Philosophy 02 (Nov 15 - Dec 24)

Re: Philosophy

Postby winston » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:29 am

Managing Your Expectations

Remind yourself that it is not realistic to expect external objects to be a lasting source of happiness.

Reflect on the fact that by letting go, we can enjoy our health, our relationships, any wealth we might have when it’s there and be relaxed when it isn’t.

- Thubten Chodron, “Taking the Ache Out of Attachment”
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:47 am

Navigating Conversation

Navigating conversation successfully, calls for showing up in our entirety and inviting our dialogue partner to do the same — which means putting background assumptions on the table.

- Linda Heuman, “A New Way Forward”
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:10 am

Engaging the Whole

When we engage the present, we engage the whole of our lives.

When we plunge into the world, we accept the whole of what is.

- Jack Petranker, “The Present Moment”
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:36 am

Communication for Mindfulness

Communicating skillfully and sensitively with other people, is essential on the road to getting some headspace.

This could mean applying a greater sense of restraint, empathy or perspective, to your relationships — or maybe all three!

- Andy Puddicombe, “10 Tips for Living More Mindfully”
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:21 am

Have an Open Heart

Open-heartedness helps us gain a wider perspective and realize that we’re all vulnerable and fragile.

- Kimberly Brown, “Want to Change Someone’s Mind? Try This Instead.”
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:05 am

Concentration

"There are these three things which we must understand: concentration, choiceless awareness, and attention.

Concentration implies resistance – concentration on a particular thing, on the page you are reading, or on the phrase you are trying to understand: to concentrate, to put all your energy in a particular direction.

That is one thing. I needn’t enlarge on that, need I? In that concentration, there is resistance and therefore there is effort and division.

I want to concentrate, thought goes off on something else, I bring it back. The fight. And if you love something you concentrate very easily.

All that is implied in the word ‘to concentrate’, to put your mind on a particular object, or a particular picture, a particular action. That is one thing.

J. Krishnamurti
Talk 7, Saanen (Switzerland), 1977
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:08 am

Choiceless Awareness

"Choiceless Awareness" implies to be aware both objectively, outside and inwardly, without any choice.

Just to be aware of the colours, of the tent, of the trees, the mountains, nature – just to be aware.

Not choose, say, ‘I like this’, ‘I don’t like that’ or ‘I want this’, ‘I don’t want that’. Right?

To observe without the observer. The observer is the past, which is conditioned, therefore he is always looking from that conditioned point of view, therefore there is like and dislike, my race, your race, my god, your god, all the rest of it.

We are saying to be aware implies to observe the whole environment around you, the mountains, the trees, the ugly walls, the towns, aware, look at it.

And in that observation there is no decision, no will, no choice. Get it? You understand it?

J. Krishnamurti
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:09 am

Attention

And attention – concentration, choiceless awareness and attention.

In attending there is no center. Right?

You are completely attending. Are you now – if I may ask – attending to what is being said?

If you are completely, totally attending there is no you who is attending – is there?

You understand? If you are listening completely with your heart and with your blood, everything, there is no me attending. Right?

There is no me which limits that attention. Then attention is limitless. Right?

Therefore attention then has complete space.

J. Krishnamurti
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:44 am

Embrace Uncertainty

"Since uncertainty prevails, why can’t we come to terms with it? ... Uncertainty is freedom."

- Rebecca Solnit with Joan Halifax and Christiana Figueres in a video series called "Uncertainty and Possibility: Meeting the Climate Future"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:07 am

Wisdom Needs Compassion

For the spiritual life to unleash its full potential as a fountainhead of grace and blessings, the wisdom of selflessness on its own is not sufficient.

The force needed to empower wisdom is compassion.

- Bhikkhu Bodhi, “The Need of the Hour”
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous