Life 30 (Jun 18 - Oct 18)

Re: Life 29 (Nov 17 - Aug 18)

Postby winston » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:10 am

Constant thought is a waste of energy

Most of us spend our life in effort, in struggle; and the effort, the struggle, the striving, is a dissipation of that energy.

Man, throughout the historical period of man, has said that to find that reality or God—whatever name he may give to it—you must be celibate; that is, you take a vow of chastity and suppress, control, battle with yourself endlessly all your life, to keep your vow.

Look at the waste of energy! It is also a waste of energy to indulge. And it has far more significance when you suppress.

The effort that has gone into suppression, into control, into this denial of your desire distorts your mind, and through that distortion you have a certain sense of austerity which becomes harsh.

Please listen. Observe it in yourself and observe the people around you. And observe this waste of energy, the battle.

Not the implications of sex, not the actual act, but the ideals, the images, the pleasure—the constant thought about them is a waste of energy.

And most people waste their energy either through denial, or through a vow of chastity, or in thinking about it endlessly.

The Book of Life, April 18, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: JKrishnamurti.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:26 am

Understanding suffering

Why am I or why are you callous to another man’s suffering? Why are we indifferent to the coolie who is carrying a heavy load, to the woman who is carrying a baby? Why are we so callous?

To understand that, we must understand why suffering makes us dull. Surely, it is suffering that makes us callous; because we don’t understand suffering, we become indifferent to it.

If I understand suffering, then I become sensitive to suffering, awake to everything, not only to myself, but to the people about me, to my wife, to my children, to an animal, to a beggar.

But we don’t want to understand suffering, and the escape from suffering makes us dull, and therefore we are callous.

Sir, the point is that suffering, when not understood, dulls the mind and heart; and we do not understand suffering because we want to escape from it, through the guru, through a savior, through mantras, through reincarnation, through ideas, through drink and every other kind of addiction—anything to escape what is...

Now, the understanding of suffering does not lie in finding out what the cause is. Any man can know the cause of suffering; his own thoughtlessness, his stupidity, his narrowness, his brutality, and so on.

But if I look at the suffering itself without wanting an answer, then what happens? Then, as I am not escaping, I begin to understand suffering; my mind is watchfully alert, keen, which means I become sensitive, and being sensitive, I am aware of other people’s suffering.

The Book of Life, July 9, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: JKrisnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 am

We have made sex a problem

Why is it that whatever we touch we turn into a problem?... Why has sex become a problem?

Why do we submit to living with problems; why do we not put an end to them? Why do we not die to our problems instead of carrying them day after day, year after year?

Surely, sex is a relevant question, which I shall answer presently, but there is the primary question: why do we make life into a problem?

Working, sex, earning money, thinking, feeling, experiencing, you know, the whole business of living—why is it a problem? Is it not essentially because we always think from a particular point of view, from a fixed point of view?

We are always thinking from a center towards the periphery, but the periphery is the center for most of us, and so anything we touch is superficial. But life is not superficial; it demands living completely, and because we are living only superficially, we know only superficial reaction.

Whatever we do on the periphery must inevitably create a problem, and that is our life—we live in the superficial and we are content to live there with all the problems of the superficial.

So, problems exist as long as we live in the superficial, on the periphery—the periphery being the “me” and its sensations, which can be externalized or made subjective, which can be identified with the universe, with the country, or with some other thing made up by the mind.

So, as long as we live within the field of the mind there must be complications, there must be problems; and that is all we know.

The Book of Life, April 10, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: JKrishnamurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

What should we do to live in joy and peace?

A single household now has ten factions and parties. Those who cannot reform their own homes, have started reforming the country and are advising others about cooperation and harmonious living.

Knowledge of the Inner-Self as the very basis of all beings is now forgotten, and that is the cause for all the unrest, confusion, and moral crisis today!

Decline in the discipline of "constant thought of the Divine", is the root-cause of the decline of this country.

It is to awaken the sleeping and communicate this message to them that the Divine descends.

If anyone calls you weak, do not believe it. You have intelligence, discipline, spiritual capacity, consciousness of others’ excellences, awareness of your faults, and eagerness to improve yourself — then how can you be called weak?

Remember, a prayerful life will not yield to the fury of passion; it will be a source of strength and cooperation.

- Divine Discourse, Dec 09, 1963.

Desires are born of greed. When greed is weakened more and more, discontent declines in equal measure.

Source: radiosai.org
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am

Why should we firmly believe in the presence of Divine within us and everywhere around us?

