CANSLIM & Momentum Investing 01 (May 08 - Jul 09)

Re: CANSLIM & Momentum Investing

Postby Aspellian » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 am

Hi MM,

Nasdaq today dropped 2.3% (40+points). CNBC.com indicated Tue's volume to be 662million vs 632million on Monday, which seems to suggest that a distribution day is logged.
But IBD indicated that volume is lighter so no distribution day recorded?

Is it because IBD uses average volume of last XX days? My understanding of distribution day is when the day's volume is more than yesterday and index down >0.4%. Can you please help to shed some light? thanks!

Also out of curiousity - why IBD (after putting it on "My Stock Lists") do not indicate volume and volume % change for Dow and S&P but only Nasdaq?

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Re: CANSLIM & Momentum Investing

Postby millionairemind » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:15 am

A,

If you have direct questions to IBD, you can email them directly. :D I do it lots of times.

Look closely at the volume logged and you will see the difference in TOTAL VOL. IBD tracks volume on the Nasdaq OMX exchange as well as NYSE... there are other trades that are done on regional exchanges.

Edited to include - A, I read your question wrongly. I tot you were asking about total volume differences, such as the ones between stockchart and IBD. Sometimes there are slight differences between IBD and market data center from WSJ on the total vol., since I practice CANSLIM, I follow IBD's info.

Total exchanges volume are recorded on the first page. If you want to see SP500 and DOW, go to the General Market View.

Since we do no allow any selling on this forum (lest I become known as koyok seller :P), if you have specific questions on IBD or email to them, you can PM me.

Cheers,
mm
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Previous

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas