Bartering

Bartering

Postby winston » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:19 pm

This for that: Singapore embraces barter in recession

By Puja Bharwani SINGAPORE, April 20 (Reuters Life!) - Hair styling in exchange for printing jobs. Feng shui services for marketing expertise.

It isn't your typical mode of business, but as the recession bites, many people and enterprises in Singapore are turning to the age-old practice of barter to pay bills and cut costs.

But gone are the days of the simple one-to-one direct barter.

Currently, there are two online barter exchanges -- Barter Vista and BarterXchange -- and they are attracting hundreds of people seeking innovative ways to stretch their dollars.

"Barter Vista is where business owners, especially small and medium enterprises, come together to barter trade their excessive inventory or their slow time, in return for things that they will otherwise use cash to buy," said Chew Chee Yong, managing director of Barter Vista, which has about 400 members.

"For example, my printer, one of my members, barter-traded his spare capacity in return for staff benefits, or even dining vouchers and insurance," he added.

From business to beauty, there's something for everyone on the barter websites.

Daisy Leng gets her hair styled at Tranzform Hair Studio, also a barter website member, which in turn gets printing and web publishing services from another member.

Users of the site pay a one-time joining fee of $520. Members who offer their services earn a barter currency which can be traded for products or services. For every transaction conducted, Barter Vista takes a cash commission.

These days, the services most traded are printing, marketing, public relations and advertising, according to Chew.

Angela Sim, a senior marketing executive, has been a member of Barter Vista for three years and says bartering benefits everybody involved.

She has been doing marketing for Geek Terminal, a restaurant, and in return for her expertise, she got advice on feng shui, or the ancient Chinese belief of geomancy, to arrange her home and office, which would have otherwise cost her thousands of dollars.

"Any business that has spare capacity or down-time will find bartering useful. Or even during these tough economic times, where they find cash is hard to come by," Sim said.

For the owners of Geek Terminal, Danny Pang and Christopher Lee, bartering enabled them to obtain a sophisticated marketing campaign that cost them up to 70 percent less than what they would have paid if they had gone the traditional way.

Although bartering is relatively new in Singapore, Barter Vista's Chew expects the site's trade volume and membership to double in 2009, largely due to the global economic crisis.

In 2007, trade volume was worth around $800,000.

According to the International Reciprocal Trade Association, the modern trade and barter industry facilitates 12 billion dollars in business-to-business barter transactions worldwide annually.
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: Bartering

Postby helios » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:28 pm

In 2006 - 2007, i used to barter for my marketing budget with restaurant vochure worthed $110K in total?

Because the niche market in singapore is very small, bartering does not really work if the counterparty has a bad credit and history ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby winston » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 pm

The membership cost Sin$520. Sounds expensive !

Huatopedia is free and I think we provide more value :P :?
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby helios » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 pm

seriously, i advise people not to barter within the exchange. look under the entrepren. thread, i filed some comments there ...

$520, they claimed that it is for admin and some standards fees ...
helios
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:08 am

anyone wants to barter trade an iphone with me...u name me what you want...
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:42 am

There are now communities in the US that are printing their own money. That's because they want the money to stay and circulate within their own community. Wonder how big it will become ?

==================================

Competing currency being accepted across Mid-Michigan by Dan Armstrong

New types of money are popping up across Mid-Michigan and supporters say, it's not counterfeit, but rather a competing currency.

Right now, you can buy a meal or visit a chiropractor without using actual U.S. legal tender.

They sound like real money and look like real money. But you can't take them to the bank because they're not made at a government mint. They're made at private mints.

"I sell three or four every single day and then I get one or two back a week," said Dave Gillie, owner of Gillies Coney Island Restaurant in Genesee Township.

Gillie also accepts silver, gold, copper and other precious metals to pay for food.

He says, if he wanted to, he could accept marbles.

"Do people have to accept dollars or money? No, they don't," Gillie said. "They can accept anything they want or they can refuse to accept anything."

He's absolutely right.

The U.S. Treasury Department says the Coinage Act of 1965 says "private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash, unless there is a state law which says otherwise."

That allows gas stations to say they don't accept 50- or $100 bills after a certain time of day in hopes of not getting robbed.

A chiropractic office in Lapeer County's Deerfield Township allows creativity when it comes to payment.

"This establishment accepts any form of silver, gold, chicken, apple pie, if someone works it out with me," said Jeff Kotchounian of Deerfield Chiropractic. "I've taken many things."

Jeff Kotchounian says he's used this Ron Paul half troy ounce of silver to get $25 worth of gas from a local station.

While the government and banks don't accept them, many others do.

So why is there interest in these competing currencies?

