New Postings

New Postings

Postby winston » Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi grandrake,

I'm sorry for comparing our forum with WS as I'm more used to the WS format.

Is there any way that we can highlight a new posting, maybe thru a different color ?

Right now, when ever there is a new post, we will not know that there is a new post, unless we look at the date and time.

In WS, they have a main page and whenever there is a new posting, it will appear in that main page.

Thanks,
Winston
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Re: New Postings

Postby blid2def » Fri May 09, 2008 9:00 pm

You mean a separate page to see all the new posts? Or do you mean that the new posts in a forum are not obvious?

For the 2nd case - look to the left, the icon colour (red) means there's a new post. :D

For the 1st case - that actually duplicates with "View New Posts". However, I know what you mean. I'll think about this. There are various ways to do this and I need to think about what's the best way. Also, the main browsers now already have RSS (live feed or live bookmarks) support, so that might be one way to do it - enable them to get livefeeds rather than build a new page. The forum should be as lean as possible, is the way I look at it.

Sometimes, things should be offloaded from the server and given back to the user to use his/her browser's features. That's good for the user as well because it means he/she learns something that can be used everywhere.

I promise you I'll think this over though. :)
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Re: New Postings

Postby blid2def » Sat May 10, 2008 10:18 am

Just an update - there are some syndication mods/add-ons being developed / beta-tested right now; I'll look at them when they're released. Right now, we'll just have to use the "View New Posts" thang...

Just to give a little bit of background on this topic of adding features and stuff:
- The forum platform we're using is phpBB3 (ver 3.0.1). It's a free and open source forum s/w.

- This is a pretty new version of the forum software, released just within the last few months.

- phpBB3 comes with a core set of features. Additional features are enabled by applying code-changes which are packaged in a "MOD" (modifications).

- MODs are developed by the community (gotta' love open sauce).

- The phpBB developers and maintenance community have a process for testing and releasing these MODs.

- I can always use MODs that are in beta mode (i.e. still in testing phase) of course; but I don't want to do that. I'll only implement "released" MODs in this forum.

- A lot of MODs are available for the older forum software version (phpBB2) but the migration/testing/release of these for phpBB3 are now in catch-up mode because phpBB3 is relatively new and features quite a fair bit of core code changes from phpBB2 (the way I understand it anyway).

- Hence, when I receive a feature request, I'll acknowledge it, evaluate the request, do a check for existing MODs, install them if available (or track them if they're in beta), and respond. Don't want to go into details on the thought/implementation process, but that's basically how I handle the requests.

Hopefully, this gives some clarity to everyone on how feature requests work here.
blid2def
Permanent Loafer

Return to Feature & Support Requests + Bug Reports