Life 30 (Jun 18 - Oct 18)

Re: Life 30 (Jun 18 - Nov 18)

Postby winston » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 am

[b]What are the core principles of Righteousness? [/b]

Righteousness (Dharma) has no prejudice or partiality; it is imbued with truth and justice.

People must adhere to right-conduct (dharma); they must see that they never go against it. It is wrong to deviate from it.

The path of dharma requires people to give up hatred against others and cultivate mutual concord and amity.

Through concord and amity, the world will grow day by day into a place of happiness. If these are well established, the world will be free from disquiet, indiscipline, disorder, and injustice.

Whatever good value you desire to follow, first grasp its real meaning. Then, you must cultivate it daily and benefit from it. By this means, wisdom grows and lasting joy is earned.

The wise, who are impartial and unprejudiced, who are committed to living in dharma, walk on the path of truth, as instructed in the Scriptures. That is the path for all people today.

- Dharma Vahini, Ch 13, ‘The Dharmic Person’

Morality consists in acting up to the rules of right conduct prescribed by society at a particular time and place for an individual or group.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 am

Why shouldn’t one have pleasure?

You see a beautiful sunset, a lovely tree, a river that has a wide, curving movement, or a beautiful face, and to look at it gives great pleasure, delight. What is wrong with that?

It seems to me the confusion and the misery begin when that face, that river, that cloud, that mountain becomes a memory, and this memory then demands a greater continuity of pleasure; we want such things repeated. We all know this.

I have had a certain pleasure, or you have had a certain delight in something, and we want it repeated.

Whether it be sexual, artistic, intellectual, or something not quite of this character, we want it repeated—and I think that is where pleasure begins to darken the mind and create values which are false, not actual.

What matters is to understand pleasure, not try to get rid of it—that is too stupid. Nobody can get rid of pleasure.

But to understand the nature and the structure of pleasure is essential; because if life is only pleasure, and if that is what one wants, then with pleasure go the misery, the confusion, the illusions, the false values which we create, and therefore there is no clarity.

The Book of Life, April 5, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: Jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 am

What should we do to live in peace and happiness?

In the present times, anxiety and fear are spreading amongst people and righteousness (dharma) is receiving a setback.

The world can win back peace and harmony only when people are persuaded to practice the ideals laid down in the scriptures which serve as beacon-lights to guide mankind aright.

All activities in your daily living (karma) are really speaking the practice of dharma. The Scriptures give us guidance on what must be done and what must be avoided in the journey of life.

For involving oneself in good activities, spiritual wisdom is an essential prerequisite. They direct us to revere the mother as the Divine, father as the Divine, preceptor as the Divine and also the guest as the Divine.

They also warn us that truth and righteousness should not be neglected. So there are both positive and negative instructions — follow these counsels, not others.

Accept whatever conduces to your progress in goodness; avoid the others.

- Sathya Sai Vahini, Ch 11, ‘Values in Vedas’.

Universal peace depends on the peace of the society, which in turn depends on the peace of the individual.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

Happiness cannot be pursued

What do you mean by happiness? Some will say happiness consists in getting what you want. You want a car, and you get it, and you are happy. I want a sari or clothes; I want to go to Europe and if I can, I am happy. I want to be the ... greatest politician, and if I get it, I am happy; if I cannot get it, I am unhappy.

So, what you call happiness is getting what you want, achievement or success, becoming noble, getting anything that you want. As long as you want something and you can get it, you feel perfectly happy; you are not frustrated, but if you cannot get what you want, then unhappiness begins.

All of us are concerned with this, not only the rich and the poor. The rich and the poor all want to get something for themselves, for their family, for society; and if they are prevented, stopped, they will be unhappy.

We are not discussing, we are not saying that the poor should not have what they want. That is not the problem. We are trying to find out what is happiness and whether happiness is something of which you are conscious.

The moment you are conscious that you are happy, that you have much, is that happiness? The moment you are conscious that you are happy, it is not happiness, is it?

So you cannot go after happiness. The moment you are conscious that you are humble, you are not humble. So happiness is not a thing to be pursued; it comes. But if you seek it, it will evade you.

The Book of Life, July 3, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnmurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:38 am

What are the primary qualities we need to cultivate to reach our destination in this journey of life?

In this journey of life, first and foremost, you need to have self-confidence. Today, people suffer because of lack of self-confidence.

There may be a few difficulties in your way, but do not be unduly perturbed. You should face all hardships with courage and conviction. Only then you will attain true happiness.

If you have total faith in the Divine, you will be able to overcome all difficulties. Never blame the Divine for your difficulties.

You are bound to face the consequences of your actions, whether good or bad! But if you earn His grace, even difficult circumstances will yield good.

So develop faith in the Divine more and more. You trust your friend whom you met only a few years ago, but not the Divine who is with you, in you, and around you, throughout your life.

You trust the washerman and part with your valuable clothes. Why then is it hard for you to have firm faith and trust in the omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient all-powerful Divinity?

- Divine Discourse, Feb 14, 1999.

An aspirant must bear all circumstances with patience; that is the most beneficial path.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:09 pm

How can we make best use of our education?

