Pilot Testing

Pilot Testing

Postby blid2def » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 am

As some of you may have noticed, we're now pilot testing some new stuff on this forum. In this forum: ALPHA TEST: Information Feeds, you'll see that we've added a few topics that point to some information obtained from external sources (right now, FXStreet and Briefing.com)

Basically, these topics contain information (or widgets) supplied or syndicated by the content providers. The information is updated on a periodic basis (daily, weekly, etc. whichever is applicable for that particular data feed). As this information is being pulled as they're viewed, please bear a little with any slowness you might experience.

There are some quirks, as you can see (mainly cosmetic), and we'll try to see if we can get those fixed along the way. Meanwhile, please do give them a try, and provide:

(1) Your feedback on these features - e.g. if they're helpful or not, the performance, etc.
(2) Your suggestions on other information that would be good to include.

My intention is not to overdo things - e.g. I'm not going to syndicate news items from all the service providers like Reuters, Bloomberg, etc. I'm specifically looking out for obscure but useful data & tools, etc. For example, if there's a RSS feed for BDI, it'd be great 'cos we'll then save some manual effort in the daily pull, copy and paste, etc.

Anyway, enjoy! (or maybe not). :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: Pilot Testing...

Postby HengHeng » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 am

that time have the google or something feeds on top one thin line actually i feel that one not bad. Maybe what we can do is to add something like and add major indices as well as fx or news to it.
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:22 am

HengHeng wrote:that time have the google or something feeds on top one thin line actually i feel that one not bad. Maybe what we can do is to add something like and add major indices as well as fx or news to it.

Oh the indexes one? Yeah, that one was some widgets from another source... but problem was that the data wasn't too accurate and it was soooooo slow... LOL. I'm still on the lookout for better sources. Definitely good to have those back.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Okay - index tickers are up! :D I'm not sure if they're really working as intended - we'll know when trading hours start tomorrow.

Some points to take note of:

Data sources:
- US Major mkt indices (Dow, S&P, NASDAQ x 2) = Google Finance
- VIX, VNX and Asian mkt indices = Yahoo! Finance

Delay:
- I pull data from Google / Yahoo in the background every 5 minutes during the markets' trading hours (and +/- 1 hour after & before) on weekdays.
- Background polling improves performance, but perhaps at the cost of a little bit more delay in the quoted data.
- The databar in the forum auto-updates every 5 minutes.
- Google Finance data is now supposed to be near real-time; Yahoo! Finance data is (I think) up to 15 minutes delayed.
- Together with the polling & refresh + network latency delays, you should expect between 5 to 20 minutes' data delay or so.

Remember this is still in Alpha Test phase, so please bear with me while I test and observe. :D

p.s. As you can see, there's limited room for me to put stuff, but feel free to suggest any other useful data, and I'll see if it's possible to work them in. Probably not in this phase though, but I'll see what can be done. No promises though! :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby iam802 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks GR.

The indices are great.

Much better than the one that you experiement with previously.
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby blid2def » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:21 pm

iam802 wrote:Thanks GR.

The indices are great.

Much better than the one that you experiement with previously.

Haha... thank you... let's see if they work first. :D
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Postby kennynah » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:29 pm

i expressed my appreciation on GR's great work on the indexes in our "private" forum thread....

and let me repeat....great admin work !!! thumbs and toes up !!!
Options Strategies & Discussions .(Trading Discipline : The Science of Constantly Acting on Knowledge Consistently - kennynah).Investment Strategies & Ideas

Image..................................................................<A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control-Proverbs 29:11>.................................................................Image
kennynah
Lord of the Lew Lian

Postby learn2win » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:09 am

GR,

Thank you for spending so much effort and your precious time in bringing more info to this forum. I really like the indices at the top.

Cheers GR. :)
Guard Thy Treasure from Losses - The Fourth Cure for a Lean Purse - George Clason
learn2win
Coolie

Postby HengHeng » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:54 am

i think the RSS feeds will spam the active topic and bring down the other posts .. erm can we do something like that side bar that we have on window vista for RSS feeds and hidable?
Beh Ki Jiu Lou , Beh lou Jiu Ki lor < Newton's law of gravity , but what don't might not come back

In the game of poker , "if you've been in the game 30mins and you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy
HengHeng
Permanent Loafer

Postby blid2def » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 am

HengHeng wrote:i think the RSS feeds will spam the active topic and bring down the other posts .. erm can we do something like that side bar that we have on window vista for RSS feeds and hidable?

Eh... that one challenging lol... my coding skillz not that super yet lol...

Yeah aware of the RSS feeds creating the Active Topics issue... working on it now. I think there might be a solution for this. Bear with me for a while.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Next

Return to Feature & Support Requests + Bug Reports