Active Aging

Re: Active Aging

Postby Cherry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:49 am

Getting Married Late in Life .......

Jacob, age 92, and Henrietta, age 89, are excited about their decision to get married.

They go for a stroll to discuss the wedding and on the way they pass a chemist.

Jacob suggests they go in.

Jacob addresses the man behind the counter: "Are you the owner?"
The pharmacist answers "Yes".

Jacob: "We're about to get married. Do you sell heart medication?"
Pharmacist: "Of course we do."

Jacob: "How about medicine for circulation?"
Pharmacist: "All kinds."

Jacob: "Medicine for rheumatism, scoliosis?"
Pharmacist: "Definitely."

Jacob:" Medicine for memory problems, arthritis, jaundices?"
Pharmacist: "Yes, a large variety..... the works!"

Jacob: "What about vitamins, sleeping pills, antidotes for Parkinson's Disease?"
Pharmacist: "Absolutely."

Jacob:" You sell wheelchairs and walkers?"
Pharmacist: "All speeds and sizes. Why do you ask?
Is there something I can help you with?"

Jacob says to the pharmacist:
"We'd like to nominate your store as our Bridal Gift Shop."
Cherry
Foreman

Postby winston » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:00 pm

"Whatever poet, orator, or sage may say of it, old age is still old age."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 am

Now I know why I cant watch CNBC, look at HK shares, look at Spore shares, post in forum, answer phone and eat peanuts at the same time anymore :P

Study: Older brains less nimble at multi-tasking by Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The elderly have a harder time multi-tasking than young adults because older people are far less nimble at switching neurological connections in their brains between activities, according to research released on Monday.

Source: Reuters
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm

In Israel, I signed up for a 10-hour full day tour of Megiddo, Caesarea, Galilee etc. My driver-cum-guide was a 79-year old retired university professor (Israeli-American from Cleveland). He was clearly energetic before lunch but after lunch (supposedly must had been heavy), his fatigue was discernibly obvious. He often bellowed "Patience, ladies and gentlemen" whenever we had to wait our turns out in the long queues.

For 5 nights, we patronized an Italian cafe run solely by a 78-year old Israeli (originally from Uruguay). He had a part-time Colombian student over the weekends. He was spritely, cheerful and very good with pizzas :!: Furthermore, he was very well educated.

All of this was possible because customers had patience.

I once snapped at a young man who snapped at my heels impatiently. I told him that he had another 60 more years to go and how did he expect to live it out when he could have just beaten me to the door by around 7 seconds :!:
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Bless this couple:
Did U hear the click????
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:53 am

Singapore’s 113-Year-Old Teresa Hsu Talks Longevity On Elderly Health Day

AsianScientist (Aug. 8, 2011) – Living to 100 isn’t all about genes, but rather it has a lot to do with good nutrition and living a healthy lifestyle, Hong Kong geriatric experts said yesterday at Elderly Health Day 2011.

According to Dr. Bernard Kong, President of the Hong Kong Geriatrics Society, and Dr. Lo Man Wai of the University of Hong Kong, good habits developed from at least middle age can contribute greatly to longevity and quality of life – lending credence to the Chinese saying that anyone can live to be 100

Elderly Health Day 2011 was organized by the Hong Kong Health Care Association on Aging (HKAOA) to share the secrets of living a long, quality life through nutritional care and professional guidance. Also in attendance was a very popular centenarian, Teresa Hsu.

The 113-year-old “Sister Teresa” was born in abject poverty in Guangdong in 1898 but rose to become one of Asia’s most beloved and inspirational social workers. She started studying nursing after World War II, at the age of 47.

Today, Hsu is the founder of the Heart to Heart Service and the Home for the Aged Sick in Singapore, where she lives as one of the city’s most cherished treasures.

“My secrets of longevity are simple: I stay positive, I contribute, I eat a healthy diet, and every morning I do yoga,” said Sister Teresa, who was flown to Hong Kong for the event.

“I think nutrition is very important. I try to stay away from heavy cooking because it takes away much of the vitamins in food. I also try to avoid caffeine. Overall, my eating habits are very simple: I consume a lot of foods like avocado, milk, beans and raw eggs that are high in nutrients like proteins and omega-3,” she said.

Hsu also discussed the benefit of meditation in staying healthy at her age.

“Meditation is also an important part of my life. I spend a couple of hours every morning ‘clearing my brain’ and focusing on the day ahead. I believe a healthy brain goes a long way toward living a long, quality life,” she said.

Elderly Health Day 2011 was an open-to-the-public event at the Dragon Center, with an estimated 2000 people in attendance.

Source: Hong Kong Health Care Association on Aging Limited

http://www.asianscientist.com/topnews/t ... -day-2011/
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am

This simple activity can delay the onset of Alzheimer's
From Dr. David Eifrig

Research shows learning a second language can help delay the onset of Alzheimer's.

Learning languages activates your memory and exercises the part of your brain that gives us our ability to think in complex ways. It also helps you to multitask by learning to focus.

Scientists believe that knowing more than one language forces our brains to lay down new tracts to prevent the two languages from interfering with each other.

You can learn a new language through several sources: One popular method is with a software program like Rosetta Stone.

You can also find applications and audio books through iTunes that are easy to download to your iPod.

And there's always the old-school method - take a class at a local college. Some schools offer discounts for senior citizens.

Source: Retirement Millionaire
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Just saw on Bloomberg that there's a Sikh aged 100 years old, who just completed a marathon in Toronto ...
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:11 am

'I ran my first marathon at 70' TODAYonline

At next Sunday's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2011, the two oldest Singaporean runners will be Mr Chan Meng Hui, 81, and Mr Kor Hong Fatt, 79.

Mr Kor, amazingly, only took up running after suffering a heart attack when he was 70 years old.

http://www.todayonline.com/Sunday/Facei ... thon-at-70
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby iam802 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:53 am

winston wrote:'I ran my first marathon at 70' TODAYonline

At next Sunday's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2011, the two oldest Singaporean runners will be Mr Chan Meng Hui, 81, and Mr Kor Hong Fatt, 79.

Mr Kor, amazingly, only took up running after suffering a heart attack when he was 70 years old.

http://www.todayonline.com/Sunday/Facei ... thon-at-70

Incredible.

That Mr. Kor who started running at 70..has a personal best of 4hr 39min for his marathon in 2009 (around 77 years old!)

On why he runs..

On why he took up running at a relatively late age, he says: "My wife suffered a stroke in 1994 while we were touring Shanghai and, after that, I took care of her all the time. In 2002, when I was 70, I suffered a heart attack and I was hospitalised for eight days. I had never run before. But I took up marathon running because I realised I had to be around to look after my wife. If I didn't change my lifestyle then, I wouldn't be able to do so. And then I would become a burden to my two sons."

Source: TODAYonline.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous