Australia 02 (Jan 11 - Dec 25)

Re: Australia 02 (Jan 11 - Dec 12)

Postby iam802 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 am

winston wrote:I think Left is for Logic, Right is for Arts.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
1. Always wait for the setup. NO SETUP; NO TRADE

2. The trend will END but I don't know WHEN.

TA and Options stuffs on InvestIdeas:
The Ichimoku Thread | Option Strategies Thread | Japanese Candlesticks Thread
iam802
Big Boss

Postby iam802 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Rate cut coming?
---
Australia GDP Grows at Half the Forecast Pace

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-0 ... using.html

iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:25 am

My Favorite Candidate for the "Next Switzerland" By Dr. Steve Sjuggerud

Even the heads of billion-dollar banks are catching on to my "Next Switzerland" idea…

Yesterday, I was looking at North Florida real estate with EverBank founder Frank Trotter. "Hey Steve, I've got to apologize to you," he told me. "I gave a speech this morning to the World Affairs Council. I told them about your 'Next Switzerland' idea. But I forgot to attribute you. Sorry about that!"

I told him, "No worries, Frank. I'm glad to get the word out on one of the world's last 'safe havens'"…

For decades, investors put their money in Switzerland's currency, for safety.

Switzerland's currency used to be considered the world's strongest, with a significant gold backing.

But in recent years, Switzerland has been selling its gold. And last year, Switzerland announced it would purposely weaken its currency… It promised to print as much money necessary to weaken the Swiss franc versus the euro.

It's worked!

In short, by selling its gold and purposely weakening its currency, Switzerland ain't what it used to be as a safe haven – at least as a place to put your cash.

So if not Switzerland, where can you put your money to keep it safe going forward? Where will your money be treated well? Where can you earn a decent interest rate, in a country that isn't going broke?

Australia…

Today, I think of Australia has the potential to be the "Next Switzerland."

The situation in Australia today shares a lot of similarities with what caused Switzerland's currency to soar:
• Australia is very rich (its government owns its gold and resources).
• Australia has very little debt (it will be net debt free by 2020).
• It's a safe haven (it likely won't be invaded).
• It has strong banks today (particularly after the economic crisis).
• It has a legitimate rule of law.
• It has a strong currency (implicitly backed by resources).
A lot of that sounds like Switzerland of old to me!

Additionally, interest rates in Australia are high… unlike interest rates in the U.S. and in Europe.

These high short-term interest rates are expected to hang around in Australia through 2013, as Australia remains committed to preventing inflation (just the opposite of the U.S. and Europe).

Investors always move their money to where it's treated best… And with high interest rates, in a safe country, investors will continue to move their money to Australia in the coming years.

I believe it's possible the Australian dollar could "settle in" at ridiculously overvalued levels for the very long term… just like the Swiss franc did for decades.

I'm talking about a level much higher than today – a level that makes no sense to academics… but makes sense to safety-seeking investors.

The one risk here is that the Australian dollar is highly correlated to commodity prices. But the Australian government is in better shape to handle a crisis than any country in the world.

The typical government "tools" to fight back a crisis are to
1) borrow money and
2) cut interest rates.
With no real debt and a high deposit rate, Australia has plenty of room to do both of these today to fend off any crisis.

For the long run, Australia's dollar is safe. It might just be the last safe country on earth for your money.

If it does take on "safe haven" status – as sort of a Next Switzerland – the Australian dollar could soar higher than anyone can imagine right now. It's time to be invested in Aussie dollars for the long run, earning more interest than you can in the U.S. – and safely, too.

The simplest way for Americans to own Aussie dollars is through the CurrencyShares Australian Dollar Trust (FXA). It's an exchange-traded fund you can buy through any U.S. broker. It currently pays a 3.75% dividend.

Frank Trotter's firm EverBank also offers a variety of ways to get your money into the Aussie dollar, including FDIC-insured CDs denominated in Aussie dollars, a foreign bond denominated in Aussie dollars, and the ability to hold Aussie dollar in a U.S. bank account.

You can contact EverBank's World Markets department to find out about these things. Call 800-926-4922 or e-mail [email protected].

However you do it… if you're looking for a safe haven for your money… if you're looking to get your money out of the U.S. dollar and the euro… consider the Aussie dollar.