Is it just novelty or is there something deeper?

http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/ ... ?id=481793
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby kennynah » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm

He says, if he wanted to, he could accept marbles.

early say mah... i plenty of nice looking marbles from childhood days... maybe i can use them to buy a house in michigan... :lol:
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby winston » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:09 am

Top Post-Collapse Barter Items And Trade Skills by Brandon Smith

The concept of private barter and alternative economies has been so far removed from our daily existence here in America that the very idea of participating in commerce without the use of dollars or without the inclusion of corporate chains seems almost outlandish to many people.

However, the fact remains that up until very recently (perhaps the last three to four decades) barter and independent trade was commonplace in this country. Without it, many families could not have survived.

Top Priority Goods

To be sure, this list is a summary of items that will have high value during and after a breakdown scenario.

Water Filtration: Stock up on water filters. Learn how water filtration works. Even make your own water filters using cloth, activated charcoal, and colloidal silver.

Seeds: Non-GMO seeds are a currency unto themselves. They can last for years if stored properly, and everyone will want them, even if they don’t have land to plant them.

Fresh Produce: Don’t think you can live on beef jerky and canned beans for months on end. You need fresh vegetables and fruits, and the vitamins they supply.

Long Shelf Life Foods: In every single account of modern economic collapse I have read, the people involved kick themselves brutally for not stocking more food that didn’t require refrigeration.

Sealed food kits would be highly valued trade items, as long as they contained necessities like grains (wheat or rice store well), salt (the human body will not function without salt), honey or maple syrup (the body needs sugars), and powdered milk, peanut butter, or any other foods with fat content (the body needs fats).

Food Producing Animals: Chickens are great for eating, but they also produce eggs. Cows and Goats can be slaughtered, but they also produce milk. Sheep can be easily herded towards your dinner plate, but they also produce wool. Rabbits make a good stew, but they also produce lots of other rabbits.

Solar Power: The key is to ensure that you have a continuous means of diverting electricity. Depending on your budget, you can purchase solar panels that can be folded and carried with you for charging batteries, or, you can purchase entire arrays and battery banks that run your whole house. Wind generators, as well as water driven generators (as used often in Bosnia) are also a consideration.

Firewood: Even with solar power, home heating will become a major concern for every household during and after a breakdown. The best way to do this is with a wood stove, or a fireplace.

Gasoline And Oil: After the price hits $15, $30, $60 a gallon due to hyperinflation, and a little time passes, I think people will begin finding ways to live without it, or they will reduce its use to emergency tasks.

Desire for gas will always be there, especially in agricultural areas where one tractor could help sow the seeds that feed an entire town. But beyond storage, I would suggest learning ways to distill your own corn ethanol and alcohol based fuels. This is where the real barter potential is.

Silver And Gold: Gold and silver have remained common currencies for thousands of years despite any catastrophe. In Argentina, in the midst of complete meltdown and monetary chaos, when people were shooting each other in the streets for food on a daily basis, gold and silver became king, and still are.

Firearms And Ammo:The problem is, the selection of calibers is so varied within the U.S. that stocking anything that will be needed by everyone is very difficult. The only recourse is to stick with common military calibers, such as 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, .223, 7.62 by 39, 7.62 by 51 (.308), 12 gauge, .410, and 20 gauge shotgun shells, and the ever pervasive .22. Stocking these calibers will result in a much greater chance of trade.

Body Armor: The fact that body armor is relatively cheap and is easily obtained in the U.S. should be taken advantage of by barter networks. This advantage may not exist in a couple of years.

Tazers And Pepper Spray: Easy to purchase and stockpile here in America. Better than nothing when facing armed attackers. Disables without death (in most cases), and easier on the conscience. Trades well.

Various Tools: A garden hoe may be a novelty item to most suburbanites and city dwellers now, but soon, it will be a mainstay tool. What tools do you see being required for daily use? What would YOU need post collapse?

Pesticides: A hoard of locusts could annihilate your crop within a day given the chance, and should be dealt with using the most powerful means available.

Cockroach and rat poisons will also be huge sellers, guaranteed. Vermin thrive in unkempt human environments, whether in the country or the city, and with them comes disease.

Warm Clothing: Clothes made specifically for harsh cold or rough wear are harder to some by, and are often very expensive.This is where you would want to focus your investments.

Gortex, for instance, could give you incredible bartering potential. Wool socks are a rarity (how many people do you know with more than two pairs of wool socks?). Water resistant and water proof jackets and overcoats, boots, well made hiking shoes, and waterproofing chemicals and sprays will be needed within trade networks. The ability to make these items, or repair them, will also be valued.

Medicines: Antibiotics, Painkillers, Herbs, Vitamins etc.

Toiletries: Stock toilet paper, but don’t treat it as a priority. Focus more on cleaning items like soap, toothpaste, and bleach, as well as chemicals that cause human waste to quickly biodegrade.

Specialty Items: The market for goods such as potassium iodide pills and Geiger counters would explode

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-prepa ... s_06102011
winston
Billionaire Boss

Return to Other Investment Instruments & Ideas