Ancient sages who experienced the fragrance of the Divine searched for the form. They sought Him in forests and bushes. They had renounced everything and made a lot of sacrifices, still they could not find the source.

Some even gave up midway, being satisfied with the fragrance that they had experienced. But others, with relentless determination, were able to find the flower eventually.

There were yet others who could not experience the fragrance itself due to ‘severe cold’, and were termed atheists.

Even though they had the nose they could not experience the fragrance of divine Bliss; they indeed are the unfortunate ones. But those who were able to experience this bliss exclaimed in ecstasy, “We have realised the Supreme Personality of the Divinehead.”

How is one to realise this? In every human being, the bliss or Ananda emanates from the heart, just as fragrance from a flower. The heart truly is complete and full.

- Divine Discourse, Apr 29, 1998.

The Divine is Love, The Divine is Peace.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 am

Be in communion with sorrow

Most of us are not in communion with anything. We are not directly in communion with our friends, with our wives, with our children…

So to understand sorrow, surely you must love it, must you not? That is, you must be in direct communion with it.

If you would understand something—your neighbor, your wife, or any relationship—if you would understand something completely, you must be near it.

You must come to it without any objection, prejudice, condemnation, or repulsion; you must look at it, must you not?

If I would understand you, I must have no prejudices about you. I must be capable of looking at you, not through barriers, screens of my prejudices and conditionings. I must be in communion with you, which means I must love you.

Similarly, if I would understand sorrow, I must love it, I must be in communion with it. I cannot do so because I am running away from it through explanations, through theories, through hopes, through postponements, which are all the process of verbalization.

So words prevent me from being in communion with sorrow. Words prevent me—words of explanations, rationalizations, which are still words, which are the mental process— from being directly in communion with sorrow. It is only when I am in communion with sorrow that I understand it.

The Book of Life, July 31, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

Living is the greatest revolution

Mind is held in a pattern; its very existence is the frame within which it works and moves.

The pattern is of the past or the future, it is despair and hope, confusion and Utopia, the what has been and the what should be.

With this we are all familiar. You want to break the old pattern and substitute a “new” one, the new being the modified old... You want to produce a new world.

It is impossible. You may deceive yourself and others, but unless the old pattern is broken completely there cannot be a radical transformation.

You may play around with it, but you are not the hope of the world. The breaking of the pattern, both the old and the so-called new, is of the utmost importance if order is to come out of this chaos. That is why it is essential to understand the ways of the mind...

Is it possible for the mind to be without a pattern, to be free of this backward and forward swing of desire? It is definitely possible.

Such action is living in the now. To live is to be without hope, without the care of tomorrow; it is not hopelessness or indifference. But we are not living, we are always pursuing death, the past or the future.

Living is the greatest revolution. Living has no pattern, but death has: the past or the future, the what has been or the Utopia. You are living for the Utopia, and so you are inviting death and not life.

The Book of Life, September 25, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:42 am

Why should we surrender to the Divine?

Divinity is in everyone and everywhere.

You may not see Him with your physical eye, but you can visualise Him with your inner vision.

Air exists, you cannot deny this even though you cannot see it or catch it. When it is hot, you can experience coolness either by using a hand fan or an electric fan. Air has not come from the fan. But whoever uses the fan receives and feels the air.

Similarly, the Divine exists like air. The intellect is the fan. If you turn it toward the Inner-Self (Atma), you get Inner bliss.

On the other hand, you turn it towards the body, and you get temporary bodily pleasure.

For crossing the ocean of life, you cannot depend on the body which is perishable and transient. It is indeed full of dirt and filth, flesh and bones. Hence you must surrender to the Divine within.

Once you have the Divine to help you, there is nothing that you cannot achieve.

- Divine Discourse, Apr 29, 1998.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 am

Reality is in what is

Instead of asking who has realized or what God is, why not give your whole attention and awareness to what is?

Then you will find the unknown, or rather it will come to you.

If you understand what is the known, you will experience that extraordinary silence which is not induced, not enforced, that creative emptiness in which alone reality can enter.

It cannot come to that which is becoming, which is striving; it can only come to that which is being, which understands what is.

Then you will see that reality is not in the distance; the unknown is not far off; it is in what is.

As the answer to a problem is in the problem, so reality is in what is; if we can understand it, then we shall know truth.

The Book of Life, August 22, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: Jkrishnamurthi.com
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong holidays in Langkawi, “enjoying like a child”
https://mothership.sg/2018/07/goh-chok- ... i-holiday/
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives