Ethical Investing

Re: Ethical Investing

Postby greenhoney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm

greenhoney
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

greenhoney wrote:I personally will never buy tobacco stocks since i know that tobacco causes lung cancer and i do not wish to contribute or receive any dividend on these business.

but im totally ok with agriculture and farming stocks (swine, poultry) as i see the ultimate aim is to provide food and reduce hunger which is essentially a good thing. just my tots

i wish life was always so black and white....
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby greenhoney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 pm

greenhoney
Foreman

Postby cif5000 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Oxymoron at best. Hypocrisy at worst.
cif5000
Foreman

Postby kennynah » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 pm

greenhoney wrote:shame on BAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz4lUN-WHw

this is better than the philip morris one...much more entertaining, complete with smuggling accusations...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby greenhoney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:21 pm

i have watched the philip morris full version of the docu. its really crazy what these companies are doing to the men of indonesia and how second hand smoke cause lung cancer among women folk also.

these stories just harden my resolve to never touch any of these stocks.
greenhoney
Foreman

Postby millionairemind » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 pm

greenhoney wrote:i have watched the philip morris full version of the docu. its really crazy what these companies are doing to the men of indonesia and how second hand smoke cause lung cancer among women folk also.

these stories just harden my resolve to never touch any of these stocks.

No choice la.. profits rule.. :(

Reminds me of the case many years ago where Nestle went on a massive campaign to convince women of third world countries to switch from breast milk to milk powder. This resulted in unnecessary no. of infant deaths due to poor water quality.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

AAR & TOL 03 (Aug 09 - Jul 11)

Postby winston » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:52 pm

TOL:-

Over the years, I have noticed that people or even countries that are very arrogant, would normally be taught a lesson by "the Universe" ..

Therefore, before I invest in a company, if possible, I would like to observe the behaviour of the CEO. If he's bordering on arrogance, normally I dont want to invest into that company. It would be a matter of time before he's being taught a lesson, whether by his own fellow human enemies or by some unexpected events ( from the Universe ).

And I have noticed that arrogant people are normally not that ethical...

With a New Year, I would like to bring this to the next level. I'm starting to look at my portfolio and see whether I want to be investing in Countries that dont embrace democracy, dont respect the rights of it's own citizens, dont respect free speech & the free press or go around bullying other people. It would be a matter of time before these countries would also be taught a lesson by "the sky".

Normally, there's a warning first eg. a 50% correction. And if they dont change their ways, they would be provided with a situation that would allow them to be over-confident before they are finally destroyed .... "Whoever that the Gods want to destroy, they first make him over-confident" ...
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Cheng » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 am

Very good point Winston, I'll note it down. Always liked to read the reports of CEOs, the way they express themselves and how they bring their points forward to shareholders. A good example is Noble on Peabody's last minute opportunistic grab incident if you guys still remember, I had the articles saved up. :lol:

However the articles or letters might not be written by CEOs, I guess the best way is to go to their AGM or see them on videos/TV.

Personally, investing in humble and candid management have proven to be good investments. :)
"The really big money tends to be made by investors who are right on qualitative decisions." Warren Buffett

"Risk no more than you can afford to lose, and also risk enough so that a win is meaningful." Ed Seykota

Scan with FA, Time with TA, Volatility is my Friend. :)
Cheng
Foreman

Postby BlackCat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Arrogance is often a sign of insecurity...
I wait until there is money lying in the corner, and all I have to do is go over there and pick it up.
Jim Rogers
BlackCat
Loafer

PreviousNext

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas