Buy & Hold

Re: Buy & Hold

Postby helios » Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 am

I think, Buy & Hold strategy suits those builders, entrepreneaurs ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby Musicwhiz » Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 am

I think "Buy and Hold" is over-rated. It should be re-named "Buy and Monitor".

There's no such thing as buying shares and sleeping for the next 20 years (doing a Rip Van Winkle as I call it) and expecting a steady dividend stream and capital appreciation. As investors, we should constantly monitor the businesses of the companies we own shares in.
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby tonylim » Tue May 25, 2010 9:46 am

Buy and hold ?
Perhaps, for bonds and other fixed income instruments are more appropriate.
查颜观色,静观其变,审时度世.
tonylim
Boss' Left Hand Person

Postby millionairemind » Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 am

Musicwhiz wrote:I think "Buy and Hold" is over-rated. It should be re-named "Buy and Monitor".

We are in total agreement on this one.. "BUY AND HOMEWORK"

Too many people only understand a little bit of BUY AND HOLD and just ran with it. :roll: :roll:

When to buy, hold for how long??
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:15 am

the last phrase to 'Buy and Hold' is.....
Hidden Content:
Remember to Sell
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 am

Buy and Hold your first marital home. Remember to sell it only when the kids are at least ard 10. They need a stable home environment and the couple need it too so that they can dig in their heels into their jobs and earn their first bucket of gold.

I have some friends who gave up on this country and sold everything here. It turned out to be mistakes most of the time.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks Lena. Great advice.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Tue May 25, 2010 10:48 am

Hi iam802 :D
Thank QQ for your kind words. I gotta clarify this. I mean it's OK to give up on this country and start life elsewhere but why SELL everything unless the couple needs the $$ elsewhere.

I rate KhooTeckHuat and NgTengFong exceptional Buy-and-Hold investors.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue May 25, 2010 12:12 pm

i agree with L on the above 8-)

a home is not to be bought with the sole intention of investment and clearly not for speculative reasons.. it is to be purchased with minimal leverage or non at all.

additional housing asset can be for speculative purposes..

anyways.. i'm glad we all have come to our senses about the mantra "buy and hold"....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 am

'Buy & Fold': An Alternative Strategy By Lauren Tara LaCapra

NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Simon Baker, the founder of Baker Avenue Asset Management, got his start managing wealth at big Wall Street firms.

But the U.K.-born money manager bristles when presented with arguments for the traditional "buy and hold" methodology still touted by his various alma maters.

"I don't want to be coy or anything, but I think people are tired of seeing these same commercials and seeing these same adverts," says Baker. "It's like that expression of putting lipstick on the pig. People are like, 'Wait a second, you can change the quote but it looks exactly the same and tastes exactly the same.'"

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10805391 ... L_atb_html
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas