Gardening, Flowers & Plants

Gardening, Flowers & Plants

Postby blid2def » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:35 am

Anyone has green fingers here? Need some tips/advice:

I've been planting some herbs in the past (all sorts: thyme, parsley, basil, sage, etc.) and am now planting some boxthorn (aka wolfberries - yup, those 枸杞子)... :D

Well, the issue is this:
Very often, these herbs will grow nicely for a start, then maybe a few weeks later, they'll all suddenly go weak at the base of the stem (near the soil) and start to fall. The usual observation is that the stem nearest the soil seems to turn black and "collapse" inwards, thus weakening the structure and resulting in the plant falling down overnight.

I don't have this issue, on the same soil, with other stronger-stemmed plants. Only herbs or plants with weak stems.

Appreciate advice on what the cause of the problem is, and what I can do to address it. Thanks! :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: Planting / Gardening...

Postby iam802 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 am

I don't grow plants. (so take the following with a pinch of salt)

I have seen pple put a stick into the pots and let the plants lean on the stick for support?

You also see it when NParks try to plant younger trees.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby helios » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:49 am

grandrake wrote:Anyone has green fingers here? Need some tips/advice:

I've been planting some herbs in the past (all sorts: thyme, parsley, basil, sage, etc.) and am now planting some boxthorn (aka wolfberries - yup, those 枸杞子)... :D

Well, the issue is this:
Very often, these herbs will grow nicely for a start, then maybe a few weeks later, they'll all suddenly go weak at the base of the stem (near the soil) and start to fall. The usual observation is that the stem nearest the soil seems to turn black and "collapse" inwards, thus weakening the structure and resulting in the plant falling down overnight.

I don't have this issue, on the same soil, with other stronger-stemmed plants. Only herbs or plants with weak stems.

ooo ... no experience with wolfberries, but herbs ... mmm, my opinions are to "sun" them oftenly. they will be proned to root rottings [quite easily] in this high humidity (singapore environment); usually, herbs will sustain its growth around 3weeks to 1month ... so best to eat while you can and prune oftenly.

thyme and lavender lavandula are good for planters; it is very hard to grow Sage and Rosemary (as they have even weaker stems).

these herbs, if you get them from nurseries in singapore, they are usually imported from Holland's green house enviroment; hence need to acclimatise them ... they need a lot of Sunshine ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Re: Planting & Gardening

Postby blid2def » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:58 am

I plant them from seeds... haha, but okay, sun sun.... (ooh forgive the pun). Hmm, not much sun where I live (HDB flat... how much sun can you get - always kena block). Okay, thanks for the advice. :D

BTW, for the wolfberries - just take some of the dried fruits you can get from medicinal halls, soak them in water overnight; the next day, peel them and scatter the seeds in the soil...
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 pm

iam802 wrote:I don't grow plants. (so take the following with a pinch of salt)

I have seen pple put a stick into the pots and let the plants lean on the stick for support?

You also see it when NParks try to plant younger trees.

I tried that too - the fundamental problem is the "collapsing" near the base - so that one, got crutches also die... Hahaha...

BTW, I think planting is a good learning experience for kids. Get them some things that are easy to plant/grow and let them nurture them. I grow chilli also - wah, basket plant can grow damn fast. I also grow oranges and lemons (hahahaha yeah no kidding - in a small pot...)

The orange and lemon plants grow well - the stems are a lot stronger, and the leaves are very pretty - lush green. The lemons - I use the seeds from the yellow lemons; while for oranges - I use the seeds from the green Siam oranges you can get from Shop n Save.

For those with kids, I'd encourage teaching them to grow and nurture plants. Good for training patience, responsibility and nurturing loving care. :)
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby iam802 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:05 pm

Sunlight could be one problem (as highlighted by San)

I remember, couple years back, my girl tried to grow bean sprout.

No sunlight. All die..can't even grow well.

Now, she is doing this experiment again. Got sunlight...and growing tall.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby blid2def » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Ah okay... hmm... if got no sunlight - can get those UV lights? It's essentially the UV that's doing the trick, correct? Sorry, my science returned to teachers liao... haha...
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby helios » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:11 pm

wah, so high tech?! UV ... don't know, can try?!!

But best to çook them while You Çan, Chef Grandrake can cook, right?

BTW: i love Lady Slippers Orchids; it is like love-at-first sight ... :D

Paphiopedilums are very rare, exotic and with its flowering groove like a lady's high heel shoe.

here's the introduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady's_Slipper

It is very difficult to get this in Singapore, only upon requested; the nurseries can import these from Holland.

There are some interest networking groups on this spp. and the man whom i respect lives in potong pasir; he has hundreds of the spp. in a HDB flat [with security cameras] ... shhh ... i'll visit him every CNY routinely.

as for my pot @ home, it is not fertile liao ... very sad ... but the bulbs are ok, and splitting into twos ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 pm

Eh... I dun even have the chance to see them grow tall, how to cook them? :) But I guess, if I cannot get them a lot of sun, I can reduce their water intake... As for the lights... hmm, maybe normal light can? As long as it can throw out enough UV to keep the plants dry?

Anyway, I tossed out the same question to the folks at GreenCulturesSG (http://www.greenculturesg.com/), hopefully can get other angles too.

Thanks again for your help.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 pm

aiya....u shd have brought this up earlier.. then i can help...

do u want to know about my successful experiences in growing dao geh ?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Next

Return to Miscellaneous