The eyes, the ears, the nose and the hand, are the different limbs of the body. Body is a limb of the society. Society is a limb of mankind. Mankind is a limb of nature. Nature is a limb of the Divine.

It is because of the impact of modern education that man is misusing his limbs. The Scriptures teach that all the education that one acquires should be utilised for the welfare of society.

The Scriptures say, "One should involve in the service of society". "One should be a treasure of wisdom" and "One should cultivate all good qualities".

After education, one should work for the welfare of society and the world at large. One should not have the narrow feeling that one’s family alone should be happy.

Without the world, where is the family? Man and his family are dependent on society and the world at large.

So, the individual and the family can be happy only when the world is safe and secure.

- Divine Discourse, Apr 14, 1999.

All that you are, you owe to society and you have to show your gratitude to society by rendering service.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Can the crude mind become sensitive?

Listen to the question, to the meaning behind the words. Can the crude mind become sensitive?

If I say my mind is crude and I try to become sensitive, the very effort to become sensitive is crudity. Please see this.

Don’t be intrigued, but watch it. Whereas, if I recognize that I am crude without wanting to change, without trying to become sensitive, if I begin to understand what crudeness is, observe it in my life from day to day—the greedy way I eat, the roughness with which I treat people, the pride, the arrogance, the coarseness of my habits and thoughts—then that very observation transforms what is.

Similarly, if I am stupid and I say I must become intelligent, the effort to become intelligent is only a greater form of stupidity; because what is important is to understand stupidity.

However much I may try to become intelligent, my stupidity will remain. I may acquire the superficial polish of learning, I may be able to quote books, repeat passages from great authors, but basically I shall still be stupid.

But if I see and understand stupidity as it expresses itself in my daily life—how I behave towards my servant, how I regard my neighbor, the poor man, the rich man, the clerk—then that very awareness brings about a breaking up of stupidity.

The Book of Life, February 3, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 am

Become deeply aware

Dependence sets going the movement of aloofness and attachment, a constant conflict without comprehension, without a release.

You must become aware of the process of attachment and dependence, become aware of it without condemnation, without judgment, and then you will perceive the significance of this conflict of opposites.

If you become deeply aware and consciously direct thought to comprehend the full meaning of need, of dependence, your conscious mind will be open and clear about it; and then the subconscious with its hidden motives, pursuits and intentions, will project itself into the conscious.

When this happens, you must study and understand each intimation of the subconscious. If you do this many times, becoming aware of the projections of the subconscious after the conscious has thought out the problem as clearly as possible, then, even though you give your attention to other matters, the conscious and the subconscious will work out the problem of dependence, or any other problem.

Thus there is established a constant awareness which will patiently and gently bring about integration; and if your health and diet are all right, this will in turn bring about fullness of being.

The Book of Life, March 4, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:25 pm

What is the victory flag we must hoist today?

The flag is the symbol of victory, celebrating the joy of Independence. Each nation has its own flag.

Pay attention to another flag to symbolise another laudable victory over one's lower instincts, impulses, passions, emotions and desires - the flag that has to be unfurled in every human heart.

When you achieve that victory, you will become the true inheritors of culture. Everyone must love their motherland. But that should not lead to hating the other’s motherland. Hence, you must pray, "May all the world be happy and peaceful.”

Always remember that your peace and happiness are linked with the world's peace and happiness.

Any act of hatred or violence committed by you will pollute the atmosphere of the world.

When you adore any living being, the adoration reaches the Divine, for He is in every being.

Insult any living being and the insult too reaches the Divine. So, expand love towards all, everywhere.

- Divine Discourse, Aug 15, 1985.

Our Nation will be safe, secure, peaceful and prosperous only when your conduct is good.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 am

Is there truth in religions?

The question is: Is there not truth in religions, in theories, in ideals, in beliefs? Let us examine.

What do we mean by religion? Surely, not organized religion, not Hinduism, Buddhism, or Christianity—which are all organized beliefs with their propaganda, conversion, proselytism, compulsion, and so on.

Is there any truth in organized religion? It may engulf, enmesh truth, but the organized religion itself is not true. Therefore, organized religion is false, it separates man from man.

You are a Muslim, I am a Hindu, another is a Christian or a Buddhist—and we are wrangling, butchering each other. Is there any truth in that?

We are not discussing religion as the pursuit of truth, but we are considering if there is any truth in organized religion.

We are so conditioned by organized religion to think there is truth in it that we have come to believe that by calling oneself a Hindu, one is somebody, or one will find God. How absurd, sir; to find God, to find reality, there must be virtue.

Virtue is freedom, and only through freedom can truth be discovered—not when you are caught in the hands of organized religion, with its beliefs. And is there any truth in theories, in ideals, in beliefs?

Why do you have beliefs? Obviously, because beliefs give you security, comfort, safety, a guide. In yourself you are frightened, you want to be protected, you want to lean on somebody, and therefore you create the ideal, which prevents you from understanding that which is. Therefore, an ideal becomes a hindrance to action.

The Book of Life, December 13, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives