INVESTIDEAS List of SEVEN DEADLY TRADING/INVESTING SINS

1. Greed, Fear, Arrogance, Ignorance

2. Not Cutting Loss

3. Not Letting Profits Run

4. Trading/Investing Without a Plan

5. Trading/Investing using Excessive Leverage

6. Fully Invested All The Time

7. Tweaking Initial Exits due to Emotions

I thought, it might be interesting for all of us to participate in gathering the 7 deadliest sins of trading/investing. We read from so many authors on this subject.

But I wanted for us to write based on personal trading/investing experiences... it is fine to state some of the common ones, better to exude some less published ones, if any...

My intention is to eventually rank them in order of toxicity, for some fun...

If enough people participate, I will collate the inputs and put them up for a final Vote...if there's such a function....and then, wah lah..

We will have a Huatopedia's 7 Deadly Trading/Investing Sins

admin : if you feel this needs to be relocated, please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate location..

let me start with a few

Trading/Investing Without a Plan
Not Monitoring Mental Stops
Tweaking Initial Exits due to Emotions
Last edited by kennynah on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Re: 7 Deadly Sins of Trading / Investing

Postby millionairemind » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:18 pm

A couple from me :D

1. Not taking small losses and then finally has to take THE MOTHER OF ALL LOSSES..

2. Not taking profits when it hits your target, hankering around for more and watch the profit turn into a loss
"If a speculator is correct half of the time, he is hitting a good average. Even being right 3 or 4 times out of 10 should yield a person a fortune if he has the sense to cut his losses quickly on the ventures where he has been wrong" - Bernard Baruch

Disclaimer - The author may at times own some of the stocks mentioned in this forum. All discussions are NOT to be construed as buy/sell recommendations. Readers are advised to do their own research and analysis.
millionairemind
Big Boss

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:22 pm

- Pride - Refuse to cut loss - believe that initial research is right and need to be proven right
- Sloth - Buy based on rumours / without research
- Greed - excessive margin

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION
DELIGHT, DISCIPLINE, DILIGENT, DETERMINATION, DESIRE

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:29 pm

Aspellian wrote:- Greed - excessive margin

asp : just to clarify...by the above, do you mean

excessive leveraging?
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:32 pm

kennynah wrote:
Aspellian wrote:- Greed - excessive margin

asp : just to clarify...by the above, do you mean

excessive leveraging?

yes. leverage can be useful if used widely. but many a times it is a double-edged sword that cuts deeply. it can be only used if one cuts loss with discipline.

PROMISE, PASSION, PEACE, POWER, PURPOSE, PLAN, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE, PROTECTION

"Its not whether you're right or wrong thats important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." - Warren Buffet
Aspellian
Boss

Postby winston » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Dear All,

I think this thread should be in the "Other Investment Ideas" section rather than the "Misc." section. I will move this thread into that section later.

Some of the stuff in this thread overlaps with "School of Hard Knocks" or "Trader's Thread". If you like, I can merge this thread with either one of those threads. Kennynah - since you started this thread, please let me know what you like me to do.

Take care,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:41 pm

as i mentioned, please feel free to move this to anywhere you like... thanks...

kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:46 pm

On second thought, we can keep the title as it is.

From me, the deadly sins are:-
1) chasing a stock based on a reason that you understand eg. QDII Money coming to Spore to buy S-Chips, asset injection
2) buying a stock based on wrong impression eg. a lot of the S-Chips are very small companies and have very small market shares
3) trusting the Analysts. A lot of these guys / gals have not even been thru one economic cycle
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:46 pm

winston wrote:On second thought, we can keep the title as it is.

From me, the deadly sins are:-
1) chasing a stock based on a reason that you understand eg. QDII Money coming to Spore to buy S-Chips, asset injection

Hi Winston do you mean "based on a reason you DON'T Understand"??

Aspellian
Boss

Postby Aspellian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Another sin - Falling in LOVE with a stock, holding on till the end of time eg. riding Chartered from S$1 to S$17 to S$0.10 and now $2!! :lol:

Aspellian
Boss

Next

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas