Ancient Chinese History

Ancient Chinese History

Postby blid2def » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Wish I'd had the chance to study Ancient Chinese History / Philosophy when I was schooling; and wish I'd the Internet back then. Anyway, for those who appreciate this subject:

申不害 (约公元前385~前337)

http://baike.baidu.com/view/77856.htm?func=retitle
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: Ancient Chinese History

Postby millionairemind » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:57 pm

GR,

Thanks for the link.. Your Cheena darn powderful... :D

mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi GR

Your Chinese is chim 8-) .
Wanna consult U : Given a chance to study Chinese history/literature in China, where would U go?? Must exclude premier uni like Beijing Uni.......cuz too dazzlingly tough to get in, I suppose.

Will it be Zheijiang University?
Will it be Beijing Normal University?
What abt Fujian Uni??
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby blid2def » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:22 pm

No lah, my Cheena not chim lah; chim one is those who enjoy reading Chinese literature / 散文 type; those I respect because those really got interest in Chinese language and can read until "king king kong kong". I read the 散文 I pengz and fall alseep. I do like some read (and if I can, recite) poems or those 打油诗 though, 'cos they make me sound intelligent. Wahaha.

Lena - no idea about any of those U's actually - well actually, I know Fujian Uni - that's the one in the movie "新难兄难弟" starring 梁家辉 and 梁朝伟. Googled this up; the classic line from that show (starring Fujian Uni):

梁家辉 + 梁朝伟: "我地係福建大學畢業既,Fuking Fuking U!"

Okay, sorry for the silly joke, but I really oso no idea. Maybe if back then I had the interest, I'd have researched more on where to study. Now, I just happy to read on the Web / papers or watch the TV serials. :mrgreen:
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 pm

Here's something I learned a few years ago, to help remember the Chinese periods / dynasties:

汤尧禹舜夏商周,春秋战国乱悠悠。
秦汉三国晋统一,南朝北朝是对头。
隋唐五代又十国,宋元明清帝王休。

Absolutely brilliant, that.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
梁家辉 + 梁朝伟: "我地係福建大學畢業既,Fuking Fuking U!"
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 am

grandrake wrote:Here's something I learned a few years ago, to help remember the Chinese periods / dynasties:

汤尧禹舜夏商周,春秋战国乱悠悠。
秦汉三国晋统一,南朝北朝是对头。
隋唐五代又十国,宋元明清帝王休。

Absolutely brilliant, that.

Yes, brilliant. Can save some braincells liao.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 am

can teach me ?

Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby blid2def » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:40 pm

夏商周 : first 3 dynasties (very colourful mythical stories here; 封神榜 is a novel that describes the transition from the 商 to 周 dynasty

春秋战国 : warring states period (lots of very nice 成语 stories come from this period; as a kid, I loved reading a couple of books that told these stories)

秦汉 : Ch'in & Han dynasties, China united

三国晋统一 : 3 Kingdoms period, reunited under 晋; ironically reunification wasn't by any of the 3 main families (刘, 孙, 曹); well, technically speaking, they were reunited under Cao's armies but the eventual ruler was from the Sima family - the Cao's forced the Han emperor to abdicate, the Sima's eventually returned the favour and seized the throne from the Cao's (karma is a nasty thing)

南朝北朝: more luan periods, I don't know too much about these (http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/12132182.html?fr=qrl3)

隋唐: Sui and Tang dynasties

五代又十国: more luan periods, I don't know too much about these (http://baike.baidu.com/view/22638.htm)

宋元明清: 4 dynasties; 2 of which (元 & 清) are under non-Han descendants

帝王休: end of monarchy system; the republic is born
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:53 pm

At the end of the day, the whole concept of a "united" or "reunited" China is an artificial construct, much like the USSR.

天下之势, 合久必分, 分久必合.

You don't even need to look at politics to see this. :D Company organizational structures being an example. :)
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Next

Return to Miscellaneous