It could turn out to be the Next Switzerland – the next great safe place for your cash.

Source: Daily Wealth
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:36 am

Australia Posts Surprise Trade Deficit

(RTTNews) - Australia saw a seasonally adjusted merchandise trade deficit of A$673 million in January, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said on Friday.

That was sharply lower than forecasts for a surplus of A$1.5 billion following the surplus of A$1.709 billion in December.

Exports declined 8.0 percent on year to A$25.372 trillion, down 8 percent from A$27.651 trillion in the previous month.

Non-rural goods fell 6 percent or A$1.193 billion, while non-monetary gold plummeted 56 percent or A$1.070 billion and rural goods fell 5 percent or A$137 million.

Net exports of goods under merchanting surged 50 percent or A$3 million. Services credits jumped 3 percent or A$118 million.

Imports eased an annual 1.0 percent to A$26.045 trillion, down from A$26.326 trillion a month earlier.

Intermediate and other merchandise goods shed 5 percent or A$477 million and capital goods lost 1 percent or A$75 million.

Consumption goods climbed 3 percent or A$164 million and non-monetary gold jumped 6 percent or A$28 million. Services debits added 2 percent or A$79 million.

http://www.rttnews.com/Story.aspx?Id=1837555
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby iam802 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:36 pm

WikiLeaks’ Assange to run for Australian Senate

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/17/w ... an-senate/

iam802
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 am

Wolf ! Wolf !

Australia Heading for ‘Mother of All Hard Landings’: Pros By: Ansuya Harjani

Australia is headed for the “mother of all hard landings,” according to Société Générale strategist Albert Edwards, who says the country’s “credit bubble” could burst if China’s economy suffers a sharp slowdown.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47290031
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun May 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Sam Chong – First Malaysian-born billionaire in Australia

MELBOURNE: Mining magnate Sam Chong has become Australia's first Malaysian-born billionaire as revealed by the latest Business Review Weekly (BRW) Richest 200 list.

A self-made man, Chong, 69, who was born in Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands, increased his wealth by A$50mil (RM153.623mil) from last year's A$950mil (RM2.918bil).

Another Malaysian is close to joining the Billionaires' Club. He is award-winning Queensland property developer Maha Sinnathamby, 72, who is listed as having A$820mil (RM2.519bil) and his kitty is increasing rapidly by the month.

Two other Malaysians have again made the BRW Rich list this year.

David Teoh and his wife Vicky, both 56, have increased their wealth from A$484mil (RM1.487bil) last year to A$525mil (RM1.613bil), money made from technology ventures.

Source: Bernama

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 pm

RBA cut rates by 25 bps
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 am

Australia warned mining boom could end in two years

Australia's mining boom will slow more sharply than expected and could be over within two years , due to easing demand from China and falling prices, according to a leading economic forecaster.

Mining exports to industrialising Asian nations, chiefly China, helped Australia weather the global crisis without entering recession and prompted Canberra to promise a budget surplus for the 2012-13 fiscal year starting July 1.

But Australia's leading private-sector budget forecaster Deloitte Access Economics on Monday said the surplus plans could be undone as China slows and with coal and iron ore prices dropping.

Its June quarterly business outlook said while the mining sector continued to drive economic growth and provide a buffer from problems in Europe and China, it would not last forever.

"The strong bit of Australia's two-speed economy won't stay strong for more than another two years or so," Deloitte said, referring to the mining boom.

In an interview with ABC radio, Deloitte director Chris Richardson said demand in key markets for Australian minerals was slowing.

"China is slowing, India is slowing, Brazil is slowing. And you're seeing those prices come off at the same time as costs have risen in Australia in recent years," he said.

Australia's economy expanded by 3.2 percent in the year to June 2012.

Source: AFP Asian Edition

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?a ... &buid=3281
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Australia says resources boom has peaked

Finance Minister Penny Wong has played down fears of a collapse in the mining boom, a day after Resources and Energy minister Martin Ferguson said the days of record commodity prices are gone.

Australia declared the top of the resources boom, which had cushioned the country against the global financial crisis, a day after the world's biggest miner BHP Billiton shelved two major expansion plans worth at least $40 billion.

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/min ... &sn=Detail
winston
Billionaire Boss

PreviousNext

Return to ASIA, OCEANIA & AFRICA: Data, News & Commentaries