CANSLIM & Momentum Investing 01 (May 08 - Jul 09)

Re: CANSLIM & Momentum Investing

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 pm

winston wrote:
I prefer to short stocks where their fundamentals are detiorating and where they have a chance of going to zero.

Hi Winston,

how about shorting stocks that have went up alot (eg. 300 - 400%) during a market upturn? during market downturn, lots of people will want to profit-take, right?

the risk of shorting a company with bad fundamentals is that it may end belly-up/suspended (TT International, celestial, oriental etc), unless you are shorting an index stock or blue-chip?

I was thinking SGX is a nice gyrating stock to short, any comments on this?

winston wrote:
Shorting index stocks and government linked stocks are very dangerous.

Take care,
Winston

Can you elaborate on this? i will think that most counters are cyclical (not the stable-dividened companies eg. ST eng, SPH, smrt etc), so they will still gyrate according to market direction? or the GLCs and indexes have more big boys playing and they will catch the shortists?

as always, i appreciate your advice! ;)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby kennynah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Aspellian wrote:
winston wrote:
I prefer to short stocks where their fundamentals are detiorating and where they have a chance of going to zero.

Hi Winston,

how about shorting stocks that have went up alot (eg. 300 - 400%) during a market upturn?
during market downturn, lots of people will want to profit-take, right?

the risk of shorting a company with bad fundamentals is that it may end belly-up/suspended (TT International, celestial, oriental etc), unless you are shorting an index stock or blue-chip?

I was thinking SGX is a nice gyrating stock to short, any comments on this?

not a good idea... why would you expect a stock to drop just becos it has rallied for 3 - 4 folds? your reasoning that becos peoplewill want to take profit is an anticipation of an event happening...that may not happen at your entry price...

bro asp : you have been around in this forum and other financial forum for sometime now... i am sure you are NOT a noobie in investing, no ?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 pm

millionairemind wrote:Hi A Bro,

I am not good with shorts (cos' I am very tall haha.. lousy joke... but seriously, I am a tall dude), so I just target a certain %tage which I will take profit. I make most of my profits on the long side...

Another point on shorting, when market breaks, the market will typically drop a few days before attempting a rally. That is when I usually will close my positions when my target is hit.

Yes, follow thro's do fail. See my posting on Jan 29 and Jan 30.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1679&start=100

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
mm

You are damn FUNNY!! :lol: I especially like your "SMILE AND LAUGH" thread.

back to short - so usually you will go away after a week of down market (before the rebound). is there any reason why? is it because market falls the most during the 1st week of downturn confirmation but alot of people will buy on on dips?

an elementary question, why is it in your opinion that longs are easier than shorts? (eg. you invest only 1/3 of $ in shorts vs fully invested in longs?) what are the challenges of shorting?

(oops... sorry winston - i know this qn should be under the shorts discussion thread)

Edit (mistake: i like "smile and laugh" more than crab thread)

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby millionairemind » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:31 pm

The first few days of falls are usually the greatest.. that is all.

Longs are easier because ppe. are hopeful by nature and I am a die hard optimist. I have to be, in order to survive as a trader, esp. after the market wallop me real bad. haha.. :P

Another thing is most ppe. are trained to go longs.. so when market follow thro' and unless there is a specific reason for it to break again, typically, I don't get stopped out at 7% when I enter my positions.
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby winston » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi A,

If you short a Govt Linked Company, they have alot of fire-power to support the counter.

I prefer to have a good reason why I'm shorting the counter. Price Action alone is not an adequate reason.

Take care,
Winston

P/S We can discuss SGX in the SGX thread. It depends on where u see ADT.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:06 am

kennynah wrote:
not a good idea... why would you expect a stock to drop just becos it has rallied for 3 - 4 folds? your reasoning that becos peoplewill want to take profit is an anticipation of an event happening...that may not happen at your entry price...

bro asp : you have been around in this forum and other financial forum for sometime now... i am sure you are NOT a noobie in investing, no ?

kenny, noted on your point. i have never shorted, so trying to learn more.
I have been "investing" for a few yrs, thinking i am good (but i'm just lucky and in midst of bull run) but am wallop big time recently.

noobie? i think i am worse than a noobie... :oops:

Aspellian
Boss

Postby HengHeng » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 am

well .. personally .. it is a paradigm that people put themselves in ..

You need to have a paradigm shift to change the way u trade ..

One way just think it this way .. buy or sell (long/short) is just a way of putting your thoughts to play .. just like buying 4D or buy soccer .. there is only 2 outcomes .. either u lose or you win ..

whats so hard ? .. can buy puts also mah .. same as short .. who tell u must die die .. SHORT the market .. buy puts lor .. if u not comfortable SELLING

sorry for hijacking .. LOL recently got sometime to post nonsense better post first later buzy cannot post again .. LOL
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:30 am

heng heng...cb....u mia knn... welcome back ;)

run road is ir?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby HengHeng » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:37 am

ya run around busy .. LOL
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby Aspellian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks Heng Heng for your reply. :)

wish that you get the property/properties you have been eyeing!

Aspellian
Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas