Dollar Cost Averaging

Re: Portfolio Management

Postby sidney » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 am

DCA make sense if assuming assets appreciate > after averaging it after a vest period of time. And gives me a feeling of lock-in period of many months before you realise its a good bet or folly. Am i right?
Tempered.
sidney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 am

DCA make sense if assuming assets appreciate

a big assumption though...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby millionairemind » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:16 am

sidney wrote:DCA make sense if assuming assets appreciate > after averaging it after a vest period of time. And gives me a feeling of lock-in period of many months before you realise its a good bet or folly. Am i right?

Try a DCA approach from 1999 to 2009 on an index fund mirrored on the SP500... you will still be in the RED. :lol: :lol:

Is ten years a long enough period to show performance of a widely held strategy?? :roll:

How many 10 years does one have in a life time???

All these crap about "STOCKS FOR THE LONG RUN", "The Stock Mkt always come back up" :roll: :roll:

The market might come back, but your stocks might be gone forever :D
Last edited by millionairemind on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Aspellian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:42 am

millionairemind wrote:How many 10 years does one have in a life time???

All these crap about "STOCKS FOR THE LONG RUN", "The Stock Mkt always come back up" :roll: :roll:

The market might come back, but your stocks might be gone forever :D

There's also another risk mentioned here - human life is not LONG TERM (to infinity) (I mean physically anyway....)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Re: Dollar Cost Averaging

Postby Musicwhiz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 am

Precisely. Thus, focus on your companies, not on the stock market!
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby LenaHuat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:01 am

IMHO, DCA is akin to a child dropping coins into the piggy bank. The investor must outgrow this mindset.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby Musicwhiz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:04 am

LenaHuat wrote:IMHO, DCA is akin to a child dropping coins into the piggy bank. The investor must outgrow this mindset.

Tough. I have a friend who firmly believes in DCA, and has been doing it for Mutual Funds for the past 4-5 years. She is now slightly +ve (just breakeven).
Please visit my value investing blog at http://sgmusicwhiz.blogspot.com
Musicwhiz
Boss' Right Hand Person

Postby kennynah » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 am

LenaHuat wrote:IMHO, DCA is akin to a child dropping coins into the piggy bank. The investor must outgrow this mindset.

i like this description very much.... very apt....very elegant.... wahahahaha..... :lol: :lol:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby -dol- » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:51 am

Actually, I think it is a good concept but must be applied very carefully. You must really know what you are DCA into.

It's usually not the method but the practitioner who is the problem.
It's not the bottom if you are not crying.

Disclaimer: This is not investment advice! Please do your own research and due diligence.
-dol-
Foreman

Postby LenaHuat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Exactly. I would use DCA in the manner I've talked abt in the "Averaging Up" thread.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas