?

For them passion is sex, and therefore they deny passion, therefore they deny beauty—deny in the sense of putting those aside. So, with sensation you have put away love because you say, “Sensation will make me a prisoner, I will be a slave to sex—desire; therefore I must cut it out.” Therefore you have made sex into an immense problem...

When you have understood feeling completely, not partially, when you have really understood the totality of feeling, then you will know what love is.

When you can see the beauty of a tree, when you can see the beauty of a smile, when you can see the sun setting behind the walls of your town—see totally—then you will know what love is.

The Book of Life, May 9, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: Jkrishnamurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:46 am

Why should we surrender without any reservations, preconditions or expectations?

Your body is mortal, but life principle (Atma) is imperishable. To attain immortality, have unconditional love for the Divine.

Imagine you going to a goldsmith and asking him to make a jewelry of your choice. Your job is only to entrust gold with him with the condition that the weight and design should be to your specification. You must not interfere in how he converts your gold into the jewellery you want.

If you stipulate conditions that he should not burn it in fire, or beat it with a hammer, how can you get the ornament that you ordered? Similarly, if you surrender your heart to the Divine with conditions and reservations, how can you attain bliss?

What He does with you is His business. Pray to Him with unconditional surrender. When all that you possess — your body, mind and intellect are His gifts, where is the need for you to lay conditions?

Surrender completely, the Divine will grant you the bliss you deserve!

- Divine Discourse, Nov 23, 1999.

An aspirant must bear all circumstances with patience; that is the most beneficial path.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Meeting life anew

One of the things, it seems to me, that most of us eagerly accept and take for granted is the question of beliefs.

I am not attacking beliefs. What we are trying to do is to find out why we accept beliefs; and if we can understand the motives, the causation of acceptance, then perhaps we may be able not only to understand why we do it, but also be free of it.

One can see how political and religious beliefs, national and various other types of beliefs, do separate people, do create conflict, confusion, and antagonism which is an obvious fact; and yet we are unwilling to give them up.

There is the Hindu belief, the Christian belief, the Buddhist innumerable sectarian and national beliefs, various political ideologies, all contending with one other, trying to convert one other.

One can see, obviously, that belief is separating people, creating intolerance; is it possible to live without belief?

One can find that out only if one can study oneself in relationship to a belief. Is it possible to live in this world without a belief—not change beliefs, not substitute one belief for another, but be entirely free from all beliefs, so that one meets life anew each minute?

This, after all, is the truth: to have the capacity of meeting everything anew, from moment to moment, without the conditioning reaction of the past, so that there is not the cumulative effect which acts as a barrier between oneself and that which is.

The Book of Life, February 13, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 pm

At times we may not be experiencing the results we desire. Why?

People desire fruits of good actions, without doing good actions! You wish to be saved from the consequences of evil deeds, but ask yourself, do you refrain from bad actions?

You feel happy when someone gives you something. But do you feel equally happy in giving to others?

As you sow, so shall you reap, is a relentless law! No one can escape from the consequences of their actions, whether good or bad.

To enjoy enduring happiness, you must fill your mind with pure thoughts and entertain fine feelings in your heart. Through good thoughts and good kindly actions, the heart gets pure and holy.

In the journey of life, body is like a cart and heart is like a horse. Unless you feed the heart well, the journey cannot proceed properly.

The heart must be fed with good fodder in the form of good company, good conduct and good thoughts. Submit everything as an offering to the Divine!

- Divine Discourse, May 3, 1987.

Forget all the harm done to you by others and the help you have done to others.

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives