Mini Skirts Indicator

Mini Skirts Indicator

Postby winston » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 am

I think you all have heard about the mini-skirts indicator.

The thinking is that, the length of the skirts or the brightness of the clothings, indicates the amount of risk-taking of that era. The shorter the skirt and the brighter the clothes, the more the risk-taking...

So when I look around, I still see a lot of mini-skirts, bright clothings and big loud logos. So this bull market can go on a few more years ...

Example: Ralph Lauren now has a super big logo instead of the small logo during my days at University.

If you go down to Europe, the logos are now very small and subtle. It's only in the EMs, where you see the nouveau rich flaunting their wealth. Or are those fake goods from the PRC ? :P
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Mini Skirts Indicator

Postby winston » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:59 am

The Lindsay Lohan Indicator -- Good News for Bulls By RANDALL W. FORSYTH

In the never-ending quest for economic and stock-market indicators that provide unique insights ahead of mundane measures such as monetary trends or profit forecasts, students of the markets have looked to such unrelated things as magazine covers or women's skirt lengths.

These unconventional indicators, their supporters say, capture the zeitgeist that drives stock prices. For instance, when magazine editors highlight something in a cover story, they are reflecting that trend. If the cover story highlights an economic trend about, say the booming housing market, property prices probably are close to their peak.

Source: Barrons
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Mini Skirts Indicator

Postby winston » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:00 pm

What Skirt Lengths Tell You About The Stock Market By Keith Fitz-Gerald

So what are women's hemlines telling us now?

Let's start with Victoria Beckham.

Formerly known as "Posh" Spice," a reference to her former life in the British girl band, the Spice Girls, she used to wear minis so small that they were rumored to cause heart palpitations during the go-go years of the 1990s. I can't say I disagree.

Lately, though, she's been wearing so-called "pencil" dresses with hems that run well below the knee.

And she's not alone.

Entertainer Beyonce Knowles, model Miranda Kerr and actresses Hayden Panettiere and Eva Mendes are all rocking the look. Even Angelina Jolie is in on the longer hemline action.

I did some checking with fashionistas in London and New York and learned that this is not just in my imagination. At 33 inches, this year's hemlines are, on average, the longest they've been since the Great Depression.

This suggests some very conservative times ahead.

Source: Money Morning
winston
Billionaire Boss

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas