Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Re: Life 32 (Jan 19 - May 19)

Postby winston » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am

What should we do to earn the love and presence of the Divine?

The epics teach the path of devotion and surrender. They ask that one should do every deed in a spirit of dedication.

Allow the wind of doubt or the sun of despair, to affect the pot of bliss you have filled, and it will evaporate quickly. But keep the pot in the cool waters of good company and good deeds; it can be preserved undiminished for ever.

Bliss too grows when you dwell on it in silence and recapitulate the circumstances which yielded it. That is why manana or inner reflection is such an important part of spiritual effort.

Like the child which throws off its toys and starts crying, you too must realise the paltriness of the toys of fame and fortune, and call out for the Mother.

The child feels that all else is trash before the love of the Mother and the blessedness of Her presence. One should not aspire for anything less.

- Divine Discourse, Jul 02, 1966.

Command your mind, regulate your conduct, keep your heart straight and clear, then you will win the grace of the Divine.

Source: radiosai.org
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 am

We never question the problem of dependence

Why do we depend? Psychologically, inwardly, we depend on a belief, on a system, on a philosophy; we ask another for a mode of conduct; we seek teachers who will give us a way of life which will lead us to some hope, some happiness. So we are always, are we not, searching for some kind of dependence, security.

Is it possible for the mind ever to free itself from this sense of dependence? Which does not mean that the mind must achieve independence—that is only the reaction to dependence.

We are not talking of independence, of freedom from a particular state. If we can inquire without the reaction of seeking freedom from a particular state of dependence, then we can go much more deeply into it. ...

We accept the necessity for dependence; we say it is inevitable. We have never questioned the whole issue at all, why each one of us seeks some kind of dependence. Is it not that we really, deep down, demand security, permanency?

Being in a state of confusion, we want someone to get us out of that confusion. So, we are always concerned with how to escape or avoid the state in which we are. In the process of avoiding that state, we are bound to create some kind of dependence, which becomes our authority.

If we depend on another for our security, for our inward wellbeing, there arise out of that dependence innumerable problems, and then we try to solve those problems—the problems of attachment.

But we never question, we never go into the problem of dependence itself. Perhaps if we can really intelligently, with full awareness, go into this problem, then we may find that dependence is not the issue at all—that it is only a way of escaping from a deeper fact.

The Book of Life, March 2, Harper San Francisco, 1995

Source: jkrishnamurthi.com
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 am

What should we foster to live in love, peace and joy?

The tree of Life has to be watered at the roots, but now, those who plan to raise the standard of living, water the branches, the leaves and the blossoms.

The roots are the virtues; they have to be fostered so that the flowers of actions, words and thoughts may bloom in fragrance and yield the fruit of service, full of the sweet juice of bliss.

Planning for food, clothing and shelter, is only promoting the well-being of the cart; plan also for the horse, the mind of man which has to use the food, the clothing, the shelter and other material instruments for the high purpose of 'escaping from the ego into the universal'.

Each one of you is fundamentally Divine, and so, naturally, the more you manifest the Divine attributes of Love, Justice, Truth and Peace, the more bliss you will be able to enjoy and impart.

You must be ashamed when you manifest animal qualities, for you are living against your potential and heritage.

- Divine Discourse, Aug 03, 1966.

Your vision will become sanctified only when you develop the feeling that all are the embodiments of the Divine.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 am

The chattering mind

You know, to perceive something is an astonishing experience. I don’t know if you have ever really perceived anything; if you have ever perceived a flower or a face or the sky, or the sea.

Of course, you see these things as you pass by in a bus or a car; but I wonder whether you have ever taken the trouble actually to look at a flower?

And when you do look at a flower, what happens? You immediately name the flower, you are concerned with what species it belongs to, or you say, “What lovely colors it has. I would like to grow it in my garden; I would like to give it to my wife, or put it in my buttonhole,” and so on.

In other words, the moment you look at a flower, your mind begins chattering about it; therefore you never perceive the flower.

You perceive something only when your mind is silent, when there is no chattering of any kind. If you can look at the evening star over the sea without a movement of the mind, then you really perceive the extraordinary beauty of it; and when you perceive beauty, do you not also experience the state of love?

Surely, beauty and love are the same. Without love there is no beauty, and without beauty there is no love.

Beauty is in form, beauty is in speech, beauty is in conduct. If there is no love, conduct is empty; it is merely the product of society, of a particular culture, and what is produced is mechanical, lifeless.

But when the mind perceives without the slightest flutter, then it is capable of looking into the total depth of itself; and such perception is really timeless.

You don’t have to do something to bring it about; there is no discipline, no practice, no method by which you can learn to perceive.

The Book of Life, October 13, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 am

最近在美国很红的诗《走在自己的时区里》:
The latest popular red hot poem in the USA ( Walk inside your own time zone)

在时间上,纽约走在加州前面三个小时,
New York is 3 hours ahead of California,

但加州并没有变慢。
but it does not make California slow.

有人22岁就毕业了,
Someone graduated at the age of 22,

但等了五年才找到好工作!
but waited 5 years before securing a good job!

有人25岁就当上了CEO,
Someone became a CEO at 25,

却在50岁去世了。
and died at 50.

也有人直到50岁才当上CEO,
While another became a CEO at 50,

最后活到90岁。
and lived to 90 years.

有人依然单身,
Someone is still single,

而别人却早已结婚。
while someone else got married.

奥巴马55岁退任总统,
Obama retires at 55,

而川普却是70岁才开始当。
but Trump starts at 70.

世上每个人都有自己的发展时区。
Absolutely everyone in this world works based on their Time Zone.

身边有些人看似走在你前面,
People around you might seem to go ahead of you,

也有人看似走在你后面。
some might seem to be behind you.

但其实每个人在自己的时区有自己的步程。
But everyone is running their own RACE, in their own TIME.

不用嫉妒或嘲笑他们。
Don't envy them or mock them.

他们都在各自的时区,你在你的!
They are in their TIME ZONE, and you are in yours!

所以,别放弃。
So, Never Give up

你没有落后,
You're not LATE.

你没有领先。
You're not EARLY.

在命运为你安排的属于你自己的时区里,一切都非常准时。
You are very much ON TIME, and in your TIME ZONE Destiny set up for you.

再好,别忘了危机与奋斗,
Keep fighting and stay alert, no matter how good;

再难,别忘了梦想与坚持,
Keep dreaming and carry on, no matter how hard;

再忙,别忘了读书与锻炼,
Keep reading and exercising, no matter how busy;

人生,就是一场长跑。
Life is a long run.
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 am

Why should we welcome tests, disappointments and troubles?

Welcome all blows of fate, misfortunes and miseries as gold welcomes the crucible, hammer and anvil, in order to become a jewel.

Like the cane, welcome the chopper, crusher, boiler, pan, sprayer and dryer, so that its sweetness is preserved and used as sugar by all.

The Divine will foster you from within you, just as He saved and fostered so many saints who placed faith in Him.

- Divine Discourse, Sep 8, 1963.

Pure, unselfish Love is the solvent for the hardest of hearts.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:46 am

What are the various steps in journey to the Divine, that every single devotee undergoes?

First practise the attitude: “I am Yours.” Let the wave discover and acknowledge that it belongs to the sea. This step is not easy; the wave takes a long time to recognise the vast sea beneath that gives it its existence. For, the ego is so powerful that it does not permit it to be humble and bend before the sea.

The second step is: “I am Yours; You are My Master. I am Your servant.” This mental attitude will tame the ego, and make every activity worthwhile.

The next step is: “You are mine.” Here the wave demands the support of the sea as its right. The Divine has to take the responsibility of guarding and guiding the individual.

Surdas said, “You are mine. I will not leave You; I shall imprison You in my heart. You shall not escape.”

The next stage is: “You are I; I am but the image, and You are the Reality. I have no separate individuality; there is no duality.”

Offer your virtues as flowers to the Divine; virtues that spread beauty and fragrance.

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:42 pm

To learn, the mind must be quiet

To discover anything new you must start on your own; you must start on a journey completely denuded, especially of knowledge, because it is very easy, through knowledge and belief, to have experiences; but those experiences are merely the products of self-projection and therefore utterly unreal, false.

If you are to discover for yourself what is the new, it is no good carrying the burden of the old, especially knowledge—the knowledge of another, however great.

You use knowledge as a means of self-projection, security, and you want to be quite sure that you have the same experiences as the Buddha or the Christ or X. But a man who is protecting himself constantly through knowledge is obviously not a truth-seeker...

For the discovery of truth there is no path. ... When you want to find something new, when you are experimenting with anything, your mind has to be very quiet, has it not?

If your mind is crowded, filled with facts, knowledge, they act as an impediment to the new; the difficulty for most of us is that the mind has become so important, so predominantly significant, that it interferes constantly with anything that may be new, with anything that may exist simultaneously with the known.

Thus knowledge and learning are impediments for those who would seek, for those who would try to understand that which is timeless.

The Book of Life, January 9, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:22 pm

What is the first step or sign of spiritual progress?

Detachment is the first sign of a spiritual life. Without it, you are an illiterate in spirituality.

It’s the ‘ABC’ of spiritual effort. Detachment must become strong enough for you to discard the bondage of the senses.

A few minutes of thought will help you see the hollowness of earthly riches, fame, and happiness.

When you are adding more and more sums of money to your bank account, consider whether or not you are accumulating troubles for yourselves and your children, making it harder for your children to lead clean, comfortable, and honourable lives.

When you struggle to achieve paltry fame by devious means, remember who among crores of your countrymen are honoured today and for what.

Don’t you see that only those are honoured everywhere who gave up, renounced, and sought the more difficult road of Divine-realisation instead of the easier path of world-realisation?

If you take one step toward Him, He takes a hundred steps towards you!

winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Translation of the facts prevents seeing

A mind that gives an opinion about a fact is a narrow, limited, destructive mind ...

You can translate the fact in one way, and I can translate it in another way. The translation of the fact is a curse, which prevents us from seeing the actual fact and doing something about the fact.

When you and I discuss our opinions about the fact, nothing is done about the fact; you can add perhaps more to the fact, see more nuances, implications, significance about the fact, and I may see less significance in the facts.

But the fact cannot be interpreted; I cannot offer an opinion about the fact. It is so, and it is very difficult for a mind to accept the fact.

We are always translating, we are always giving different meanings to it, according to our prejudices, conditionings, hopes, fears and all the rest of it.

If you and I could see the fact without offering an opinion, interpreting, giving a significance, then the fact becomes much more alive—not more alive—the fact is there alone, nothing else matters; then the fact has its own energy which drives you in the right direction.

The Book of Life, August 9, Harper San Francisco, 1995

winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Archives